The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

anyone use the Whiteline LCA with MAX-C bushings? any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
Looking for user experience with these LCA's. I have the Boss 302S units and they work excellent on track but just a bit too noisy on the street. I put in new sphericals in my 302S arms and its simply the fact that they are spiral locked in that creates the noise. I tried some black permatex to try to tighten it up but no luck. Looking for an alternative. I have used some Poly + spherical LCA's in the past and the Poly side fell apart on first track day (J&M brand ).
I am looking for performance, and pretty quite operation.
If not the Whiteline units, whats the best solution?
I have stock UCA and MCS coilovers, BMR adj PHB with their HD bracket.

and is it still the general rule that the stock upper is fine for a dual use car? (street + track)
Thanks!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't use poly in ANY of the rear trailing arms. I've been saying it for a long time. Poly doesn't handle the twisting motion in any of the three trailing links. Proof came when various arms from almost any manufacturer had the poly bushings fail in UCAs and LCAs.

I'm using the Eibach LCAs and the stock upper. The Whiteline and RTR ones are the only other ones I would run on a dual-purpose car.

and is it still the general rule that the stock upper is fine for a dual use car? (street + track)

It was good enough for winning race cars...and reportedly better grip than the Multimatic spherical, the Roush small rubber bushings...or anything else. I never had a problem with either of mine, nor did I feel the need to change it before I learned what some of the pros did. But there are only a few of us who will say this...

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Not the first time I've heard that J&M LCAs weren't up to the demands of tracking.

UMI (http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_130) makes a couple of versions of their poly/roto-joint LCAs, one of them being on-car adjustable (Part# 1061) and the other non-adjustable (Part# 1057).

Vorshlag lists the Whiteline LCAs (and has been a big fan of Whiteline in general). That's about all I can tell you, other than the fact that the Whiteline bushings are unlike any of the others that use standard cylindrical poly. The Whitelines appear to be contoured on the faces to better permit off-axis rotation than you get with the usual poly bushing design. This gets into what's commonly called 'bind', though that's a rather misleading term to use when it's material compliance and whether it has anywhere to 'squish' into when deformed that's really involved.

I'm running a pair of Currie Currectrac LCAs and I'd go straight to recommending those if you can even find them for the S197 any more. These are similar to the UMI pieces but use Currie's Johnny-joint for the spherical joint.

Norm

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
It was good enough for winning race cars...and reportedly better grip than the Multimatic spherical, the Roush small rubber bushings...or anything else. I never had a problem with either of mine, nor did I feel the need to change it before I learned what some of the pros did. But there are only a few of us who will say this...
Two of us here, anyway. I'm guessing that leaving a little compliance in the rear suspension is a good thing.

Norm

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Now if only somebody would pair roto-joints or del-sphere with rubber or the Max-C bushings on their LCAs...

KTA158.jpg

This gets into what's commonly called 'bind', though that's a rather misleading term to use.

I'm guilty of using 'bind' that way - for brevity. Bind is more of what an un-lubricated bushing would do in the intended axis of rotation. I can't think of a better single word that describes the resistance better in the context of the whole live axle motion in a turn.

Two of us here, anyway. I'm guessing that leaving a little compliance in the rear suspension is a good thing.

Not to speak for Rick, but he's on the list too. As well as the pros that commented on the matter. So six that I can count so far. :D

This does make me want to start a post about 'where' grip really comes from...but I'm not really sure it's a good idea!

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Now if only somebody would pair roto-joints or del-sphere with rubber or the Max-C bushings on their LCAs...
Let's just say that there are a few things you can do to "regular poly" to put some off-axis compliance back in. The Curries on my '08 got at least one such mod, and the LCAs on the '79 Malibu before that (with its triangulated 4-link aka "quadra-bind" just like the Fox/SN95) got modified to a considerably greater extent. And on the Malibu there was a clear difference in lateral head-toss when driving diagonally over gutters (one wheel bump situation), poly before mods to afterward.

Bushing durability in the long run may take a hit, but I haven't noticed anything yet over several years in either case. In any event, poly bushings probably should be considered "consumables" even in street-only driving.

I thought I had a couple of sketches saved somewhere, but I can't seem to find them.

Norm

I wouldn't use poly in ANY of the rear trailing arms. I've been saying it for a long time. Poly doesn't handle the twisting motion in any of the three trailing links. Proof came when various arms from almost any manufacturer had the poly bushings fail in UCAs and LCAs.

I'm using the Eibach LCAs and the stock upper. The Whiteline and RTR ones are the only other ones I would run on a dual-purpose car.

Are you referring to the Whiteline adjustables only or even the non-adjustable? Just picked up a 2012 base with brembo's and planned on using BMR for the LCA's but after reading your comments I am rethinking that. Car is a street car that will see autox, drag race and hpde duty and I think adjustables could get me into more trouble than needed at this stage! Appreciate your comments and knowledge.

TMO Supporting Vendors