The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Brake Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VooDooBOSS said:
Regardless of what they look like aren't they still the same?

That is the point.
The bolting on the spindle...because S197 and S550 spindles are NOT the same.
And are they working with 14 or 15 rotors?

Good point! Why not buy a kit for the 2014?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Patrick
Sorry thought you were talking about the 13-14 setup. I don't believe the '15+ 6 piston calipers fit on S197 spindles and I also heard the pad shape is different and is not yet supported by the race pad manufacturers. Any major race pad manufacturer will custom line backing plates if you furnish them though.

Has anyone looked into the new Kenny Brown Front Brakes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlmsq-CY9os

http://www.stangtv.com/features/pri-coverage/pri-2015-baer-and-kenny-brown-team-up-for-competition-proven-brakes/

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/brake-kits/new-kenny-brownbaer-pro-4r-big-brake-kit-2005-2014-mustang-boss-302-and-gt500

VoodooBOSS said:
What are your goals with the front brakes? I think the GT500 setup is a good option for most. Save your money for when your trans needs work. ;)

That is a good question. RGR just had one of his N/A motors make 639HP and supposedly mine is expected be making a little bit more than that one should which has really got me thinking about brakes and braking overall.

I have a feeling that the Kenny Brown setup would be overkill for my needs. With the potential power that I could be making here I am more concerned with being able to bleed off the speed while keeping things a bit cool. Opening up the cooling ducts to 4" and making a rear bracket that would fit them would be a nice step in this direction and it seems as if the kit did have cooling aspects in mind when it was designed which is a nice thing. I would imagine that since this was very similar to the braking system that Paul Brown had on his car that they have been tested and seen extreme heat scenarios and have put some of those lessons into the calipers to make them a little bit more efficient. With the pads that they have with this system I would imagine they will last longer than the pads would on our Brembos would and they way they drop in from the top would make swapping pads from street to race compound very easy which would again help save some of the pad life for track days. It seems to be a really well put together kit and if it is based off of the brake kit that Paul had on his car then it was put through the paces and the pricing seems fairly decent for what you seem to be getting. They should also have a matching rear brake kit coming out as well which will be more bling then anything I would imagine, but that is nice to have. Maybe I am buying into the marketing a little bit too much and I'm sure the Brembos will be fine for now until I get into actual racing. I guess it would be nice to have more then I would ever need in terms of brake performance, plus they do look pretty cool haha.

I doubt I would be doing this anytime in the future and you certainly are correct about the transmission! I think this is a winter time mod for the future though.

My opinion: Get the M-2300-TA. That kit comes with high end rotors that were developed to be sold on the 2013-14 GT500 as an option but were nixed by Ford right before launch. You can couple this with some Goodridge Lines, Good pads and still be well under the Kenny Brown/Baer kit. In addition, you can get service parts from a local dealer or parts store for years to come....

ArizonaBOSS said:
Just remember with that GT500 kit that you will be limited to 19" wheels in the front--make sure the spokes clear on your existing wheels.

ArizonaBoss is generally correct about needing 19" wheels to fit over the GT500 brakes. However, I do know there are a couple of readily available 18" wheels that will fit:

Blowfish Team Dynamic 18x10
Cortex / HRE FF15 18x10.5

I have test fit both of these wheels on Vodoo Child 21's S197 with the 15" GT500 brakes.

The Cortex Jongbloed wheels do not fit.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sexy time.

I can't say for certain on the Ford 15" brakes, but the 18x10.5" Enkeis do clear the Brembo 15" Pro Kit. Not by much.
If someone could get a decent radial measurement of the OEM Brembo caliper installed, we might be able to do a comparison vs. the Brembo Pro Kit drawings. I won't put money on it, though.

TMO Supporting Vendors