The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford GT MK II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like another version of the GT is about to be launched. Hopefully between 720-750 HP to compete with the Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and McLaren's. @302BOB probably has one on order. Get ready for him to list his pristine Boss 302 for sale!

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22810/hardcore-ford-gt-teased-for-goodwood-festival-of-speed-reveal

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/21/ford-gt-new-variant-photo-goodwood-f4b67m/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...nch-a-new-hardcore-version-of-its-gt-supercar

ford gt hardcore.jpeg

720-750 HP and 75% off to compete with the Corvette finally?

Why are you all laughing?

The road car is completely impractical as a road car imho. It is not a drivers car. It is a track car. Full stop. It’s a great performer but others like the GT3RS, Mac 600LT, Performante all have equivalent performance for less without the wait for 2 years for delivery and I don’t have to hold it for 2 more years before selling. The latter are also MUCH better road cars.

The fact they put a 6cyl TT in the new FGT still bothers me.

My bet is the new version is $800k like the Porsche 935 to compete in its own series or for privateer teams to compete in IMSA GTEAM.

They bumped HP to be competitive with the 935 and GT2 Club Sport.

The new FGT was competitive for two years in IMSA. First year it won LeMans Porsche was still running the old 997 GT3R platform with the Metzger motor and the BOP fix was in imho to give ford its win for the “Anniversary Return” to LeMan.

Following year RSR showed up and things started to change.

Last two years Porsche dominated Ford. RSR 1-2 Finish at LeMans last year and two podium finishes at LeMans in GTEPro this year. Would have been 1,2,3 had Pilet’s RSR exhaust not broken. He was at least 1 min ahead when he broke.

Keating’s FGT was caught with too much fuel so he lost his first place finish in GTEAM at LeMans and his time penalty put the Bergmeister GT3R in first. Fuel is huge. Saved a pit stop.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Yeah. Love Porsche. Put the engine in the rear seat and act like it's a real 911. The thing is a prototype and the fact that they allow it in GTE/GTLM says all you need to know about Porsche's relationship with the Euro powers that be, and IMSA for that matter. This style of racing is all about being blessed by BOP and that alone makes the entire show a charade IMHO. The Ford and the Ferrari are the only 2 cars in that class that are even remotely close to their road going counterparts.

Plus it comes from a company that thought nothing of screwing every customer who bought one of their diesels and lied to governments all over the world to hide it. So why would anyone be surprised that they won't compete on a level playing field?

Not that I have a strong opinion about it or anything....:)

Yeah. Love Porsche. Put the engine in the rear seat and act like it's a real 911. The thing is a prototype and the fact that they allow it in GTE/GTLM says all you need to know about Porsche's relationship with the Euro powers that be, and IMSA for that matter. This style of racing is all about being blessed by BOP and that alone makes the entire show a charade IMHO. The Ford and the Ferrari are the only 2 cars in that class that are even remotely close to their road going counterparts.

Plus it comes from a company that thought nothing of screwing every customer who bought one of their diesels and lied to governments all over the world to hide it. So why would anyone be surprised that they won't compete on a level playing field?

Not that I have a strong opinion about it or anything....:)

The RSR NOT a prototype. It is homlogated based on the 3RS per the the rules and does share a lot of parts with the .2 3RS and the RSR uses the 3RS engine with some part differences. Placement of the engine was moved forward due to tire wear but within the rules. The old 997 platform ate tires faster requiring more pit stops.

In fact the new RSR is about to be launched based on the 992.

Ford got into IMSA 4 years ago with the new FGT without a single customer car being manufactured or delivered ( not one) and competed against dated competition so let’s not go there as far as relationship with IMSA. IMSA and the board controlling the rules bent over so far backwards to let the new FGT in ahead of the rules they could’ve grabbed there own ankles. Lol.

It took a year or two to level the playing field again after it was tipped in Ford’s favor after that first year.

Anyone who thinks any of these cars is a showroom piece is way off (WAY OFF) that goes for all of them.

Porsche wasn’t responsible for diesel gate. It was VW that unfortunately now owns Porsche. They got what they deserved on that one.

You want to talk screwing customers? Let’s not go there. Remember the Pinto and their gas tanks and that little lawsuit? Diesel gate didn’t leave a body count.

Porsche generally is a great company when it comes to standing behind their cars. I’ve owned many Carreras and some GT3RSs. There was the fiasco with the .1 GT3 engines having a habit of eating themselves. It was traced to a bad batch of cams from a supplier. It was not a design defect.

Porsche extended the warranty on every .1 GT3 for ten years.

Has Ford done that with the FPC in view of the issues there?

;)

Last edited:
Just so you know I love Ford and the Ford GT but calling like it is/was.

Oh many forgot the Gen II FGT was a very successful racer in the FIA and IMSA as a privateer car without factory support capturing a number of GT3 and GT1 titles. Was leading in class for 8 hours at LeMans in 2010 but hit by a car coming out of the pits.

Those who forgot were never in one or driven one, so there was nothing to remember.. that includes the current beast. I wish I could have memories..................
You young wiper snappers missed out. Was some great racing. The Gen II was a great race car and actually won more than the current gen all as privateer w/o factory support!

:)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Sorry man, I can't cut VW/Porsche any slack for the cheapo way they got into GTE/GTLM. Ford spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing a state of the art sports car and then used it as the basis for their race car.

Porsche cheaped out, took their uncompetitive rear engine car and built a couple of mid engined prototypes from it for peanuts compared to what Ford spent. A GT (Grand Touring, right?) car by definition has to be publicly available for sale and these prototypes aren't.

There is a world of difference between the two efforts and Porsche simply benefits from the euro bias evident in WEC/SRO these days.

And don't get me started on dieselgate!!!!:):p:D

Sorry man, I can't cut VW/Porsche any slack for the cheapo way they got into GTE/GTLM. Ford spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing a state of the art sports car and then used it as the basis for their race car.

Porsche cheaped out, took their uncompetitive rear engine car and built a couple of mid engined prototypes from it for peanuts compared to what Ford spent. A GT (Grand Touring, right?) car by definition has to be publicly available for sale and these prototypes aren't.

There is a world of difference between the two efforts and Porsche simply benefits from the euro bias evident in WEC/SRO these days.

And don't get me started on dieselgate!!!!:):p:D

Actually, you are partially correct. No doubt Ford spent a boat load of money developing (with Multimatic where they are also produced) the Gen III FGT but it was developed as a race car (NOT a sports car) to compete with production cars modified within IMSA rules to compete in GTEPro. The problem was all competing marks must be homolgated as you know I am sure. In 2016 Ford did not have the Gen III FGT's homlogated per the rules but WEC/IMSA looked the other way. The Gen III FGT was competing against outdated competition based off road going counterparts.

Porsche develops their homolgated race cars off their road going production GT counterparts coming out of Flact/Weissach. They didn't have to start from the ground up like Ford did with the Gen III FGT. It is not a matter of "cheaping" out.

Once the RSR came out (which is NOT a prototype at all but absolutely based on the production 991 GT3/RS) it gained ground quickly. The engine was moved forward in the chassis as permitted by the rules as they opted for better tire wear over corner exit speed. Porsche has stayed heavily involved in road racing long after Ford left after their historic run in the'66, '67 etc..and tangentially with the Wyer GT's afterward. Ford didn't even back the Gen II FGT in its racing in WEC/IMSA. As such Porsche doesn't need to spend as much money "developing". They've been there done that. Their history and experience in Motorsports dwarf's Fords. Thus, you have Multimatic running their IMSA team with Ford backing. Porsche runs its own show.

As far as bias, all the teams complain of bias. Every single one of them. Constantly. GM/Corvette won the WEC championship in 2018. How do you explain that with Euro bias? You want bias? WEC let Ford compete with the Gen III FGT in 2016 without one customer care being produced and delivered and favorable BOP.. The WEC/IMSA looked the other way. Why? Everyone wanted to see the historic return of the FGT to LeMans on an Anniversary and low and behold they won! Please. The sponsor/commerical money was more importatnt than the rules.

Fact is Ford wisely pulled the plug on factory support with the new F8 Ferrari, Corvette C8 and 992 GT3RSR on the horizon. The writing was on the wall.

VW got what they deserved for diesel gate and Ford got what they deserved for the exploding Ford Pinto gas tanks.

Last edited:

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I just wish they'd build the FGT for the actual market and raise the production numbers. At this point with what they've done with restricted sales, the car feels like a ghost or a prototype, lol. Heck, I've only seen two of them and they were at IAS's.

I just wish they'd build the FGT for the actual market and raise the production numbers. At this point with what they've done with restricted sales, the car feels like a ghost or a prototype, lol. Heck, I've only seen two of them and they were at IAS's.

I agree 100%. The car is way over priced for what it delivers imho. Sorry. I believe pricing was set to offset Ford WEC efforts. The car could have been produced for less I believe. Look at Mclaren.

I saw one last week at a car show. There are a couple in my area. You likely will never see one in the wild. I think total build will be 1350??? So not super rare but rare enough.

At $500k before tax and a 3 year wait for delivery then a 2 year wait before I can sell I opted out. Pass. Cost to insure I was quoted $10k per year. The 6 cylinder put me off a little too. It’s cool but not for me and to my eye the Gen I and Gen II are much nicer looking but that’s subjective.

I know a few that own them. Some brave ones track them. Christ, I wouldn’t ...not unless I had the Ford families’ deep pockets. With a carbon tub like Mclarens they are toast if damaged or unGodly expensive to repair and who knows how to repair it? I was told that even the front splitter is part the front end so if you damage it your pretty much screwed unless your Chip Genasi or Bill Ford.

I heard they are plagued with some issues but quality has improved with production. Even getting to the battery is a pita. It is not a driver friendly car for sure. It had one mission. The track at LeMans which it only won once..in 2016 before it was even homologated and against out dated competition. It’s last win at LeMans. It didn’t even podium at LeMans this year. It’s race record is meh for a car that was built for one purpose... to win at the track and at LeMans. It’s street car performance is equivalent to the Mac 600LT, GT3RS, Performante, ZR1 which cost less and are more driver friendly.

It did win the manufactures title in WEC in 2018. To be fair the Gen II Matec FGT won as much if not more and also was the FIA GT3 Championship in 2009. Also the Matec FGT lead in class for 8 hours at LeMans until another car hit it coming out of the pits.

Most Gen III FGTs will sit in collections and be dusted off for Cars and Coffee.

The Gen II is a much more driver friendly car. A friend of mine has 99,000 miles on his.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors