The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cortex Koni strut mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We got two sets of the Koni race extreme coilovers a little while back. They are great and we are having very good results, but recently my right front mount is starting to pop. When I grab the wheel and lift it I can here it popping at the top of the shock tower. Our tracks down here are pretty rough!

Is the strut mount the same as the OEM one or is it another unit??

Thanks in advance

Cheers

is it the Koni coilovers, or just struts?
I think Cortex coilovers use MM camber plates, so the stock perch would not work with the smaller coilover springs.
Also sometimes with coilovers, if you don't have helper springs your spring will rotate and move around when the car gets unloaded, thus making a poping sound.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
They are the Koni coilovers, Hmm, good point, the sound came after changing tires. Will check the springs. Thanks

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Found the culprit. It was the collar that keeps the koni insert in rhe strut. Managed to get it tight enough to stop rattling. Where can you get the tool that goes into the two holes on the collar to tighten it properly?

I had the same issue when I was using the Koni D/A Race Inserts. The nut is called a "strut gland nut" in case you want to do some googling around.

I emailed Cortex for the size a while back but never got a response. While searching around I came up with the following tool that I think would do the trick from McMasterCarr but some measuring would be advised to confirm it will work. I still need to get one myself.

Pin Spanner wrench with 1.5” pin spacing, and 7/32” pin diameter

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5480a13/=ypzw24

TMO Supporting Vendors