The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CorteX JRi Single Adjustable Front & Rear Damper Adjustment Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread is for the single adjustable (SA) front and rear dampers. For the double adjustable front and rear dampers see the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8864.0

Adjustments for the SA start at full stiff or 0 and go negative from there. My goal was to make them softer for street driving and then I'll stiffen them from there for the track. From the information in the attached the rears have 60 clicks. My fronts appear to also have 60 although my passenger side strut got pretty vague after -50. I've contacted JRi and asked for any documentation they have and will post if they provide additional information. I counted the first click as 0 not -1. The adjusters turned slightly past the first click so to me it's easier to start the first click as 0. JRi recommends you adjust 8 clicks at a time which is one complete revolution. Here's what I have from driving my car on the street today.

Delivered: the fronts were set on -19, rears on -18 which was pretty stiff.
Street test 1: F -27 R -26. This took the edge off but were still pretty stiff. Softer is needed for street driving.
Street test 2: F -35 R -34. This was noticeably softer than the delivered settings and comfortable for the street. I'll try softer for my next test.

16305843530_4e456f309a_o.jpg
16493293765_16de3aba0e.jpg
IMG_5088_zpsd8eca6ad.jpg

Update on this. No changes but I've been swapping emails with JJ at JRi and while the SA fronts have more than 40 clicks he stated only the first 40 , or five full revolutions, have any affect and to not go beyond that. So the fronts are rears have different adjustment dimensions.

Also there is no other documentation available other than the SA rear and DA front PDF's already posted here and below.

http://cortexracing.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/JRi_DB_Adj%20Shock.pdf

Has anyone else ordered or received the SA fronts?

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
NFSBOSS said:
Update on this. No changes but I've been swapping emails with JJ at JRi and while the SA fronts have more than 40 clicks he stated only the first 40 , or five full revolutions, have any affect and to not go beyond that. So the fronts are rears have different adjustment dimensions.

Also there is no other documentation available other than the SA rear and DA front PDF's already posted here and below.

They are being installed this week. This looks like a section of the forum I'll have to pay more attention to now that I'll be rolling their products.

VooDooBOSS said:
This thread is for the single adjustable (SA) front and rear dampers. For the double adjustable front and rear dampers see the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8864.0

Adjustments for the SA start at full stiff or 0 and go negative from there. My goal was to make them softer for street driving and then I'll stiffen them from there for the track. From the information in the attached the rears have 60 clicks. My fronts appear to also have 60 although my passenger side strut got pretty vague after -50. I've contacted JRi and asked for any documentation they have and will post if they provide additional information. I counted the first click as 0 not -1. The adjusters turned slightly past the first click so to me it's easier to start the first click as 0. JRi recommends you adjust 8 clicks at a time which is one complete revolution. Here's what I have from driving my car on the street today.

Delivered: the fronts were set on -19, rears on -18 which was pretty stiff.
Street test 1: F -27 R -26. This took the edge off but were still pretty stiff. Softer is needed for street driving.
Street test 2: F -35 R -34. This was noticeably softer than the delivered settings and comfortable for the street. I'll try softer for my next test.

16305843530_4e456f309a_o.jpg
16493293765_16de3aba0e.jpg
IMG_5088_zpsd8eca6ad.jpg

VooDooBOSS, did you stick with the -34 setting in the rear for street? is that why you contacted the bump stops so much? i'm ready to go there for more street ride qualities - i'm at -22 right now (came factory that way). Same with the fronts i'm at factory settings on my DA's I know this is an SA thread so i'll leave front out.

Quick note about bottoming the bumpers in the rear. I'm running my car level right now, not the usual slight rake forward.. I do not have the bump stop rub marks. do you think its possible your rear lower control arms are not setup for some anti squat? when I had mine set in the top hole there was a very slight angle upward toward the rear axle attachment. my car sagged under power so much I smashed into the bump stops and even hit the upper control arm on the body a couple times under launches and going to 2nd gear with sticky tires. soon as I moved to the middle hole the rear lower control arm now angled down ever so slightly to the rear axle causing anti squat and I have not hit the bumpers since. no change to the springs or damping.

twistedneck said:
VooDooBOSS, did you stick with the -34 setting in the rear for street? is that why you contacted the bump stops so much? i'm ready to go there for more street ride qualities - i'm at -22 right now (came factory that way). Same with the fronts i'm at factory settings on my DA's I know this is an SA thread so i'll leave front out.
With the SA front and rear I'm now running them at 20% firm for the street. So -24 front and -48 rear. Rides very nice until you hit a big bump and then you know the springs are stiffer. ;) I'm not sure I'm going to try any softer as I'm afraid the springs will overpower the damping. I just drove 500 miles to and from Laguna Seca for Track Tour and it rides real nice.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
VoodooBOSS said:

Ordered a set yesterday.
I'd sure be interested in hearing how others like them and what you're using for track settings.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Install on Sunday....can't wait. :p

FullSizeRender.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd love to see some pics of other cars with this setup. Like to see how high the car sits and how much shock travel you have left at that height.
How much shock travel are you typically seeing on track? Obviously it's different from track to track, but on average?
What's the most travel you have seen on a track front and rear?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Fabman said:
I'd love to see some pics of other cars with this setup. Like to see how high the car sits and how much shock travel you have left at that height.
How much shock travel are you typically seeing on track? Obviously it's different from track to track, but on average?
What's the most travel you have seen on a track front and rear?

On the street, I have about 2 1/2" before contact with the jounce bumper up front with the front geometry set to the stock Boss ride height to keep the roll center high. In the back I have about 1/2" to the trimmed factory bump stop and a little over an inch to the jounce bumper on the shock. The rear is set as low as I can live with for street use.

Pretty sure I make contact with all the jounce bumpers on track. The back of the car comes up about 1/2" when I take all my crap out of it for track use. Shock travel should be about 1 1/2". I lower the car up to another half inch up front so there should be at least about 2" of travel to the jounce bumper.

on 26.3" tall PSS with 'full' trunk:
22888867629_5a59443de7_c.jpg

on 305 645F 680R:
17432426273_77399927ed_c.jpg
17865206980_862432d0c9_c.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You are not bottoming at those heights?
I set mine as per cortex instructions and it looks like a truck. :(

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fabman said:

@Fabman quick rule of thumb for S197 (assuming you have tall ball joints in the front) is lower the front until the control arms are parallel with the ground, then set the rear to 0.5-0.75" higher rake.

Won't necessarily be optimal but should cure your aesthetic concerns.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's about where I am now.
Maybe its the difference in body shape for the '06 , but mine looks nowhere near as low.
Buttonwillow on the 27th so stay tuned.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Fabman said:

No issues around here, or on track so far. Roads are pretty good here. What do the CorteX instructions say? What spring rates are you using? What are your tire diameters?

Some pics might help.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Official Cortex settings:

Rear%20Ride%20Height.png
Front%20Ride%20Height.png

Tires are 275/30/18's HANKOOKVENTUS Z214 25.5" tall. Springs are 500/250
I took a couple turns out of the coilovers yesterday, car looks much better, arms are all pointing the right way and set the rear roll center at 9". (I want to work it down a bit at a time)
I just worry about running out of shock travel...I guess we'll see soon enough.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The directions suggest this is already too low...

IMG_5101.png

IMG_5100.png

TMO Supporting Vendors