The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Advance Road Race Tire setup thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Re: Boss 302 Advance Road Race setup thread

30% chance of showers means 100% full wet weekend. We ran 8 sessions at Summit in a constant drizzle with brief moments of heavy rain and clouds. We almost had a dry line established the last session on Saturday which then got washed away with more heavy rain overnight. The IMG group was fun, a little quirky but great guys. I actually did my first TT today and had a blast with my transponder and reading the run sheets. I was 3rd overall in the first wet session with a 1:53.76, 1st was a GTR at 1:49.45. was out there with F.D. Sako, Steve K (who I think is Race Red 302), his friend Charles who had a nice Boxster S and Greg W who is another BMO member. The IMG/Entropy Racing group runs Spec Renault and Spec Ford Sports racers so when they saw the 3 Bosses, my BAUS, and the 2 other 11/12 GT's they were all over us. It was a very relaxed group, they ran their 6 races, 2 DE groups with TT competitors running in the DE Classes.

Now for the bad news, may I say I am glad the 2013 Season is over for me. Between losing my truck and trailer Memorial Day, Pete crashing his car Memorial Day, Pete blowing his clutch and trans, Gary and John killing clutches, Puffer killing an engine and all the other problems we have endured I thought I had enough. No. Today my throwout bearing falls apart in my last session and I have no Clutch!, 300 miles away with no Trailer! Steve K offered to help in anyway he could but I decided to do what any good NASCAR driver would, I got the car moving by using the starter with the trans in 2nd gear. Needless to say this was very risky, all told I had to do it 12 times, 2 stop lights (1 uphill), 7 stop signs, 1 pee stop on the highway, and 2 gas stops. Say what you may about Ford and the MT-82 they make the best starter motors you can have. Had to put the car in second gear with the engine off, depress the clutch to override the safety switch and the car would roll forward and the engine caught every time. Was able to get from 2nd into 5th easily by playing with the throttle and made the trip in mostly 5th gear. By the time I got to the Tappan Zee bridge there was 13 miles of stop and go traffic, used 2nd and the shoulder a lot during that time. Made it home safely though and now I have a major project to undertake. I do have a take off MT-82 from Crazy Horse 1847 and the pilot bearing and new throwout bearing (must have had a psychic moment last month). Will be seeking advice on clutches, I think I want a dual disc with aluminum flywheel and of course the Ford Racing Pulse ring. Gonna check with Revolution Auto about rebuilding my original trans since it doesn't seem like it suffered too bad and freshing up the synchros, bearings and adding the brass shift arm pads will be a good plan to have 2 transmissions at the ready. Amazingly this was the first and only time I had the clutch pedal stick to the floor and the only shift I missed in 3 seasons of track days. C'est la vie' or some shiznit like that.
Steve

Bummer. At least you made it home safely and without too much drama on the drive. I had to drive like that once with one of my Porsche 911's. it's amazing how strong starter motors are.

Steve - Sounds like you made the most of a very wet track weekend. To bad it had to end on such a tough note. FWIW, you should talk to Exedy about aluminum flywheels as they do not recommend them.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Thanks John, maybe I will stay away from aluminum. I have both a six bolt pressure plate GT flywheel and a 8 bolt Boss PP flywheel. Do the major clutch manufacturers make a pressure plate to go with the Boss flywheel, or do I have to use a six bolt?
Steve

On the McLeod RXT the clutch plates are closer to the center of the driveline and if you use the stock flywheel not all the material will touch the flywheel. Not sure about the others. McLeod also recommended the steel flywheel for road course work.

Steve is your car still under warranty or do you think your dealer will work with you on it? If so I have a strategy I can share with you.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Warranty is kinda an iffy proposition. I am going to call tomorrow but my car is a bit out there when it comes to mods. I will probably go for the RST kit with steel flywheel just to have some peace of mind. What scares me is the TO bearing is going to be the same as the one that failed today, no one makes a better one do they?
Steve

That's incredible, like changing a clutch at the drags, in the dirt kind of incredible. Glad you made it home though. One thing though..
I think I want a dual disc with aluminum flywheel
no you don't !! the aluminum wheel is OK but stay the heck away from the dual disc clutches.

blacksheep-1 said:
One thing though.. no you don't !! the aluminum wheel is OK but stay the heck away from the dual disc clutches.

Yep, I put the Exedy single disc (that Jon told me to get a while back) in the Boss and all the problems are gone! I have come to learn that if he tells me something, it is 100% correct, if he does not know about something they may not use on the race cars he will tell me so.

It was great meeting you guys at the track!

Steve, it's good to hear that you guys made it home safe. I've never heard of someone using the starter to get the car rolling! That's very clever, I have to keep that in mind in case of an emergency one day. But I hope everything works out for the best, and your car gets fixed in time before next season.

YellowBoss said:
Yep, I put the Exedy single disc (that Jon told me to get a while back) in the Boss and all the problems are gone! I have come to learn that if he tells me something, it is 100% correct, if he does not know about something they may not use on the race cars he will tell me so.

I am also using the Exedy Hyper Single disc, but this option is only available with the Tremec Magnum XL tranny or a tranny with a 26T input shaft. I asked Exedy when I was looking whether they would offer this Single Disc with a 23T clutch disc, but they said no, not in the near future. Also, with this setup, you have to change the throwout bearing to the long one.

wwilde001 said:
Also, with this setup, you have to change the throwout bearing to the long one.

Bill
The boss has the long throwout in it with the MT82. I talked with Tremec directly (and JPC) and they said the throwout/slave to use with the Magnum XL is the same as what is in the Boss from the factory without the spacer. These are some notes I made.

BR3Z-7A508-A - (LONG) Boss original, was told by Tremec and JPC (who I bought the trans from)
that this is what to use with the Tremec setup.

4R3Z-7A508-AA (LONG) This is the 05-10 V8 slave and was told by Rehagan Racing it was to use with the Tremec Magnum XL, only they recommend this.

DR3Z-7A508-A (SHORT) is the throwout in the Boss R race car and I think the Shelby, they use different bellhousing input shaft and use a spacer (at least on the racecar)

The difference between the BR3Z and the 4R3Z is very small at least in height, I measured both and the 4R3Z was maybe one MM shorter. However the 4R3Z was used and the BR3Z was new and that could account for a slight change in height. I did try to find out what the difference was between them and ran head on into a brick wall. It does not matter now since I am using the BR3Z with the single disc Exedy now it works great, shifts good and catches almost in the middle of pedal travel, maybe a little higher.

On a side note I've been told that I need to learn how to double clutch correctly in the brake zone on downshifts and take it easier on upshifts. It is hard take it easy on upshifts and that was acknowledged but even when shifting fast it still needs to be smooth. Learning this will extend the life of the slave and transmission.

Started LF 29.5 RF 28.5 LR 28 RR 27.5 Set in garage, morning, not in the sun looking for 39 front CTSCC Slick not GT-I and looking for 36 in the Rolex conti rear

Session 1 Dry, lots of traffic, no clean full speed laps, 8AM start, slow last lap and taken in paddock
O M I
LF 37 added .5 141 140 154
RF 37.5 144 140 150
LR 34 Added 1.5 137 131 136
RR 34.5 Added 1.5 140 134 138

Session two, dry, few laps run, black flags, no clean hard laps, long time back to paddock
LF 36.5 133 132 144
RF 36.5 132 131 142
LR 36 135 131 140
RR 36.5 138 132 137

Session 3 Dry Some clean harder laps but still a lot of traffic, long time back to paddock from track
LF 40 152 151 161 Changed tires so no adjustment
RF 38 152 147 159
LR 38 -1 157 150 158
RR 38.5 -1.5 161 154 162

Day 2 Same starting pressure as day one, front GT-I CTSCC same Rolex rear type

Session 2 track damp, very slick, not running hard, long time to padock
LF 36 139 142 158
RF 37.5 150 145 155
LR 36 -.5 137 140 138
RR 35.5 140 156 143

Session 3 dry, taken in the HOT pits after 6 or so laps?, Clean hard laps
LF 41.5 -2.5
RF 41.5 -2.5
LR 37 -1 158 161 167
RR 37.5 -1.5 160 161 167

Bold numbers are good, if these are 275 x18 to 305 x18 you can add them to Grants and help complete your graph. Which I wish someone would do and post it so I can see it. Notice on that setup sheet I posted that there is a spot for "average temp" as well.

blacksheep-1 said:
Bold numbers are good, if these are 275 x18 to 305 x18 you can add them to Grants and help complete your graph. Which I wish someone would do and post it so I can see it.

Have to see when I get time. You know where I was aiming here but since I was not able to run very hard until the last sessions it was a guessing game at what the pressure was on track. I have the 285 out back and they have given me a harder time to understand compared to the 275's. I get good numbers on pressure and temp with the 285's but end up getting uneven wear (not just here but other tracks). I keep the 275's at 38-41 hot and get almost perfect wear across the contact patch. In the end that does not matter too much as I will be going back to a square setup soon, no more 285's coming in.

Another reason the numbers here are harder to deal with is the toe and camber are set more for a flat course, I expected to see number like day 2 session two when the track was dry but that did not happen.

Long day.......

Left the house at about 7:00 a.m. and got home a just after 7:00 p.m.

Installed my SACHS Dampers and Dennis welded on jacking rails, no more screwing around with jacking one corner at a time!

Got the ride height close to where the Boss has about 3/4" of an inch rake, will be doing the bump steer and counter weight in the next few weeks.

DSCF9729.jpg

DSCF9731.jpg

DSCF9730.jpg

DSCF9734.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Doug, very cool. Were the Sachs dampers new or take offs and where did you guy them?

Take offs, I got them from Brent Dominy, NASA Great Lakes he converted his FR500S clone into a SPEC IRON race car. The dampers have two race weekends and a couple of DE days on them.

blacksheep-1 said:
18mm sway bar?

Yes, it was the optional rear bar for the FR500S. I've got a couple of other rear bars but this is them smallest one I have. We'll see what it's like!

Boss_302 said:
Yes, it was the optional rear bar for the FR500S. I've got a couple of other rear bars but this is them smallest one I have. We'll see what it's like!

You will notice a nice difference, to me it was a night and day difference getting out of the corners. I may even go smaller at some point but I have no plans to run without one.

Boss_302 said:
Got the ride height close to where the Boss has about 3/4" of an inch rake, will be doing the bump steer and counter weight in the next few weeks.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but did you leave a rake in it? My understand it is better with no rake.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel