The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Oil Cooler Leaks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.D. Sako said:
I changed the oil yesterday while prepping the car for the track, and I noticed my oil cooler line had a nylon protection piece zip-tied to where the sway bar would rub. Did you guys have that as well, or did Ford start putting additional layer of protection on the line?

I'll try to get pics next time I jack the car up.

Sounds like Ford didn't put their top problem solvers on this one... IMO the rubbing is not the problem. The sway bar hitting a stiff hose is, since it acts like a lever on the aluminum piping, causing the joint failures and quick-connector failures we have seen. I really don't understand why an ME needs an EE to figure this out... The nylon sleeve you mention will just make the problem worse, the sway bar will contact the lines more often due to the extra thickness of the sleeve...

I fully intend on replacing the stock hoses with flexible hoses that are clamped on. I don't trust Nylon connectors for something as important as coolant lines... I really think the flexible hoses are the solution here, unless the aluminum joint is really that bad that it will leak on its own.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Mine leaked from the metal hard-lines leaving the cooler block itself. Not sure how it happened but I can only assume some sort of corrosion. Was replaced under warranty.

Same for me this past weekend. Last run of the day after loading up on the trailer so very lucky i guess. 11000 miles and 2 years 10 months.

Moto said:
Same for me this past weekend. Last run of the day after loading up on the trailer so very lucky i guess. 11000 miles and 2 years 10 months.
I'm glad it didn't start leaking when I was behind you. :)

Mines been off the car for a while now, When I talked to Watson Racing. They told me they run a stand-a-lone oil cooler on the WC cars. I'm running the Setreb 924 oil cooler. They run about the same from what I'm told. I'm just worried about the stock one blowing at the track.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Moto said:
I will most likely remove mine and see how the temps compare with just the air oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Temps will increase. With the stock and Setrab 915 sized matrix running 235-245 oil temps, With a Setrab 934 matrix only I see temps vary from 260-280 depending on ambient temp, length of session and how much rpm I use (7000-7700). I think it is ok and worth the reliability aspect, but am considering a radiator with built in heat exchanger to run in series with the air to oil setup.
Steve

Alrighty, I guess I will hope the new one lasts as that is too high. That's the temps I was running before I put in the Setrab 915 and I like what it is running now.

Moto said:
Alrighty, I guess I will hope the new one lasts as that is too high. That's the temps I was running before I put in the Setrab 915 and I like what it is running now.

Ron make sure the new one is mounted so the lines aren't getting pushed on by the sway bar. After rerouting mine it has held up for 2 seasons with no more issues..........knock on wood.

cloud9 said:
Ron make sure the new one is mounted so the lines aren't getting pushed on by the sway bar. After rerouting mine it has held up for 2 seasons with no more issues..........knock on wood.

I will. Thanks.

Are you still using the hard lines from Ford or are you using flexible lines? I was planning on running hose so contact with the sway bar won't act like a lever on the joints at the cooler.

WinterSucks said:
Are you still using the hard lines from Ford or are you using flexible lines? I was planning on running hose so contact with the sway bar won't act like a lever on the joints at the cooler.
Still using factory lines. I'm not sure exactly how my mechanic routed them to gain clearance.

cloud9 said:
Still using factory lines. I'm not sure exactly how my mechanic routed them to gain clearance.

Ok. I just checked this. I don't see any way to change the actual routing. I thought maybe they might be on backwards but that would make the long one even longer. Both lay right on top of the sway bar as they appear to be slightly too long to stay off it. I am wondering if it can just be zip tied up higher. I will figure it out though.

Moto said:
Ok. I just checked this. I don't see any way to change the actual routing. I thought maybe they might be on backwards but that would make the long one even longer. Both lay right on top of the sway bar as they appear to be slightly too long to stay off it. I am wondering if it can just be zip tied up higher. I will figure it out though.

I think that's what he did. Sorry but it's loaded on the trailer up at my warehouse for the Roundup this weekend or I'd go check it.

I'm pretty sure I busted mine last Saturday at the track (lucky for me it was at the end of the day).

Is it covered by the warranty? I still got one year left on the powertrain but I got an aftermarket swaybar (Strano).

Thanks

It was covered under the 36 month warranty. Not sure about power train. The more I looked at it resting on the sway bar, it is right next to the bracket where it only rotates and there should be no lateral movement so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Got my car back from the stealarship. Not very happy :mad:

They told me it was the lower hose leaking.
They wouldn't cover it under warranty because I had an extra sensor for the oil pressure just above the cooler and saw scratches on the hose and also that I track my car.
Bringing it with bald tires and no more front brake didn't help either. (replacement parts on order)

They wanted 576$ to fix it, 58$ for testing the block and 80$ for the inspection :eek:

Told them to pound sand and will be fixing it myself.

Swiss Boss said:
Got my car back from the stealarship. Not very happy :mad:

They told me it was the lower hose leaking.
They wouldn't cover it under warranty because I had an extra sensor for the oil pressure just above the cooler and saw scratches on the hose and also that I track my car.
Bringing it with bald tires and no more front brake didn't help either. (replacement parts on order)

They wanted 576$ to fix it, 58$ for testing the block and 80$ for the inspection :eek:

Told them to pound sand and will be fixing it myself.

That's nonsense. Have you thought about talking to another dealer? Plenty of mod friendly dealers around, but sometimes it takes some digging.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Old thread but a few months back my stock oil cooler also developed a crack in the hard line where it is press fit to the cooler during a track day at Laguna Seca.
Terrible timing since that is over 350 miles from home and lost a day plus of track time. Was able to limp it home after trying unsuccessfully to shore up the leak with some quick drying epoxy, among other things.
Poor design, but considering it lasted this many years, track days, and canyon runs, I decided to just replace it under my extended warranty (car is basically stock).
Next time it fails I'll look into a better solution.

TMO Supporting Vendors