The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AP Racing Big Brake Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15H meaning days or 20-25 minute lapping sessions? I usually get in about 4-5 20/25 minute sessions and about 4-6 days if that makes sense. I'm looking at the full AP Kit for the car, big 9668 for the front and the Stillen rear kit (I realize they aren't total race setup) but I want something to match the front and also want to get some more bite on the rear. I don't know anyone thats run their rear setup yet tho.

How many track days are you guys getting on a set of pads and rotors? Do you street drive at all with the 9668 setup?

Thanks
Tom

I can’t give feedback on the number of days yet as I am still on my first set of pads and rotors. Went with Ferodo this time to try something different as I got a good price from the vendor when I bought the calipers at the same time. Have a less aggressive Ferodo pad for the street and a more aggressive for the track and I swap between the two. Have 2 track days and rotors and pads look great. Wear rates are much less than my 4 piston brembos. Amount of consumables used looks to be going way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15H meaning days or 20-25 minute lapping sessions? I usually get in about 4-5 20/25 minute sessions and about 4-6 days if that makes sense. I'm looking at the full AP Kit for the car, big 9668 for the front and the Stillen rear kit (I realize they aren't total race setup) but I want something to match the front and also want to get some more bite on the rear. I don't know anyone thats run their rear setup yet tho.

I looked at the Stillen AP Racing rear, it’s not really track centric and you may want to talk with AP Racing before pulling the trigger on it depending on the amount of tracking you plan to do. With the way the bias is set up the PFC bracket and 2 piece rotors from the world challenge cars seemed to be the better bet. I spoke with Cortex Racing on those and that was their recommendation hands down.

Good heads up thanks! Its still a street car but next year plan to do 12+ track days. If I could get the J hook rotors that match to work with the PFC bracket that would be ideal... Did you notice your braking distances shorten up quite a bit along with the increased longevity?

Good heads up thanks! Its still a street car but next year plan to do 12+ track days. If I could get the J hook rotors that match to work with the PFC bracket that would be ideal... Did you notice your braking distances shorten up quite a bit along with the increased longevity?

Braking is massively improved.

I know the rotors don’t exactly match, but that doesn’t bother me. Race car life.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
I would always go with the wider caliper and the wider endurance pads, up front. AP didn’t initially have a caliper fitment for the GT350/ FP350S, but now they do (minor machining, special order).

Pads last way longer and the weight penalty is minimal.

As in 15H total. Meaning if you only running 1H a day you'll get 15 days. I usually run 2-2,5H a day depending the group I run with, so 6-7 days for a set of pad.

If you have the money, get the big one.
I have been running them for 1 year now and they're awesome. And brake fade is a thing of the past.

I get about 15H+ for a set of brake pad (Pagid RST-3) and the discs have 30H+ and are still OK.
Comparing to the stock Brembo I was only get about 5H for a set of pad and 15h-20H on a set of disc.
25345164197_86064ddbb1_b.jpg

Current wear on the rotor after 13 track days
40215967211_45020d1d99_b.jpg

Nice!

Does the big kit fit under 18'' wheels?

We have sold a handful of these kits and I haven't heard anything but good feedback on them. So much more life on consumables than any other brake kit on the market, plus massive amounts of braking force depending on the pad choice you choose.

@Hasan M To keep the brake bias the same and maintain hydraulic balance you need to look not just at piston sizes, but also mean swept rotor disc radius.

Effective brake torque is Av Radius * Total Piston Area.

Yes, I'm familiar with the physics of braking systems.

When you say average radius, how would you determine that? Do you consider the pad height starting with the max radius and averaging with the pad height? It sounds quite difficult to find all this information. I've been only considering the max radius of the rotor.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
You should use either the radius to the center of the caliper pistons, or the average of the outer rotor and inner rotor diameters.

Pads sizes differ by manufacturer and often overlap or underlap the outer radius of the rotor. To avoid that variability it's better to use rotor or caliper centerline data.

In the V6L
Yes, I'm familiar with the physics of braking systems.

When you say average radius, how would you determine that? Do you consider the pad height starting with the max radius and averaging with the pad height? It sounds quite difficult to find all this information. I've been only considering the max radius of the rotor.
Both AP Racing (the UK factory website) and Brembo Racing publish "customer drawings" of their calipers. Those drawings have the Effective Radius shown on them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel