The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Archetype Racing Corsair Rear Diffuser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EIGHTLUG

https://www.archetyperacing.com
Supporting Vendor
OK I know I should wait until after I see pictures, but I just want to get some clarity because when I was referring to diffuser, I was referring to the lower black plastic portion that houses the reverse light and exhaust tips. It sounds like you might be referring to it as the valance.

So your piece will not be replacing the valance (diffuser), but attaching to the bottom of it? It will only be replacing the close out panel?
The black plastic part that encompasses the exhaust tips and reverse light is a rear valance. The black plastic part that attaches to the rear valance and has the air scoops for the rear diff cooler is a close out panel. The GT350, and most cars in general, don't have a true diffuser. Marketing people use the word quite often, because it sounds like a race car part, and they apply the word to what is a rear valance.

Once I get production pricing squared away, I'll release the computer renderings of the rear diffuser.

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
I've spent months and months, during these stay at home shutdowns, continuously innovating. One of the very key parts that has had a whole lot of attention thrown at it has been the CORSAIR rear diffuser. If anything good has come from the COVID shutdowns and social distancing, it's this part.

The CORSAIR rear diffuser mold is out to bid. What you see in the rendering below is 97% of what's going to make it into production. It's already run multiple CFD configurations (ride heights along with subtle vehicle rake degree changes, clean and dirty bottom, and various air speeds) and the results are awesome! I'm going to be throwing gobs of data at you, in future posts.

Working with the carbon fiber team, we've brought so much goodness to this part. Features that aren't even a thing in the industry yet. This will be a 30-45 minute install. And I'd estimate half of that time is getting the OEM garbage out of the way. Billet aluminum supports will be employed, both front and rear, replacing the OEM plastic junk. Full 2x2 carbon twill and forged carbon diffuser panel with carbon fiber removable and replaceable strakes! Literally, six button head allen drive stainless bolts will mount this diffuser to your S550. Although it's really geared to the GT350 and GT500. Full compliment of strakes replaced in 5 minutes. Or just removed to make trailer loading a breeze in less than 5 minutes! How freeeeekin' cool is that?!? This also means the strakes can be mega aggressive. You're just replacing an individual strake, as it wears out. You keep running everything else. Sustainability. I love it.

The NACA ducting required for the OEM rear differential heat exchanger is totally modular. You can have 3 ducts, 2 ducts, 1 duct, or no duct. That would be for the cars that have the heat exchange plumbed into the trunk area. But totally modular, none the less. Right sizing the ducting and it's orientation will maximize the diffuser's affects.

The CORSAIR will be available with two strake designs. One like you see rendered which will be the TRACK option and there will be an 1 3/4" strake more suited for street use for those that feel so inclined. Pricing for the CORSAIR, strake options, and billet aluminum uprights will be released shortly.

More to come, very soon. Oh, and there's that super sexy SPECTRE Quantum swan neck wing in the rendering too. Blame the CORSAIR delays on that, but it was totally worth it! I'll start another thread on that part, in the very near future. Deposits are still being taken for the CORSAIR. The head count is currently at one dozen units. PM me for more info.

S550 GT350 Rear Diffuser - 1.jpg

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
Nice work- Sign me up .
Data? Price? Ship ready date?
Data: I'll work on that over Thanksgiving break.
Price: I should have that firmed up in the next couple of days.
Ship Date: The first units will ship right around Christmas. Currently there are 17 per-orders.

With a single mold, running two, possible three layups a week out of it, gives me roughly a month and a half to two month backlog. I'll follow up on this thread, as soon as a price per unit is set and also a link to the CORSAIR on the website.

I've spent months and months, during these stay at home shutdowns, continuously innovating. One of the very key parts that has had a whole lot of attention thrown at it has been the CORSAIR rear diffuser. If anything good has come from the COVID shutdowns and social distancing, it's this part.

The CORSAIR rear diffuser mold is out to bid. What you see in the rendering below is 97% of what's going to make it into production. It's already run multiple CFD configurations (ride heights along with subtle vehicle rake degree changes, clean and dirty bottom, and various air speeds) and the results are awesome! I'm going to be throwing gobs of data at you, in future posts.

Working with the carbon fiber team, we've brought so much goodness to this part. Features that aren't even a thing in the industry yet. This will be a 30-45 minute install. And I'd estimate half of that time is getting the OEM garbage out of the way. Billet aluminum supports will be employed, both front and rear, replacing the OEM plastic junk. Full 2x2 carbon twill and forged carbon diffuser panel with carbon fiber removable and replaceable strakes! Literally, six button head allen drive stainless bolts will mount this diffuser to your S550. Although it's really geared to the GT350 and GT500. Full compliment of strakes replaced in 5 minutes. Or just removed to make trailer loading a breeze in less than 5 minutes! How freeeeekin' cool is that?!? This also means the strakes can be mega aggressive. You're just replacing an individual strake, as it wears out. You keep running everything else. Sustainability. I love it.

The NACA ducting required for the OEM rear differential heat exchanger is totally modular. You can have 3 ducts, 2 ducts, 1 duct, or no duct. That would be for the cars that have the heat exchange plumbed into the trunk area. But totally modular, none the less. Right sizing the ducting and it's orientation will maximize the diffuser's affects.

The CORSAIR will be available with two strake designs. One like you see rendered which will be the TRACK option and there will be an 1 3/4" strake more suited for street use for those that feel so inclined. Pricing for the CORSAIR, strake options, and billet aluminum uprights will be released shortly.

More to come, very soon. Oh, and there's that super sexy SPECTRE Quantum swan neck wing in the rendering too. Blame the CORSAIR delays on that, but it was totally worth it! I'll start another thread on that part, in the very near future. Deposits are still being taken for the CORSAIR. The head count is currently at one dozen units. PM me for more info.

View attachment 59907

Would you be able to run this with the factory valance removed?

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
Would you be able to run this with the factory valance removed?
The simple answer is yes. I have a customer that plans on doing just that. The diffuser’s mounting and position is by no means dictated by the rear valence. There’s also an option for custom strakes for those that will be removing or trimming their plastic rear valance.

The simple answer is yes. I have a customer that plans on doing just that. The diffuser’s mounting and position is by no means dictated by the rear valence. There’s also an option for custom strakes for those that will be removing or trimming their plastic rear valance.

Very nice.

These strakes would go between the bumper and the diffuser?

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
The CORSAIR is going live today, at noon PST. (12/27/20) First off, apologies for the delay in release. I was coerced by others to crank out the SPECTRE swan neck. So that jumped in line ahead of the CORSAIR. But in the end, they were basically developed together and perform together as a unit. That being said, there's a lot of downforce on tap now at the rear of the car. So I want ahead and developed the ARCHANGEL front splitter. It's complete with Delignit, 0.52" thick composite, F1 style functional spill plates, plenty of projection, and provisioned for the STRATO splitter extension.

Back to the CORSAIR. This is a from scratch design that took into account all of the nuances of the S550 platform, and even more so, the GT350 and GT500. It's a full bolt on diffuser solution. The front and rear billet aluminum mounts also utilize OEM fastener locations on the car's structure. The diff cooling duct is a modular design. If you're running a trunk mounted cooler, there is no ducting. If you are running a OEM diff cooler, there are options for adding the modular ducting, as seen in the pictures below.

As you know, I'm big on sustainability and efficiency. Let's face it, this car, even in OEM trim, sits really low. The front and rear overhangs are very long. For this design, I leveraged as many sustainable solutions as I could. The strakes on this diffuser are removable and with that, also replaceable. There is even an option for a less aggressive Street Strake, if you feel so inclined, to run your diffuser on the car for a C&C event. If you're running a track with very aggressive curbing, or high suspension compression like the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, it would be prudent to install the shorter Street length strakes that day.

It's quick detach! In just seconds, you can have the entire diffuser assembly off of your car and in your trailer for transport. And to round out the awesome, the forged carbon fiber turning vanes are also removable and replaceable. My thought behind using forged carbon on the turning vanes is so you can send it back for repair, if needed, when you have downtime, and I can get it back in the mold to build up the carbon material and not have to match up any weaves. Just add more forged carbon. And it's a nice, subtle, design touch when onlookers perform a more in depth inspection of this fine piece of kit!

The gold heat reflective foil is not just there for looks. With the CORSAIR's close proximity to the exhaust, I felt it would be prudent to integrate the lightweight, 2 mil, industrial, heat reflective foil. Other features were also rolled into the design to ensure the continued use of your rear tow hook and the back up light. I can go on and on about how feature packed this part is, but I want to save some of the surprises for those that already have a CORSAIR inbound. I can tell you this, there has never been a more thought through out of the box diffuser on the market. Let alone for the Mustang platform.

The CORSAIR will ship with:
  • The strakes of your choosing - Track or Street. (Additional sets can be purchased separately. Single replacement strakes can also be purchased.)
  • Billet Aluminum Quick Release Mounts
  • Stainless Steel Mounting Hardware
  • Detailed Instructions that note specific hardware location, torque specs, quick release setup and operation, and LOCTITE 242.

-10 % TMO Discount applies. Please email [email protected] for a custom invoice.

Corsair - GT350_S550 - 4(1).jpg

Corsair - GT350_S550.jpg

Corsair - GT350_S550 - 2.jpg

Corsair - GT350_S550 - 3.jpg

Corsair SF - GT350_S550 - 1.jpg

Corsair SF - GT350_S550 - 2(1).jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, beautiful photography, couple easy questions:
#1: How much downforce is produced by this diffuser? I imagine wind tunnel/ before and after data is expensive, and I confess, I don't know if this can be extrapolated from available data from high dollar racing units that use the same s550 platform. Standard for downforce measurement ? ( at expected speed where benefits occur ( for example, at 100 mph ). It looks badass, but what is it gonna do for my GT350 on the track, with or without your wing, or another wing that adds it's own, downforce ( and drag ) and bolts on my trunk lid. If you know the numbers by calculations, without or without renting wind tunnel time, the required addition on the front end to balance the car's "enhancements" ( front and rear downforce ) should be predictable, and I can purchase the hardware knowing the homework has been done. As cool as it looks, and with the thought and designer pride you have obviously put into it, If it doesn't make my car better on the track, I may need put the dollars elsewhere.
#2: Price? ballpark price? Secret? If I have to ask I can't afford It?
#3 and #4: Same questions on your swan neck wing.
Without advanced degrees in aerodynamics and the sophisticated understanding you referenced in earlier posts, I really don't know how to shop intelligently, without data. Splitter? Cannards? Wing? Diffuser? Buy everything that looks cool and then drive and see what happens? If I can avoid trial and error because someone has already done the math, fantastic. I just want to buy stuff that works, and otherwise pay for track time and expendables...
The parts you have designed ARE pretty enough to buy just for looks, if that's someone's thing.
I appreciate the hard work and artistry you have put in, the quality products you offer, and the poetry and pride in your postings-

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
Nice work, beautiful photography, couple easy questions:
#1: How much downforce is produced by this diffuser? I imagine wind tunnel/ before and after data is expensive, and I confess, I don't know if this can be extrapolated from available data from high dollar racing units that use the same s550 platform. Standard for downforce measurement ? ( at expected speed where benefits occur ( for example, at 100 mph ). It looks badass, but what is it gonna do for my GT350 on the track, with or without your wing, or another wing that adds it's own, downforce ( and drag ) and bolts on my trunk lid. If you know the numbers by calculations, without or without renting wind tunnel time, the required addition on the front end to balance the car's "enhancements" ( front and rear downforce ) should be predictable, and I can purchase the hardware knowing the homework has been done. As cool as it looks, and with the thought and designer pride you have obviously put into it, If it doesn't make my car better on the track, I may need put the dollars elsewhere.
#2: Price? ballpark price? Secret? If I have to ask I can't afford It?
#3 and #4: Same questions on your swan neck wing.
Without advanced degrees in aerodynamics and the sophisticated understanding you referenced in earlier posts, I really don't know how to shop intelligently, without data. Splitter? Cannards? Wing? Diffuser? Buy everything that looks cool and then drive and see what happens? If I can avoid trial and error because someone has already done the math, fantastic. I just want to buy stuff that works, and otherwise pay for track time and expendables...
The parts you have designed ARE pretty enough to buy just for looks, if that's someone's thing.
I appreciate the hard work and artistry you have put in, the quality products you offer, and the poetry and pride in your postings-

Well, the answers are quite simple. There's a link to the diffuser on the website that calls out the information you're searching for in #1.

Furthermore, are you, or is anyone else, accustomed to companies going to this level of detail and finish with 'Mustang' aero parts? I take it to 10/10ths with the design and you think I didn't go to the point of incorporating CFD and full FEA into these designs? Take a walk down memory lane with me and look at what Verus calls a diffuser for the S550. The CFD is on a car that's 10" off the ground and no actual numbers, and yet the Mustang community ate it up.

#2, see the answer in previous statement. There's a price to pay for a diffuser with the elements of full sustainability, modularity, ease of install, badass mounting hardware, and the ability to pick your strakes. I might entertain the sale of just the diffuser with no heat foil, mounts, or hardware. Let the customer figure their own stuff out. It would lessen the up front cost, but you'd have to come up with your own mounting solution in the end. And that's totally do-able.

#'s 3 and 4. Let's start here. I don't understand, and I've noticed this from the Mustang crowd primarily (and I have my inclinations), why people feel functional aero needs to look dull and rudimentary. It's like the bigger and dumber it looks the more functional it must be. So if my components had less polished of a look and were more half-assed presented, the greater the acceptance would be?

F1 cars are all aero and look amazing, Aston Martin Valkyrie, McLaren Senna, a Peregrine (fastest bird) or even a Bald Eagle for that matter. They all have sleek lines and are provocative to the eye, as in my opinion, functional aero should be. To me, if I'm looking at an aero part and it its lines dont flow with the overall design and doesn't look sexy to the eye, I'll highly question it. You don't need an advanced degree in aerodynamics to know a cube isn't aerodynamic, and a wing is. Your mind can easily devise that the closer a part looks like a wing, the more aerodynamic it is.

I've spent the better part of my life around jet aircraft, air racers, war birds, etc. I hold degrees in Aerospace Engineering, majoring in Design & Development, and Aerospace Propulsion. I maintained, at a very high level, F-15 A through E Models, during my Air Force service. Aside from just knowing all of the systems on those birds (Avionics, Hydraulics, Electronics, RADAR, Power Plants) from nose to tail, I tested an adjusted flight control surfaces. I'll leave you with this. Flight control surfaces and airflow management on an aircraft that pushes near three times the speed of sound is several orders of magnitude greater in engineering and execution than anything that rolls across the ground at any sporting level.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

4,680. USD. TMO Members receive a 10% discount.

@eighlug I can see how it would be hard to remain neutral when you have hundreds of hours into the proper design of a component like this diffuser (and the associated pride), though I would also not expect this to be the last time someone will ask you if you have any performance data to share. I would expect it to be a common question when people are considering throwing down $4k+ for a diffuser.

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
@eighlug I can see how it would be hard to remain neutral when you have hundreds of hours into the proper design of a component like this diffuser (and the associated pride), though I would also not expect this to be the last time someone will ask you if you have any performance data to share. I would expect it to be a common question when people are considering throwing down $4k+ for a diffuser.
Totally understand your point. All anyone would have to do is click on the link. I'm not being secretive at all.

I welcome the questions and the engagement. Throughout the whole process, I try to be as transparent as possible and we all kind of learn together. Selfishly, I make this stuff for me, because I have the car and I want to go faster. The byproduct of that passion is you all have the opportunity to come along for the ride, so to speak, and have what I have. Which I would say is pretty damn good stuff.

4,680. USD. TMO Members receive a 10% discount.
Thank You .

TMO Supporting Vendors