The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ben Calimer MT82 installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You would rarely use the top two gears in the Mag XL. With 7800 revs, 3.73 rear, and the 2.66 ratio box (not the non-road-race friendly 2.97 box), the ratios are nearly identical to MT82 gears 2-5, and you would top out (in 4th) at 158mph with a relatively short 25.6" tire (a 315/30/18). You can get custom OD clusters for the magnum to get a .80 or .90 5th gear for somewhere like Daytona.

The 2.66 ratios are:
2.66; 1.78; 1.30; 1.00; .74 (OD1); .63 (OD2).

The 2.97 box is what FRPP offers for some reason--the gear splits don't make sense for road racing with that box.

And first gear in the MT82 is absolutely useless on-track.

You could do a lower 4.88 with a bunch of other considerations including increased diff fluid temperatures if you wanted to drive in the same 3-4-5 gearing like with an MT82...but wtf for?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, the Stage 3 is installed and hoping to try it out tomorrow on the street and friday at the track.... Its NOISY!! Talked to Ben and he told me its was normal due to the gears. Not quite a dog box sound but not that far off.... Its going to be interesting, the setup I have with the the 3.31 will leave with 128km/hr in second and 182km/hr in third..... Will see what its like before deciding between 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73 rear ends...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well so far the Stage 3 Calimer tranny worked very well.... Too Long for the 3.31 I have installed now though.. Temperatures are way down compared to a normal MT82.... With out the pump running the temps only went to 220, and with the pump never over 180.

Will switch back to a 3.73 rear end.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Square cut gear creates more noise and less heat. This may be something to look at for a future mod.
Can you quantify the noise from the trans? Does it overpower the radio, wake sleeping children as you drive by or is the noise just noticeable?
I really like the temp numbers. Interested in your observations with the 3:73 gears.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
To be honest I barely notice the sound now. Car still has a radio in it and and set it a normal volume... Its not a very quite car any way!!........

Will update once we have the 3.73 gears in!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Forgot to mention that my speedo is way off... would this be a sensor issue or is it set in the tune?? Driving to the track 60 mph on the speedo was more like 94 mph on the gps

I usually don't pay much attention to the speedo, for videos I use a excel table with the rpm/gear ratios/tire diameter to setup the right speed.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Any update on how the stage 3 has been working out? Has the gear noise reduced as everything broke in?

The car has been in the shop for major engine work and upgrades...for EVER.... But very much liked the Calimer Stage 3 so far. The change from 3.31 back to 3.73 is still debatable.... Maybe a 3.55 would be the best bet. Now with the 3.73 I am at 201 km/hr in fourth... I get into 5th for about 3 seconds before I need to brake on our long straight which brought down the top speed I had with the 3.31 from 215km/hr to 205.

But then again.. on the smaller tracks the 3.73 will be perfect. We dont go over 200.

My hope is that with some extra HP from the ported/flowed heads, the CJ setup, new complete exhaust and a new AED tune... Hopefully with be reaching for 5th gear earlier!! Fingers crossed.

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
FWIW I've had one of the first Calimer Stage 3 MT82s in my car since July, 2018 - so far, no issues
As OP noted, there is definitely increased gear whine, but no functional deficiencies observed (or metal in the fluid). I have mine paired with an RXT-1200, lightened steel flywheel, GT500 TOB, MGW shifter, QA1 CF driveshaft and 3.31FD. Chose a long FD because I'm making significantly more power (750-1000rwhp depending on pulley), but wanted usable 3/4/5 gears (they are) and to keep the revs down (7350), since the fastest tracks I expect to run won't see speeds above the top of 5th (176mph), and I have ample torque everywhere in the powerband to short shift if necessary. Keeping it cool with a ducted Setrab 610/Tilton pump setup w/ -8AN lines and Amsoil 75W90 fluid - temps usually in the 165-175deg range after a 20 minute session (we'll see how it does at Big Willow later this month). Fingers crossed that it continues to hold up; I really don't want to add additional weight that a Magnum XL would introduce (not to mention the additional cost of replacing clutch, flywheel, shifter, driveshaft, etc).

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats good to hear!! Also run a Tilton oil pump and small rad. But as noted before the temps are much lower then the OEM MT82. Thats a lot of power!!! If its fine with your super HP then mine will be a piece of cake.

I wish I had bought my stage 3 in 2018.... would have saved a bundle...

Thanks guys.. my tranny is still good at 18k miles but wondering which way to go .. mine is more of a fun car track and street. Like the reliability of the Tremec but would miss the first gear fun and 4:56 seems the best gear to get that street fun factor back but would suck with heating issues etc etc on the track.

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
i like it much more than the dynotech 1pc aluminum part it replaced, even though it's heavier (~1lbs). i had a very difficult time eliminating all vibration with the dynotech (no rubber left anywhere), even after lowering the transmission mount 3/8", clocking both sides of the driveshaft in all possible positions, and using (2) band clamps in various positions to balance. once i dropped the QA1 in (SFI rated version), everything disappeared. and since i launch the car at some competitions, i prefer the give of carbon fiber over the shock of aluminum on the rest of the drivetrain.

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR

TMO Supporting Vendors