The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best source for factory Brembo calipers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I'm interested to know what it is about Chinese knockoffs that's bad to

The problem is that we have no idea what alloy of aluminum they're made of nor the pistons or their tolerances.

The fact that all the distributors use weasel-worded language in their listings to try to sell these makes me even more suspicious. This lack of transparency also fails to include any independent comparison testing under any conditions, let alone any rigorous conditions.

For driving to car show they're probably just fine. But with the heat, heat cycles, and loads encountered on the road course I don't think it's worth the risk to save $250-300.

If there was any part, other than a pacemaker or airplane part, that exemplifies "you get what you pay for" it's probably this.

A side issue is also whether we should continue to reward Chinese companies who steal other companies' designs. In this case the real Brembos are made in Italy and Ford's involvement was probably just to provide the specs to mount them to the spindle. It may not be as bad as if they stole a US designed item but it's still not right.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
You can continue using your S197 master cylinder.

This kit is fine except you can buy the parts cheaper separately.

Right - $248.73
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-caliper-br3z2b120b/

Left - $269.37 + $50.00 core charge
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-caliper-br3z2b121b/

And they only charge a $50 core on the second one.

That's $568.11 for the calipers plus shipping.

Bringing this thread back up to the front. Just looking to get new and not screw around with knockoff parts. Was looking at the 2 links above. The link to the right side caliper goes to a part no longer being sold. I looked around the site, don't see an alternate. I reach out to them, they want my VIN, which obviously will not return the correct Brembo. The person I am emailing with doesn't understand that my VIN is a different car and I am bolting on these as an upgrade. Don't ask, I have explained this to them twice now. I did find them at Bear Nation's website, but they are $100+ each side. So..... @Coz , any other links you (or anyone) can provide for the tasca website for the Brembos?

EVERYTHING goes through the VIN #s now.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Bringing this thread back up to the front. Just looking to get new and not screw around with knockoff parts. Was looking at the 2 links above. The link to the right side caliper goes to a part no longer being sold. I looked around the site, don't see an alternate. I reach out to them, they want my VIN, which obviously will not return the correct Brembo. The person I am emailing with doesn't understand that my VIN is a different car and I am bolting on these as an upgrade. Don't ask, I have explained this to them twice now. I did find them at Bear Nation's website, but they are $100+ each side. So..... @Coz , any other links you (or anyone) can provide for the tasca website for the Brembos?

Try calling Shelby America in Las Vegas. They occasionally list Brembo take offs on eBay & Craigslist. Usually see them listed with the S550 rotors, but they would probably separate the calipers for shipping purposes.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Usually see them listed with the S550 rotors,
I think he's talking about the S197 4-piston Brembos and not the 14" S550 4-piston "Frembos".

I don't have any other sources for the S197 Brembo calipers. RockAuto has the Motorcraft remanufactured ones but they're about the same price as the new ones from Bear Nation.

Beyond using the S550 Frembos with the S197 14" rotors, the other alternative is to go with the 6-piston S550 Brembos that use the 15" 2013-2014 GT500 rotors. New brake lines are required too.

In the V6L

Try these:

They have prices - maybe they're still available. What's not totally clear is whether they're the right parts - the picture looks like rears or regular GT brakes, but it says Boss 302 on the list of applications. Maybe call them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I've always been able to order without a VIN. But I guess the customer service folks are lost without one. If you need a VIN, just go on a site that is selling Mustang GTs with a Track Pack or Boss 302's or pre-2013 GT500s and use one of their VINs.

They're not in manufacture anymore, so they're drying up. The part numbers are still the same, there isn't going to be any substitute since they aren't used in any current platform: BR3Z-2B120-B & BR3Z-2B121-B. It looks like the Driver's Side, BR3Z-2B121-B is still available through Dealers/OEM websites, while availability on BR3Z-2B120-B is getting spotty (prices go up when stock starts to get limited).

https://parts.lakelandford.com/ supposedly has one in stock for $330 - I'd call and ask prior to ordering (They have the BR3Z-2B121-B one as well for $250, little more expensive than Tasca but may save on shipping costs). Several others above me have also noted other Dealer options, which will hopefully work out as well. Good practice to call before hand and do a stock-check, since sometimes the website isn't up-to-date if they ran out of stock.

Otherwise, you're going to have to find them used at FB Marketplace, eBay, Car-Part.com, or put in a wanted-ad here and just deal with the fact that whatever you find will likely need a re-build/repaint (not terribly difficult and good for peace-of-mind of any second-hand part anyways).

Some second-hand options on the market now:

The knock-off ones (Powerstop L5128 & L5129) are really easy to spot. They have really horrible grinding marks from where their reproduction casting was different around the top of the front half.
1643303900651.png

As well as being completely devoid of any FoMoCo or Brembo markings and part numbers on the back
1643303917206.png
1643304006542.png

With those two features in mind, it's pretty easy to notice knock-offs on the used market from the pictures on FB and eBay postings.

Example listed on eBay - knockoffs for OE prices (Parts cost is $150/pair + powercoat + $5 sticker, up on eBay for just under $500 - good profit margin there):
1643304552422.png
Casting is of inferior quality to the original (below), and you can see the difference in the peak of the front half.
1643304637336.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I think he's talking about the S197 4-piston Brembos and not the 14" S550 4-piston "Frembos".

I don't have any other sources for the S197 Brembo calipers. RockAuto has the Motorcraft remanufactured ones but they're about the same price as the new ones from Bear Nation.

Beyond using the S550 Frembos with the S197 14" rotors, the other alternative is to go with the 6-piston S550 Brembos that use the 15" 2013-2014 GT500 rotors. New brake lines are required too.
Got it. I was assuming the S550 6 pistons. Shelby pulls the 6 pot Brembos off of new S550s and replaces with their Shelby branded version. After running both the 4 pot and now the S550 6 pot, I don’t think I would spend much time looking for the 4 pot.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I've always been able to order without a VIN. But I guess the customer service folks are lost without one. If you need a VIN, just go on a site that is selling Mustang GTs with a Track Pack or Boss 302's or pre-2013 GT500s and use one of their VINs.

This was all via email asking about the part numbers you had linked. They only knew "I need your VIN" to track down the one they no longer carry.

Got it. I was assuming the S550 6 pistons. Shelby pulls the 6 pot Brembos off of new S550s and replaces with their Shelby branded version. After running both the 4 pot and now the S550 6 pot, I don’t think I would spend much time looking for the 4 pot.

I was looking at the 4 pots, but yes, if they are no longer being produced, it might just be easier to go 6Pot.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs

If I am reading you correctly, S550 6 Pot. I called and spoke to them at Shelby, they have 2 sets online (and 1 of the GT500 (that set I am watching)).

The S550 6Pots are - https://www.ebay.com/itm/175124891014?hash=item28c641c586:g:XeAAAOSwJTNgShXJ

But the fella I chatted with indicated the bolt pattern for them isn't the same and won't fit. Im not opposed to the 6Pots, but the 4 Pots seemed a bit more affordable until it started to come clear that they are no longer being made.

Or are you skipping over the Performance Pack part of the 6 Pots for a S550? Meaning these ragged out ones the ones you mean?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
But the fella I chatted with indicated the bolt pattern for them isn't the same and won't fit. Im not opposed to the 6Pots, but the 4 Pots seemed a bit more affordable until it started to come clear that they are no longer being made.
The calipers bolt right on, but require the 15” rotor from a 13-14 GT500. The S550 rotor offset is different and won’t work on the S197.

Lots of good reading on this here:

Thread 'Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis'
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/huge-brake-upgrade-for-s197-chassis.11867/

I used the PP GT calipers on mine they are only 4 piston but huge
The Base GT/Ecoboost Ford calipers (below)? I was under the impression the PP GT came with 6-piston Brembo calipers.
1643320463591.png
Dealer sites sell them for about $50 more brand new (appear to be MR3Z-2B120-A & MR3Z-2B121-C) than the remanufactured ones from a third party. Gently used on the secondary market is seems to fetch about a $200 street price. Seems like a decent deal as long as the inverted-hat S550 rotor says goodbye and they clear your wheels of choice, since they are huge.

1643320735970.png

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
The calipers bolt right on, but require the 15” rotor from a 13-14 GT500. The S550 rotor offset is different and won’t work on the S197.

Lots of good reading on this here:

Thread 'Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis'
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/huge-brake-upgrade-for-s197-chassis.11867/

Yep, read it several times and the discussion keeps going back and forth about what does but doesn't work. Bounces back and forth about 4Pot to 6 Pot. Thats how I got down to the 4Pots above, but they are no long being made. Perhaps read that again with the 6Pot in mind.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
$128 a piece from rock auto
or watch face book for take offs.
I used the PP GT calipers on mine they are only 4 piston but huge,
Those are "remanufactured" from Cardone. The early reman S197 Brembos were rebuilt OEM calipers. But soon thereafter, when they ran out of original cores, they started using newly made knock-offs from China. I'm not sure about the S550s but I'd be VERY suspicious. If the price is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Appears TASCA web page will let me check out for this.
They're selling what stock remains. Try finding a Passenger side Brembo caliper on Tasca. Like we already mentioned before in this thread, finding Driver side Brembo calipers appears to currently be a non-issue... for the time being.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Florida
I may be in the minority here but I recommend getting the base s550 GT brake calipers. The pads are larger, and cheaper than the s197 4 pot brembos. I put the s550 calipers on, stainless s197 lines (required because the s550 lines don’t work) and s197 gt500 14” rotors. I love them.

Total was $350 out the door. I did get used calipers, but everything else was new.
09A8971C-F33D-4666-8CB3-F04144FFCFEF.jpeg

Having been down this rabbit hole as a fellow 3.7 affiliate I can offer only my personal experience. I went from base 2011 brakes with centric blanks porterfield r4s pads to the 13.2 inch GT rotors with powerstop trackday pads and boss 302 brake lines. Brakes still sucked with 2 drivers on 70+ second autox courses

When we made the jump to CAM-C we decided factory 4 pot brembos were a must have. Drove a few hours up to Massachusetts to get a set of junkyard take offs to rebuild as the cheapest point of entry. Rebuilt the calipers with seals and hardware from OP mustang only to have 2 of 4 bleeder snap off. Went back to the drawing board and tried buying new calipers from an online ford dealer and they were delayed for months. With the race season pending I went with motorcraft rebuilt calipers from rockauto and haven’t had an issue. Paired them with Raybestos R-300 rotors, Powerstop track day pads and OP mustang titanium shims with great success. Added some homemade brake deflectors made with off the shelf Porsche 964 parts and haven’t had an issue since

Still have 2 brembos with the rebuilt seals and broken bleeders sitting at a friends shop if you want them. Find a competent machine shop to fix the bleeders and you’ll be set

Best of luck with the retrofit,
J

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Found a set of takeoffs with reported 500 miles on them. Ordered, we will see.

Now looking at rotor options. Im not going crazy for $1000+ Girodiscs even tho they are sexy. Working on a series of other upgrades for this winter, will post up when I start. I would think any "budget" rotors will be better, but keep coming back to....

Centric C-Tek or
Centrix 121.611 or
Raybestos R300

I will do some of the local open track days this year, but top out 125 or so, not any high speed courses yet so budget should be fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel