The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Boone's BBB '05 GT Optima & CAM Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I called about seats and spoke with Terry, and he thought I had heard about the new seat mounts they were working on. Blind luck I guess.

Jason tells me they can get 3 more inches of headroom with the redesign. My helmet has to be right on the headliner to see better over the cowl hood, so the adjustment is key for me. He also noted they have tried every slider brand on the market, and the Sparco is the clear winner. I'll update my thread as the installation kicks off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boone

I ran the Charlotte Roval with mixed results. I got to run in the wet a couple of sessions, so some car controls exercises between the concrete barriers managed to give me some thrills. Looping it at the start finish line after the front stretch chicane was a wonderfully embarrassing moment. A couple of dry laps for your viewing pleasure.

My car developed a brutally rough idle after a session. I couldn't track down the issue, and no CEL came on, so I was stumped. The good folks at Pro Dyno determined I had a serious vacuum leak. Removal of the intake showed a partially sucked in intake gasket / O-ring on one cylinder. The over-sized Livernois heads don't leave a lot of meat inside the gasket. It's going back together now, and I'm hoping there aren't any other issues.

This wouldn't be a problem if I put positive pressure in the manifold, so there's one weak excuse to spend $10K and supercharge the motor. o_O

I have a vortech supercharger that’s waiting to go in. I’m up in the air on either building a NA motor or just supercharge a stock engine and have fun with it. Obviously I have to invest in items to keep it cool.

If you had to do it over again any tips? Coyote swapping it is out of the question with the budget I’m working with.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Was that a 5.0 S550 you passed early on? And what was that yellow/orange S197 working with? Seemed like he moved pretty quick. Cool video, car sounds like a beast!

Boone

If you had to do it over again any tips? Coyote swapping it is out of the question with the budget I’m working with.

Jbrad, What power level are you shooting for? 450hp or less, the stock 3V can take it. Put the supercharger on and have a nice day. You want more? Build the bottom end and force feed it. My NA 3V build is a lonely and expensive road, but I am set up to put all the power I would ever want if I choose to. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Boone

Was that a 5.0 S550 you passed early on? And what was that yellow/orange S197 working with? Seemed like he moved pretty quick.

The S197 was an AI car that made 320hp (I assume that is wheel). The car and driver were bonafide. I make more hp than any stock S550 that doesn't have a Shelby badge. The coyote crowd usually doesn't yield quickly to an S197 street car. I've seen a few incidents in my rear view mirror while coming up through the HPDE ranks.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The S197 was an AI car that made 320hp (I assume that is wheel). The car and driver were bonafide. I make more hp than any stock S550 that doesn't have a Shelby badge. The coyote crowd usually doesn't yield quickly to an S197 street car. I've seen a few incidents in my rear view mirror while coming up through the HPDE ranks.

Right on.

Ain't that the truth. Not many people seem willing to yield to these things in general...

Boone

Fiona is ready to go, and a quick run on the dyno yields 422hp at the wheels. The increase is either more favorable weather conditions or, most likely, the stainless rings are seated and sealing better. I'll pick her up on my way through Charlotte since I have a golf tournament in Charleston, SC this weekend. Scheduling an AutoX for 6/15 at zMAX to shake her down.

Boone

Just picked up, as in committed to purchase, a set of OMP seats from a TMO member (thanks Boosted). They are a little more track focused than the EVO II that I was considering, but I can appreciate the head restraint the HTE-R XL will provide. I'm giving up side airbags with the stock seats, so that will even up the safety field. I'm praying the sliders will provide enough space for me to squeeze my fat ass in and out of the car.

I plan to fill in the gaps with Vorshlag components. They have completed a production run of the redesigned S197 seat brackets, and they are pricey at $595 per pair. I'll need to modify the side mounts to make the inboard 3-point harness attachment point once I determine the seat mounting position. I'll be able to keep the seat upgrade under $2K now, though.

Does anyone out there know how to get the airbag lights off once the seat swap is done? I recall there were resistors that can be used, but I could use a little guidance here.

Boone

You obviously move much faster than I. The seats are 10 hours from me, and I plan to pick them up when I attend a track day in Florida. Dear ol' Mom has requested my presence, so I have a Florida trip to make anyway.

I'll document the process and fit as I complete the seat swap over the winter.

Boone

TMO is costing me $$$! Too many wonderful people selling nice stuff. A friend picked up my seats for me, and I just committed to purchase a rear seat delete and a couple of spare HRE FF15 (19x10 ET40) wheels in liquid silver. Exactly like the set I have.

I need to dig in with the seat install and rear delete. It will be nice to do something that will actually take some weight OUT of my car for a change.

Some videos to post, so stay tuned.

Boone

So I finally have some plans to take some weight out of my car and... even more weight is going back in the car. I have committed to purchase a supercharger for my car. What's the point of having forged internals in a NA 3V? BOOST!!!

The previous owner of the FI setup made 700/700 with a similar engine configuration, so we'll see where I end up dialing it to. Pro Dyno will do the wrenching and tuning. I'm going to try to get some corner weights for "before and after" build info.

Moving the battery to the trunk really needs to happen to offset some of the weight up front. Need to get my slicks mounted to handle the extra power and weight. Need to get my seats in. Need to install my rear seat delete.

Going to be a crazy off season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
What kind of supercharger? I was just talking with another member (@Grant 302 ) about pros/cons of different setups and we were of the same opinion that a centri is the way to go for road course.

Boone

I was planning to go centri (Pro Charger D1SC), but a 2.6L Kenne Bell was available with all the supporting components for a very fair price. Owner is on TMO and converting to a Yote, so I figured I'd help him pay for the engine swap. I know I'll be addressing heat issues, but his temps are under control on a max prepped road course car, so I should be able to do the same on my street / road course car. AutoX is going to be a nightmare with the extra weight up front, but big tracks are where my heart is.

Boone

I have a box of goodies coming my way, and... BAM!!! The train goes off the tracks... literally. My delivery is delayed due to a train derailment in Georgia. I just hope none of the contents were damaged, or I'm going to be in for a long fight. FedEx Freight tells me it's just a delay, but I've got my fingers crossed.

TMO Supporting Vendors