The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help - Oil Temp Gauge / Gauge question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey everyone,

I run my Boss on the track from time to time and would like a way to track my oil temp (2012 model). What are some options that you have had success with? What all do I need to buy to make this work?

I think I need a gauge / Pod (does the gauge come with the hardware / sensor etc?). Thought I would ask for opinions on this. I may pull the A/C out so a gauge in the vent would be ideal to keep it out of my view? Thoughts?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Installed the LS pod as well, really like it! Installed Oil pressure, Engine oil and Tranny oil temp as well. An extra idiot light for oil pressure is very useful!! o_O

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I went with the Ford pod and added Auto Meter elite series gauges. These gauges allow for both high and low warnings, temp or pressure. Color, turn on points and solid or flashing modes are programmable. When the engine is warming up I have green lights flashing, when the fluids are up to min. temps the low warnings go off. Too high or temps causes a red light too low of pressure a flashing red light.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I may fall under this category, sorry to say..:D

Next time I will see if they can rig up some kind of electric shock too the rear end (mine, not the cars)

Also with Autometer gauges, Sport Comp i think they were.

Having the temp of the tranny was an eye opener... was getting hotter then the engine!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
If you only need one gauge then use the Roush Vent Pod:

https://www.roushperformance.com/mustang-gauge-pod-vent-2010-2012.html

It will still allow that vent to remain functional.

If you don't mind, I'd like to partially hijack this thread to ask the others what port they are using. Hopefully this is still relevant and helpful to you.

I have a Mishimoto sandwich plate with the 1/4" ports on the side. The outboard side is the "hot" side going out to my oil cooler and I can't simply install my Ford/Autometer sending unit since it will hit the alternator.
Oil Sandwich Plate Flow.PNG

I can use 90-fitting along with a short extension and run it toward the rear of the sandwich plate and install it there. An alternative is to use the Glowshift adapter that goes into the oil pressure port on the block and lets you install the sending unit there.

Glowshift.jpg

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-sensor-thread-adapter-for-ford-mustang-gt-f-150-5-0l-coyote/

Autometer has an installation video using a homemade adapter to do the same thing as the Glowshift adapter.

The Glowshift has an advantage over Autometer's homemade solution, or the 90-degree fitting/extension off the sandwich plate, since there are fewer connnections to get loose or leak.

I know another alternative is to use the oil level idiot light port on the oil pan but I'd rather not get rid of that and it seems that may not provide the highest temp readings.

Last edited:
50BAC00D-2B32-42FC-ACED-4850709EFFCF.png
If you only need one gauge then use the Roush Vent Pod:

https://www.roushperformance.com/mustang-gauge-pod-vent-2010-2012.html

It will still allow that vent to remain functional.

If you don't mind, I'd like to partially hijack this thread to ask the others what port they are using. Hopefully this is still relevant and helpful to you.

I have a Mishimoto sandwich plate with the 1/4" ports on the side. The outboard side is the "hot" side going out to my oil cooler and I can't simply install my Ford/Autometer sending unit since it will hit the alternator.
View attachment 11121

I can use 90-fitting along with a short extension and run it toward the rear of the sandwich plate and install it there. An alternative is to use the Glowshift adapter that goes into the oil pressure port on the block and lets you install the sending unit there.

View attachment 11122

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-sensor-thread-adapter-for-ford-mustang-gt-f-150-5-0l-coyote/

Autometer has an installation video using a homemade adapter to do the same thing as the Glowshift adapter.

The Glowshift has an advantage over Autometer's homemade solution, or the 90-degree fitting/extension off the sandwich plate, since there are fewer connnections to get loose or leak.

I know another alternative is to use the oil level idiot light port on the oil pan but I'd rather not get rid of that and it seems that may not provide the highest temp readings.

Ok I purchased the gauge and a roush vent pod. I’m assuming the gauge comes with the sending unit? I like your idea of putting the sending unit on the block for more accurate temp readings. Does removing the oil pressure sensor or even the low oil level sensor in place of the sending unit cause any dash lights to pop up?
I’d almost rather put the sensor on my sandwich plate, but agree the amount of fittings just adds areas of failure if you need to route it backward to avoid the alternator. Coz, which route did you decide to go? Success?
This is the gauge I purchased.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
This is the gauge I purchased

The gauge you ordered is a mechanical gauge which means it actually has an actual oil line going into the gauge. Cancel your order and buy an electrical gauge. And yes, they come with the sending unit and wire. I would also recommend you shealth the wire in a heat resistant tube in the area ose to the engine and headers.

I'm going with the Glowshift adapter. My understanding is that if you decide to go with the low level sensor port the idiot light will not go on.

The gauge you ordered is a mechanical gauge which means it actually has an actual oil line going into the gauge. Cancel your order and buy an electrical gauge. And yes, they come with the sending unit and wire. I would also recommend you shealth the wire in a heat resistant tube in the area ose to the engine and headers.

I'm going with the Glowshift adapter. My understanding is that if you decide to go with the low level sensor port the idiot light will not go on.

Ah, wish they would explain that on the website...
So I see analog / digital and then I see step gauges or air core?
Guess I’ll need to do more research. I did plan to wrap the line in some heat resistant material. Thanks for the assist!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel