The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012Boss302 said:
Will a tune ever be in your future ????

Probably not anytime soon. I think the 20-25 rwhp gain that I'll likely see doesn't outweigh the loss of my warranty. I'm satisfied with the power it makes now. So well balanced to the chassis...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

The air/fuel ratio with the red key and 84.5 mm TB look a little lean, actually a lot lean, if you run that on a road race course you may just need the warranty. A tuner will get that into a 12.2 - 12.4:1 mixture and keep it from burning the pistons down during sustained running at WOT.
Steve

steveespo said:
The air/fuel ratio with the red key and 84.5 mm TB look a little lean, actually a lot lean, if you run that on a road race course you may just need the warranty. A tuner will get that into a 12.2 - 12.4:1 mixture and keep it from burning the pistons down during sustained running at WOT.
Steve

Agreed.
Good call Steve.

lbp said:
Good call Steve; I agree on your a/f observation.
I will say that When I called Accufab they were totally non-committal when I pushed on whether the factory tune would unconditionally accommodate their TB.
The guy I spoke, with who was a "Product Manager," had never heard of "Track Key." - That alone was enough for me to stay away.
As per RRBOSS302's intentions I do not think the security-blanket logic holds up; there will always be issues.
What the heck, we all know how flaky even Ford's tune/computer/harness/sensors, etc. can be, so RRBOSS302's dilemma is not unique.
Having said that, I too was hung up on the warranty paradoxes of enjoying a "factory hot rod."
However, the RR power plant now more that 2 years old is no longer an unknown.
There are plenty of good tuners who can create reliable maps for this beast.
Unfortunately that doesn't help RRBOSS302 either and none of this really addresses his warranty concerns.
...Bottom line: Ford could easily attribute any problems to "out-of-sight/out-of-mind" bolt-ons whether the part is in the Ford catalog or not.

This kinda reminds me of the BS we all went through with vendors trying to answer questions with a straight face about KOOKS LT cat issues a while back.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
That throttle body has Ford Racing laser etched in it for a reason. So you get a 2 year warranty on that part for manufacturing defects. Read the FRPP catalog disclaimers, if a part doesn't have the 50 state legal icon it is an off road/racing only part that can and void your new car warranty if deemed to contribute to a failure. You can bet if an engine fails that TB will be identified as a cause along with the non OEM intake.
In event of failure you could game the system by removing the offending parts and reinstalling the OEM parts, this could be construed as fraud though so be careful. I personally have no engine or drivetrain warranty since just about everything is modded.
Food for thought.
Steve

steveespo said:
That throttle body has Ford Racing laser etched in it for a reason. So you get a 2 year warranty on that part for manufacturing defects. Read the FRPP catalog disclaimers, if a part doesn't have the 50 state legal icon it is an off road/racing only part that can and void your new car warranty if deemed to contribute to a failure. You can bet if an engine fails that TB will be identified as a cause along with the non OEM intake.
In event of failure you could game the system by removing the offending parts and reinstalling the OEM parts, this could be construed as fraud though so be careful. I personally have no engine or drivetrain warranty since just about everything is modded.
Food for thought.
Steve

cj.JPG

Lee100oct_1.jpg

icon.jpg

steveespo said:
Lee
I'm right behind you, had to halt installation because I'm in Colorado.
6dd0ab9389cc3ec96b8ccfcb77d7f9d0_zpsa22ffedc.jpg
4ba453bc58f7c2e8d8ed01566be9f7b2_zps3faf866d.jpg
cf325564d0cd8f8fccebd9556b1a82e0_zps51a73736.jpg
0ec3137ed9b85563a7154bc7157d5228_zpsbdb06635.jpg
4be61b3dc4fa5329182852340a84d201_zps3cfa3598.jpg
Steve

Nice Steve.
5" Revolution CAI is the bomb.
Fits perfectly under the T Hood...
- Where do you track?

(CF Hood wrap) lol

fin%2520hood.JPG

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
steveespo said:
Steve

I concur with the 'a little lean' side of things and have been wondering for months why nobody has said anything about this yet. Especially on SVTP where all dyno charts get heavily analyzed and scrutinized.

The reason I believe this car was making more power with the Red Key is because it's programmed to run a little fat on the top end and the slightly under-metered setup can take advantage of it, then apparently squeeze a bunch of extra ponies out. The tradeoff is that you are taking away the intended safety buffer and cooling which should come from running a tad rich. Even if detonation isn't an issue, I'm sure this setup would run on the hot side on track.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
steveespo said:
Steve

So... I should expect you by later today to assist with my roll bar installation... or at least to drink beer?

;D

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
JScheier said:
So... I should expect you by later today to assist with my roll bar installation... or at least to drink beer?

;D
John
It would be cool to meet you, and I would help you with any car work since I am having withdrawals Were in Carbodale, where are you located?
Steve

steveespo said:
Lee
6dd0ab9389cc3ec96b8ccfcb77d7f9d0_zpsa22ffedc.jpg
4ba453bc58f7c2e8d8ed01566be9f7b2_zps3faf866d.jpg
cf325564d0cd8f8fccebd9556b1a82e0_zps51a73736.jpg
0ec3137ed9b85563a7154bc7157d5228_zpsbdb06635.jpg
4be61b3dc4fa5329182852340a84d201_zps3cfa3598.jpg
Steve

shiznit, I'm probably no more than 15-20 minutes from you. I could finish it for you :D

Grant 302 said:
I concur with the 'a little lean' side of things and have been wondering for months why nobody has said anything about this yet. Especially on SVTP where all dyno charts get heavily analyzed and scrutinized.

The reason I believe this car was making more power with the Red Key is because it's programmed to run a little fat on the top end and the slightly under-metered setup can take advantage of it, then apparently squeeze a bunch of extra ponies out. The tradeoff is that you are taking away the intended safety buffer and cooling which should come from running a tad rich. Even if detonation isn't an issue, I'm sure this setup would run on the hot side on track.

Unless you have an AED tuned car than your dyno sheet was printed from God's computer and is golden lol.

Grant 302 said:

Well mine didn't last week with temps in the 80's but next weekend will be a real test with temps in the 90's. In fact last weekend my car ran surprisingly cool and I was watching it closely. Never saw CHT above low 220's using TK.

Grant 302

NFSBOSS said:
Well mine didn't last week with temps in the 80's but next weekend will be a real test with temps in the 90's. In fact last weekend my car ran surprisingly cool and I was watching it closely. Never saw CHT above low 220's using TK.

It'll be interesting to hear your results. What track was that last week? You're probably at less risk for overheating will with most or all of your tracks under 100 ft msl, and even less so with the bay area humidity.

EDIT: typo

Grant 302

Low humidity for the bay area is still like 40%! It's relative relative humidity. ;)

Over here, dry is in the teens...or less :(

We probably should be cross checking humidity in the oil cooler threads too.

EDIT: Next week is Thunderhill? Good luck and watch your temps in the afternoon. Do you still call that 'Central Valley' up north?

Grant 302

steveespo said:
Ahh Grasshopper. I have lowered engine mounts, 1/2" lower than stock. Clears by 1/4".
Steve

Steve-

You should start or resurrect a build thread with your complete build!! It's a great example of what a lot of us eventually want to with our cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors