The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Focus RS is Coming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: focus rs coming

If this hits 350 HP I might have to get one as a DD. A friend of mine has a Focus ST and I think that car is really cool.

ford-focus-rs-spy-shots-001-1.jpg

if it's awd or has awesome revo-knockle / lsd-type setup, I'm in. I can add power ;-) you know it'll be at least 320-ish hp to begin with and be tunable.

Seeing as it's the same motor as the EcoStang these will be capable of making stupid power. Probably give the Boss a run for it's money.

and here's some tasty video...

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-focus-rs-is-a-crazy-sliding-beast-and-wil-1680862706

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84359240&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=M-5HKThVcYw

If it doesn't have AWD, it is going no where near my garage.

It is almost to the point of being comical. The only AWD sporting car sold ever sold by the big three in the US was the Dodge Stealth, which was really a Mitsubishi 3000GT with different sheet metal. OK, maybe the Taurus SHO qualifies too, but barely. I draw the line at the Charger AWD, no that doesn't count, and you can only get AWD with the V6 Charger now anyway.

I have never been able to figure out why the US has been so reluctant to get into AWD cars in general, and AWD sports cars specifically. You have Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Toyota (yes, Toyota once had an AWD Celica Turbo), Mitsubishi, Mazda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Porsche, even Ferrari selling AWD sports cars. There is obviously a market. I think it is probably corporate thinking at its worst, they don't want to cannibalize very profitable SUV and truck sales by offering a superior product with a lower profit margin.

So, if the RS comes in without AWD, it will sell about as well around here as the ST has. I've seen exactly two of those. Meanwhile, WRX/Sti, Evo, BMW xDrive, Mercedes 4Matic, Infiniti G37x, Audis, by the tens of thousands.

counting down...
I think Ford's right that there won't be a lot of cross-shopping between a Hi-po focus and a Mustang...given the low level of interest, on this forum, in the upcoming Focus RS.

Or am I just stirring the soup? either way...it's good for the forum.

fuhrius said:
counting down...
I think Ford's right that there won't be a lot of cross-shopping between a Hi-po focus and a Mustang...given the low level of interest, on this forum, in the upcoming Focus RS.

Or am I just stirring the soup? either way...it's good for the forum.
If this car was offered before the Boss I would have bought it instead, love Fords and I love station wagons so its pretty much a no brained.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

I'm very interested because should the need ever arise to step down, this would be logical. Especially with AWD.

An AWD performance car from one of the big three? There are ice cubes in hell, and formations of pigs are darkening the sky.

But wait. Starts at $38K?

Ouch. Not a lot of Millennials with that kind of coin and for those who have it, there are a lot of choices: STi at $35K, Cadillac ATS Coupe at $38K, Audi S3 at $41K, Nissan 370Z NISMO at $44K, BMW M235i at $44K, not to mention the Mustang GT/Camaro/Challenger. 485HP Challenger Scat Pack anyone?

The reveal video is funny. Did they actually bring out the old Capri? Anyone who ever owned one of those just walked away, since they were terribly unreliable, and rusted if they ever saw a salt crystal.

Also, there had better be an option to delete the hideous wing, or are they taking bad marketing advice from Subaru? I've known two people who took Audis over an STi because of the stupid wing.

I'm so 'in' on this car. I just hope it's not like the raptor where they reveal it 18 months before you can actually get one...I want to start modding that little beast right now.

coboss said:
An AWD performance car from one of the big three? There are ice cubes in hell, and formations of pigs are darkening the sky.

But wait. Starts at $38K?

Ouch. Not a lot of Millennials with that kind of coin and for those who have it, there are a lot of choices: STi at $35K, Cadillac ATS Coupe at $38K, Audi S3 at $41K, Nissan 370Z NISMO at $44K, BMW M235i at $44K, not to mention the Mustang GT/Camaro/Challenger. 485HP Challenger Scat Pack anyone?

The reveal video is funny. Did they actually bring out the old Capri? Anyone who ever owned one of those just walked away, since they were terribly unreliable, and rusted if they ever saw a salt crystal.

Also, there had better be an option to delete the hideous wing, or are they taking bad marketing advice from Subaru? I've known two people who took Audis over an STi because of the stupid wing.

As I surmised earlier, I don't think the traditional Mustang audience is going to 'get' this car...which is another reason why it's great for Ford that they can have a 'one two' punch with hot hatches and the mustang. Scat Pack Challenger as a cross-shop? ATS coupe? Nismo? these aren't the cars that'll be shopped against the RS. Sti, yes. Golf R, Megane, etc...that's the consideration set. The Millennials may not be able to afford the car in droves but that's part of the point. It's aspirational to many...and that'll drive the brand and the sales of more-standard focus and fiesta models.
The Capri was a significant car for Ford, particularly in rally racing. Rally racing in Europe has higher spectatorship that Nascar does in the US.
They're trying to stitch together a heritage of Ford racing that many people have forgotten...and not only is rally / rallycross huge elsewhere, it's one of the fastest-growing segments in motorsports in the US. I think this RS is going to be a great little package and a worthy stablemate to my gt350. Now if we could just get some proper rallycross events going in my area of the country, all would be good.

fuhrius said:
As I surmised earlier, I don't think the traditional Mustang audience is going to 'get' this car...which is another reason why it's great for Ford that they can have a 'one two' punch with hot hatches and the mustang. Scat Pack Challenger as a cross-shop? ATS coupe? Nismo? these aren't the cars that'll be shopped against the RS. Sti, yes. Golf R, Megane, etc...that's the consideration set. The Millennials may not be able to afford the car in droves but that's part of the point. It's aspirational to many...and that'll drive the brand and the sales of more-standard focus and fiesta models.
The Capri was a significant car for Ford, particularly in rally racing. Rally racing in Europe has higher spectatorship that Nascar does in the US.
They're trying to stitch together a heritage of Ford racing that many people have forgotten...and not only is rally / rallycross huge elsewhere, it's one of the fastest-growing segments in motorsports in the US. I think this RS is going to be a great little package and a worthy stablemate to my gt350. Now if we could just get some proper rallycross events going in my area of the country, all would be good.
I agree. This is a great move by Ford to jump into this market segment with both feet. I look forward to see how it performs compared to its direct competition.

fuhrius said:

As a former owner of a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX (the original homologation rally car imported into the US), the very first 2002 WRX Wagon in Colorado, and a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 (285HP 2.3L direct injected turbocharged AWD sedan), I think I "get" the RS just fine. But I also know that money matters, and when someone goes to spend $40K on a car, they are going to look at ALL of the possible choices. There are going to be a lot of people who look at the RS and decide spending $40K for a Focus is a bad idea when they can get a lot of other cars for the same coin. This isn't new, because a lot of people pass on the STi or the Golf R for the same reason. Neither of those cars is a huge seller because of the price tags. There are a lot of people that are going to cross shop the RS with *every* other performance car around, FWD, RWD, AWD, and decide based on their reality which is the best. At that price point, they have a ton of options, and I guarantee a lot of people, especially in the southern US, will choose a RWD Bimmer or 370Z NISMO over an AWD Focus.

I hate to bring it up again, but Ford's myopia on performance automatics is going to limit this car just like it will limit the GT350. All the macho proclamations in the world about manuals won't get a sizeable and growing number of buyers to spend $40K for a car their girlfriend or wife can't or refuses to drive. Yes, a car like this should have a manual, but 22 year old Jason in Dallas who has never driven a stick in his life doesn't care.

The RS will be a small niche and that's fine. I think it is too bad that young people are being priced out of the performance car market. In the 60's/70's a young guy who really wanted a performance car could order a stripped down car with the big engine and get the performance without the price tag. Now, with only a few exceptions, performance cars are all high end items. It is all or none, and all the aspirations in the world don't make a $600/mo payment plus insurance. If Ford sells 5,000 of these per year in the US, they will be doing well. Sales of the Golf R were under 2500 annually. Speaking of which, it is almost certain that this fall, VW will release the 400HP Golf R400.

TMO Supporting Vendors