The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss S LCA Clunk & Relo Bracket Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7500RPM_Ben

TMO Clueless
A quick question as well, are the front Boss S control arms worth it? Are the only differences the length and the ball joints? Sorry for thread jacking my own thread lol, I did not want to create a whole new one.

The clunky nose you are hearing is from the arms/bearings on the Boss 302s arms., I have rebuilt a couple of sets now, they clunk before and after the rebuild. Here's why, the bearings aren't a press fit inside the collars that hold them in place. A grove and spring clip is what holds them in place. The bearings have room to move inside there. That is where the clucks come from. it's not a big deal on a race car but on a street car, it can drive you crazy.

7500RPM_Ben

TMO Clueless
I added a Steeda Spherical UCA and Bracket, re-torqued the arms, and now I hear only the passenger side lol. I will give it another hundred miles or less, then lift her up and retorque the passenger side again to see if that is the issue.

I’ve just recently experienced this problem as well, and from countless reads of several different forums, it sounds like a lot of the rear ends were assembled out of spec right from Flat Rock.

I can’t link em all, but most of them go like this: https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/clunk-whine-solved-dont-accept-its-normal-527530/

From what I gather, it is mostly an issue 20-40 miles after any amount of modification to your your rear suspension. I Added springs, UCA & LCA’s, brackets, and an adj. Panhard bar, and my car hasn’t made it 50 miles before developing the noise. It starts with the clunk (which I believe is the excess lash in the rear end) and develops the high speed whine as a result. I had my car on and off the lift 5-6 times in two days (I work at a restoration shop that specializes in Mustangs) and find no issue with the suspension components, but observe excessive play in the driveshaft (you can spin it by hand) and with the rear wheels and suspension unloaded, you can spin the wheels and very clearly replicate the clunk from the rear pumpkin.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/driveshaft-issues-after-suspension-work.14912/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/ford-racing-suspension-upgrades.2041/

I haven’t busted open my rear and yet, but will do so this week to check the fluid for the presence of metal/debris and measure the lash. I’ll report back as I know more.

US
On mine, you grab the control arm and shake it and it clunks side to side.
302s lca.
I've decided I'm going to weld them . I replaced the bearing assemblies and they will last a long time. I may just tack weld so i could remove them if i wanted. Otherwise, it's a wear item! Definitely drives me nuts on the street. On track dont even notice it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel