The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Apex3v's Road Race Build Thread Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Hyperfest will be packed, that’s the May event. I’ve run vir about every month of the year at some point. I just like spring and fall personally for tge samd reason i like it anywhere else in the southeast. I mean, you live in Charlotte. The climate at vir isnt vastly different

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Hyperfest will be packed, that’s the May event. I’ve run vir about every month of the year at some point. I just like spring and fall personally for tge samd reason i like it anywhere else in the southeast. I mean, you live in Charlotte. The climate at vir isnt vastly different
I forget how close it is sometimes, I need to get some digital laps in to try and get a rhythm for when I go. Summertime will most likely be and off-part of the season so that I'll have time to make some changes between spring and fall. Hyperfest does look like an awesome time and I'll probably try to make that event eventually.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Ross Bentley and peter krause have an excellent virtual track walk video of VIR. i was a de2-3 level guy abd had been to vir 3 times and I learned a lot. Spend the $45
I've never heard of them until now and wow it looks like a really good learning tool, I will definitely be purchasing the access to it when the time gets a little bit closer.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Agree with the above 2 posts. Now if we just had another 100 hp.....

We can, another 200hp if we please. It's just really not worth the money. I went down that rabbit hole... just because 3V. I can make the car breath well, but the limiting factor is the two overhead cams. The ability to adjust the intake and exhaust valve timing independently is key to unleashing lots of power from smallish 281 (stock 4.6L) - 323 (bored and stroked 5.3L) cu. in. motors.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I really like the fact that I don't ever really worry if the engine is going to crap out on me (assuming competent maintenance). I'm sure it happens, but I just don't really hear about people chewing up 3Vs unless they're trying to do something everyone knows you shouldn't (trying to make a bunch of power on the stock bottom end, for example).

Although sometimes having one feels like I'm part of a support group:

"Come on guys, we can do it! I know those other guys can make 500 horsepower with a few bolt-ons and we are lucky to make 350 with the same ones, but we've got spunk! Everyone likes spunk! Why are you all laughing?"

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I personally love watching guy's in 3V's go around a track faster than cars you would commonly think are faster, but the reality is that with a little bit of $$$ and a lot of driver mod these cars can be very competitive. I also am a sucker for an underdog story and the discussion of 4.6 vs. 5.0 seems like an uphill battle sometimes.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Weekend Rundown: Carolina Motorsport Park NASA SE May 2019

For the second event of my HPDE season I attended Carolina Motorsport Park again too have some fun on a track I know fairly well compared to the other places I've been. Going into this event I made some changes to the car including a more aggressive brake pad for the front and rear and I moved the sway bar position. I was ready to go into the weekend and put down a new PB and build upon what I had done in my last outing here. It became very apparent that this wouldn't be the case after the first two sessions.
3bxiJmi.jpg
Being behind some cars is fun because it gives you a rabbit to chase, they were fun for sure

In my first two sessions I started a poor habit of over-braking/slowing around most major corners on the course believing that this was the pads doing's. This was very frustrating to me as I was going over the data because at the moment I was thinking that I needed to advance all my brake points forward and be more aggressive on them. After a quick chat and some bouncing of ideas with my previous instructor and fellow TMO-member @Duane Black we came up with a game plan to get me back in the groove. He gave me very good insight on how to use the pad setup and it worked tremendously better after I got the hang of it.
p36gvGo.jpg
Front stretch at CMP

As I would go on throughout the weekend I found myself rediscovering what I had been doing before and would focus on the areas I couldn't quite get down. The biggest aid to my efforts during this event was being able to look over the data from the Harry's Lap-timer to see exactly where I was making the mistakes and the ability to overlay the newer data with older data proving to be essential for finding my pace again. I don't like going to events just trying to run a certain lap-time because I personally just enjoy driving down other cars and trying to dip my feet in competition even though this is the furthest thing from it, but once I had finally started running the same consistent numbers as before I was very happy. Though I didn't go any faster I had at least triumphed this issue that I didn't think I'd be able to overcome very easily or quickly, I give my thanks mainly to Duane and my previous instructor for talking me through some issues and giving me some good things to work on. The importance of instructor's and the role they play in making a new driver better is definitely not talked about enough in the community but seeing and feeling it happen over the weekend gives you a whole new appreciation for the knowledge and insight they are able to provide.
s95RJvc.jpg
All alone in T1-T2, trying to chase down old line but still learn new things

I met some nice people over the weekend as-well from a very interesting and friendly photographer who I'm sure I'll post some photos from and an ex-Spec Iron racer that taought me a variety of new things. The classroom instructor for HPDE-2 was a spec miata racer who used to do spec iron racing and was very insightful on not only the car but how moving up the ladder work's in the southeast to get into W2W racing. essentially after you move from DE2-DE3 you can go into comp-school and this was surprising to me as I had thought you had to move all the way though DE4 to go to comp-school. Seeing how short of a timeline moving from DE1-DE3 is, my urgency and desire's to move up fast slowed down a little. I know about how long it's going to take to even get the car race-ready which affords me the opportunity to develop myself as a driver far more than just rushing through the ladder with a fast car with no skill. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to driving fast and love the amount of support there is out there from people at the track, online or over the phone. It is a very safe and assuring feeling that one usually gets from there family and really shines light on why people refer to there fellow drivers as "Family"
tSrW37w.jpg
A young and determined Apex3V Captured by his lovely crew-chief on camera

Now onto the next weekend...

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Weekend Rundown: Road Atlanta NASA SE June 2019

This is the third event of my HPDE season so far and my second ever at the awesome venue of Road Atlanta, The conditions were much better than before (Damp/Coldish) which made me really excited to get out and have some fun. In the time between CMP and here I have removed the AC system and installed some Schroth ASM harnesses which were necessary after CMP as the stock seat belts would refuse to hold me in place under hard braking. I also had to replace my old set of Continental EC DW's for the new Extreme Contact Sport's since they had no usable life left to them after CMP. Before attending this event I also took some advise from the forum and looked into the speed secrets virtual track walk for Road Atlanta with Ross Bently and Peter Krause and discovered lots of information on the track I didn't know that would prove to be helpful later on.
On Saturday morning after the first morning HPDE class session it was time to hit the track and while on the grid to go out there was a red flag for about 10-15 minutes which allowed me to recall my memory from the previous time and remember what was said in the track walk video to try and prepare myself for this first session. After this short knowledge break under my helmet it was time to go and man was I excited. I picked up right where I had left off running just about the same lap times I had run before which was reassuring to me after the hellacious time I had regaining my footing at CMP. I used the session as a mental briefing of what the track was feeling like and how the car was behaving and I was loving both of them.

1ABQbQJ.jpg
Exiting T12 coming onto the front stretch.
In the paddock I got to meet some great new people in-between sessions including our very own crazy Hawaiian @Kona Bob in his gt350 who was enjoying the track for the first time. I also recruited a new member somehow (I guess the sticker works?) @FarmSnake who also drives a grey gt350 who was moving quick from DE1-DE2 and was in our sessions. I also got to talk with some familiar faces including another TMO-member @HF Bass who was pushing new limits with me in HPDE2. I've really been enjoying the social side of NASA lately and look foward to meeting more people like these guys I listed and the ones I haven't.
LHU04Mt.jpg

Crazy Hawaiian trailing behind me going into T12
Through out the day I was gaining more and more confidence in the corners and besting me previous best lap while going at it with a black and yellow stang just ahead of me. The brake issues I had at CMP were non-existent here as I had plenty of confidence diving into the brake zones now and not over slowing in the process. I finally gained enough confidence to go flat out through many parts I would go part throttle through before which was most noticeable in T1-T3 and the backstretch.GqA4JTt.jpg
Mini straight from T5-T6 with Fun black/yellow stang.
As the event progressed I was getting a better feel for what the car was capable of in the corners and I was able to push the limits whenever I wasn't caught up in traffic. When I would be pushing it I would often find myself resetting my pb and really making me wonder how much more was in it which I didn't think was much if any each time. In a combined DE1-DE2 session I got to go toe-to-toe with another spec iron race-car who was on street tires which was a huge deal for me. Spending countless hours working,researching and dreaming of finishing my car into that and racing in that class motivated me to really see what I could do up against it. While not the best comparison as its a developing driver like myself It did make me feel good to go for it finally. After a couple laps of me staying with him and filling up his mirrors with bravado I got a reluctant point by which felt awesome to me since I know how capable the car is. Though I've said it a couple times on here "HPDE isn't racing" I was racing my heart out keeping up and eventually passing my end goal.
MT2XJ2x.jpg

Can you tell the difference? much fun being had behind the SI car without a doubt!!!
More of the same just kept happening over the weekend with me trying new things and finding what works with my car and with the track. I found myself on the last session working with the guys around me on the grid to give me room for about 2 laps to try and make something happen and sure enough I did. I ran my overall PB of 1:47.07 which was amazing for me as it bested the mythical rental car driver himself @Duane Black which told me I had to have been doing something right to be past him. I pulled it in a few laps early as to not ruin the good feels of the weekend with a potential late session disaster as settled with my progress here. I was extremely happy about running that time and have mainly Duane to thank for it, he developed me greatly when he was here with me and always shares his support or advise on how to improve and has been great at making me better. I know whenever he comes back here he'll be coming with vengeance to reclaim a time from V8:).
NfwvdzS.jpg
Blasting down the front stretch heading for T1
This track is easily my favorite place that I have been to so far and has brought me some great memories already. The weekend gave me some time to be with my favorite lady who's my crew chief/photographer/best-friend/companion in life that is always there for me on and off the track. hopefully we can pull some strings and get a companion for my "Racecar";). This event may be it for the first half of the season as it is up in the air if I'll go to any over the summer. I know I'm looking forward to the next planned one in September so until then this one will have to hole me over.

pSftLaT.jpg
The esses...nuff said
Now onto the next weekend....

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Not much has been going on with the car over the summer break, I installed a 3.31 gear set,a T2-R and picked up some Toyo Proxes RR' scrubs to try out at Roebling Road next month. Picked up an Shr Flex from another TMO member and also a Sparco firesuit. This next half of the year is looking like its going to be a lot of fun!

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Weekend Rundown: Roebling Road Raceway NASA SE September 2019

After a one year hiatus I have finally come back to the start of my NASA driving experience by coming to Roebling Road Raceway with the same great group. Coming into this event I had to do a bit of learning with the car starting off because of some significant changes that have been made with added camber and a T2R. I was excited to finally come back to this track because I know that my last outing here was a very novice experience and that with what all I had learned over the past year that improvements would be made.
The Morning of my first session I was mentally preparing myself and running the track in my head, trying my best to remember how to drive this place and not knowing exactly how my car was going to feel. As I pulled on track for my first session I became overcame with joy and excitement because I knew I was back and I was ready. The car felt great starting off but I was conservative as I didn't remember the track completely and I was trying to find my way around again while exploring the new boundaries of my car.
6mh5ISy.jpg
Lots of cars

Over the course of the first day I got faster and more confident and started to get more consistent as I kept going. I was really finding my pace throughout the day and it felt great getting to drive close with and passing lots of people. in between going to class and the track time I managed to learn a lot in the first couple of sessions that would help me get faster and have a better understanding of my time driving the track.
vI97eI0.jpg
Big ol' brick terrorizing a miata

After three sessions I decided it was finally time to throw on the new to me tires which is a set of Toyo Proxes RR's with multiple cycles on them. I wanted to start figuring out how the car was going to react and drive with a significantly different tire on it. This was the last session of the first day and I was driving very conservative the whole session trying to feel the car out and making sure everything was mechanically sound. The difference in feel from these tires was a huge increase compared to the continentals I normally drive on. I could feel the track so much better than before and feel the car rotate around the corners.
FbzQsS8.jpg
New wheels who dis?

After talking to @Duane Black after that session over the phone I got a much needed push in the right direction. I got a very clear message that I was driving to conservative and was on a very school line mentality and he was very right about that. Going into the second day I was the first session out which I had never done before but figured if not now then when. I worked hard the first couple laps to build up heat in the tires and figure out the track conditions as some was in sunlight and some was in shadows. Regardless I was still able to implement what he told me and shave off a whole 3 seconds off my best lap of the first days last session!
VWBBXHL.jpg
we almost have liftoff but not quite.

Throughout the second day one thing he told me that resonated greatly was to drive the car not the track and for some reason it never occurred to me that I had been doing this just about my entire time driving up until recently. I have been so caught up in learning lines and brake points that I forgot to really push and find the absolute limits of the car and my abilities. During the second session the track was as good as it was going to be all day, the heat hadn't picked up yet so everything was a bit cooler so I knew if I was going to make anything happen I'd have to do it now. I ran a personal best of 1:26.24 that session while leaving a lot on the table but I was happy with it. I was increasing how many G's I was pulling in each corner and was working on carrying speed around the whole track.
eRse1WP.jpg
Setting a New PB and feeling the grip!

During my last session the track got hot and greasy so I decided to take the time and have fun with the guys starting behind me and have some close driving between each other and have more-so racing fun that time trials fun and keep swapping positions. It was a bittersweet moment pulling off track for the final time that last session as I was dying from the heat and wanted to cool off but I also never wanted the time to end and to just keep having fun on the track. I knew it would be a while before I could come back to this track so I just took it in on my cool-down lap.
vERgW0t.jpg
Last session of the day chasing guys down and around.

In the paddock I met up with some familiar faces and came across some new ones, I may have recruited a new member with a performance pack 2 s550 who was in my group. He was learning drive fast and sounds like he's gonna get hooked quickly to this addiction. his friend had a red gt350 and says that he already lurks around here which is a good start already. Hopefully overtime us guys on the east coast can try to make a round-up style event per-say or get a big group of us to meet-up with the west coasters. Though I wouldn't mind a little bit of east vs. west rivalry either ;)
57Mxz9x.jpg
Lots and Lots of Roll and Stiction!

Overall like most weekend's me and my lady get to have together with NASA SE its great! we always get to meet someone new and friendly and do stuff we wouldn't get to do otherwise. The amount of support you get with this group and what you can really achieve if you try is awesome. Now that this weekend has passed I have to shift my sight's towards my next event in under a month with a familiar name but not a familiar place, until then this will have to do :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel