1. TMO is on a new server
    The forum is now running on a new server. If you come across any strange errors, please report them here.
  2. Forum Software Upgrade Coming Soon - here's what to expect.

Favorite way to compress a McPherson strut?

Discussion in 'How To Forum' started by Duane Black, Jan 12, 2020 at 12:23 PM.

1. Duane Black

Duane Black TMO Race

So what's your favorite way to handle a real-live jack in the box?

I've usually rented the little shit tool from the parts store.... I was checking into just buying one for myself and I stumbles across this little joy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html

It's twice as much, but does it make the job of compressing a spring twice as easy? I can also buy the standard parts store tool. But, I'm tired of renting the tool not knowing what's going to be missing, which bolt for it will be stripped, etc., so I'd like to invest in my own tool for the future.

2. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I have a spring compressor set for coils that attack to the outside and work fine, they also fit inside conventional coils.
    I am Not a big fan of Harbor freight quality. They may work a few times but are not made of the long haul.
    I bought mine years ago. They look similar to these but can be used internal or external to the spring depending on the application.
    https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-Mac...sprefix=coil+spring+compressor,aps,273&sr=8-6

3. Champale

Champale TMO Addict

I've used the usual crummy 'hook and screw' type numerous times on a few vehicles and it works 100% fine. It's not as trick as the piece you've linked but it works.

4. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

I have an OTC 6494, which looks the same as the HF unit, except it costs three times as much. I used the hook and screw ones for years, and got tired of fighting with them. The OTC is much easier to use and way safer.

5. xr7

xr7 Overdosed on TMO

I use the same set as TMSBOSS, only I use 2 sets on the spring, I feel a lot safer with 4 bolts caging the spring rather than just two bolts. Less chance for the spring to slip out and do some serious damage, lots of stored energy. You can reposition a pair of bolts while the other pair holds the spring. Harbor Freight, Ebay, Northern Tool all selling the same tool.

6. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

FWIW- I only buy HF tools to break them. I consider that my disposable tool store. If you're doing one and done job then do it and don't expect much from the HF tool afterwards. If you plan on using them on a regular basis buy something that is known to last. But I must say, I did buy a set of impact sockets from HF almost 20 years ago. They are still working just as good as my snap on and craftsman stuff so I did get lucky there

TMSBOSS likes this.
  7. k98dave

k98dave TMO Addict

Agreed, most of their stuff is such poor "made somewhere else" quality. I had a 3/8th drive ext just twist and come apart with maybe 10ftlbs. Checked it at work, poor material and heat treat surface was hard middle was "O" condition soft.