The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Data Overlay: DashWare or RaceRender?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No...Smarty cam is NOT the answer.... Yet.

Which of the two are easier to use/smaller learning curve? Which has better layouts?

Previously I've used my Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and an OBD2 dongle and just used the Garmin software, but I'll be upgrading to the Solo2 DL this week so I figure I'll try one of the aforementioned software packages.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have the AiM Solo 2DL but haven't had the tyme to sit and figure out how to use it. I tried in Hastings but was too busy running laps to figure it out. If some one puts out a nice and easy tutorial, I'm interested.

If you haven't already, try the race render demo software. I've used the demo version of race render with my solo 2dl and gopro hero 5 black with success. The instructions were straight forward and the trial version had many overlays with the main limitation being you can only publish a 2 minute video. The video creation process did take a little while, maybe 10-20min.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Race Render is pretty easy to use, and you can get the whole version for $30 or something.

The SmartyCam is the way to go, IMO (what I run), but it's a tough cost pill to swallow.

TX
Check with @honeybadger on this. I believe he recently went through a number of issues with AIM and various video products. I'm not sure how it turned out.

I started HLT and gopros, then got an AIM solo 2 DL, and then finally the SmartyCam.

While racerender works, it's tedious and can take your PC a while to render stuff. If you're at the track, forget it. The SmartyCam + Solo II DL is stupid reliable, auto start/stops, automatically overlays the data in real time, and is bullet proof. Can't recommend enough

Thanks all. I'm almost.positive I'll be upgrading my camera setup to the Smartycam HD.

Cant get easier than that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Perfect plan

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
TrackAddict on a high end cell phone and RaceRender on the PC to do the video processing, bluetooth OBDLink MX ties it to the car. Really simple, cheap, reliable. I tried Harry's and a few other ones, this one was the winner for me, just stupid easy to use.

Transferring files from Android to PC can be difficult, have no idea why Google can't seem to make their Android junk talk seamlessly to the PC world. Or doesn't want to.

All this stuff is SO out of my realm..........I still don't know how to put a big pic of my Boss on my TMO profile page....if Bill P. could Do it, I might manage it?????............oh well, thanx to Voodoo for getting my Pic in the corner!!!!!!!!!!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Interesting. I had a high-end Huawei (Android) phone for the last couple of years and it was easy to connect to my Windows devices and move files around. As far as the PC was concerned, the phone was just another thumb drive.

I know Huawei gets a lot of negative attention, but I have to say it was the best phone I've ever had. I've had most of the major brands - Apple, Nokia/Microsoft, Blackberry, Samsung and a couple of others, and the Huawei was just a better phone.

Could be the phone, likely is, it's a cheap Chinese job that was supposed to have a really good camera system which is why I bought it only to do this job. But it turns out that even the camera system isn't great, cannot maintain infinity focus even when set on that. I have another phone I'm going to try and see if it gets any better. RaceRender/Track Addict give you a pile of options to transfer files but none of them work consistently with this POS.

What model Huawei do you have?

TMO Supporting Vendors