The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like there are 8 available from this retailer on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airaid-Parnelli-Jones-Cold-Air-Intake-System-2012-Boss-302-Mustang-Carbon-Fiber-/110910797405

I checked with Airaid and they said the proper cold air intake was part #450-321 (non carbon fiber) for the Boss with the 84.5 mm TB installed. They did not have a suggestion for a coupler though. I think both are 4" outside diameter but there is apparently a bend right where a coupler would fit the two together.

What have others used for a coupler?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Brewmaster said:
I checked with Airaid and they said the proper cold air intake was part #450-321 (non carbon fiber) for the Boss with the 84.5 mm TB installed. They did not have a suggestion for a coupler though. I think both are 4" outside diameter but there is apparently a bend right where a coupler would fit the two together.

What have others used for a coupler?

No bend. I used this one from eBay on my 2012 and it worked flawlessly. I bought part number 453-174 which has the PJ carbon fiber tube and the blue no-oil filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-to-4-Silicone-Straight-Coupler-Hose-Silicon-Intercooler-Turbo-Black-/200746159552?hash=item2ebd674dc0

You would ASSume so but it's not the case.I got caught up in the same BS when I started looking two months ago.I finally called a few of them and the response was"If we do not show it in stock we won't be able to sell it."
I was taken a little off guard by that response,but that is the deal.
They are just trying to sucker us in.
My response was to order from Jegs.Good people and upfront about availability.
Ordered 2/27,supposed to be to me by 4/18.
Good Luck!

RRBoss302 said:
Looks like there are 8 available from this retailer on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airaid-Parnelli-Jones-Cold-Air-Intake-System-2012-Boss-302-Mustang-Carbon-Fiber-/110910797405

I've been following the thread over at SVT for some time.

I'm still having a hard time believing OP gained 39 hp going from stock with silver key to CAI + TB + red key. That just sounds too good to be true.

If other people duplicate the same result, I'll definitely be getting this CAI and TB plus the Kooks shorty headers. That should be a 50+ hp gain without voiding warranty, no emissions/inspection issues, and get to keep all the Track Key goodies like the launch control, engine braking, etc. But again, sounds too good to be true.

Rich_S said:
I've been following the thread over at SVT for some time.

I'm still having a hard time believing OP gained 39 hp going from stock with silver key to CAI + TB + red key. That just sounds too good to be true.

If other people duplicate the same result, I'll definitely be getting this CAI and TB plus the Kooks shorty headers. That should be a 50+ hp gain without voiding warranty, no emissions/inspection issues, and get to keep all the Track Key goodies like the launch control, engine braking, etc. But again, sounds too good to be true.

I too have been following this thread.
- Where is the "magazine review?"
- Where are others who have performed this mod?
Anyone??

lbp said:
I too have been following this thread.
- Where is the "magazine review?"
- Where are others who have performed this mod?
Anyone??

Glad to see I'm not alone. People jumped on me on the other forum just for questioning the results.

It's debatable whether even a CAI with a bigger MAF housing (requiring a tune) makes more than about 10 hp max. Yet OP saw a gain of 17 hp from a no tune CAI (with a sleeve installed to shrink the MAF housing back to the stock size) with the silver key and a gain of 23 hp with the red key? The gain from the TB seems a little more believable though it's still at the high end of what I'd expect.

The magazine article has already been posted over a month ago.

I have the TB and CF CAI and my butt dyno tells it it's worth exactly 11.2 HP. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
The magazine article has already been posted over a month ago.

I have the TB and CF CAI and my butt dyno tells it it's worth exactly 11.2 HP. ;)

Sounds about right!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The airaid was worth some power for sure. Now I am willing to bet that he drives on the silver key a lot and the ecu dumbed down the tune a little. And the red key had little use and was still running full timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbp said:
NFSBOSS;
Do you happen to know what the article's findings were?
Or what mag/month?
Thanks in advance.
Here you go. It's the June 2014 issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords starting on page 114.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1406-how-to-install-the-airaid-mxp-intake-system/

And something else to read:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1406-boss-302-bolt-on-upgrades-haul-natural/

2012-ford-mustang-airaid-mxp-cai-dyno.jpg
boss-302-cai-installation

parnelli-jones-carbon-fiber

NFSBOSS said:
Here you go. It's the June 2014 issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords starting on page 114.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1406-how-to-install-the-airaid-mxp-intake-system/

And something else to read:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1406-boss-302-bolt-on-upgrades-haul-natural/

2012-ford-mustang-airaid-mxp-cai-dyno.jpg
boss-302-cai-installation

parnelli-jones-carbon-fiber

Hey thanks NFSBOSS! This is great!

but is there an article anywhere that includes the accufab? (did I miss something?)

RRBoss302 said:
The mag article was ONLY for the CAI. I added the TB later on my own.

OK, so what were the results?
I seem to remember dyno sheets with no numbers.
Now that the story is out, how 'bout those dyno numbers??

RRBoss302 said:
Ok guys, let me clarify and break down the numbers and mods.

Here's the dyno sheet from the day we shot the tech article. The runs are, in order:

1) stock CAI and stock TB using silver key (Runfile 002)

2) stock CAI and stock TB using red key (Runfile 003)

3) Airaid CAI and stock TB using silver key (Runfile 006)

4) Airaid CAI and stock TB using red key (Runfile 008 )

**** I never made a pull with aftermarket TB and STOCK CAI****

a1598d1c3c40afc70b18cc39886ae0f9_zpsf2586f62.jpg

Now, I later went back with the Airaid and stock TB still on. I brought an Accufab 84.5mm to do some more back to back testing. The following is silver key before and after testing of the Accufab 84.5mm TB. No tune.

1) Airaid CAI and stock TB with silver key

2) Airaid CAI and Accufab 84.5mm TB with silver key

af388ac4662437c7d9d48bcb1176c350_zpsc6a2517a.jpg

The following dyno sheet is the same Airaid CAI with stock vs Accufab 84.5mm TB using red key.

1) Airaid and stock TB with red key

2) Airaid and Accufab 84.5mm TB with red key

The baselines with stock TB were actually a little higher than the day of the tech feature shoot. It's one of two things, either it's just because it was on a different day, or two, the ecu adapted to the Airaid CAI and it made even more power.

Either way, the end result was that I went from 372rwhp to 409rwhp and 336rwtq to 369rwtq on the red key, using only the Airaid CAI and Accufab 84.5mm TB. All with no tune. That's pretty huge IMO.

c69a1503eab07251929bfa411aa25bdf_zps36d3d100.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel