The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"Homeless"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The wife and I are in a somewhat unique position and I know we have quite a few .mil members here. Most of you probably know that we are stationed overseas for another two years. In the meantime, our stuff and family are scattered to the four winds. My parents are watching my Mustang, her Escape, and my F150 is in government storage. All three vehicles are registered in Oregon. My home of record is Oregon and she's technically a Montana resident. We both have Oregon licenses. My firearms are...nevermind, I forgot I lost them in a boating accident. I was using my parents' address in Oregon as my catch-all address when it was necessary to have a stateside one for things like voting, vehicle registrations, etc. Well, they just moved...to North Carolina, with the two vehicles (with our permission of course). So the wife and I are kind of "homeless" and trying to figure out how to consolidate everything.

Normally I'd just switch everything to North Carolina, but Oregon has a pretty good tax deal for military members who are out-of-state, as in, no income tax. There's no vehicle tax. North Carolina taxes both military out-of-state income for residents and has a yearly vehicle tax, so there's not a lot of incentive for me to switch residencies. I have no desire to remain an Oregon resident because...well...we just don't plan on settling there.

Things we'd need to do if we change residencies:
Drivers licenses
Firearms licenses (if any)
Vehicle registrations
Voter registrations
Tax stuff
My military home of record paperwork

So I guess my long-winded questions are, is there a way we can register everything to Oregon without an address? Is there a way to get an address without a physical presence? Should we consider becoming residents elsewhere? As far as I know, there's no requirement for me to become a North Carolina resident or register the vehicles there because they are simply being stored there and are registered in my name in Oregon, plus we don't actually have property there and I've never even visited it before.

I reviewed a bunch of legal jargon on the matter, and I guess home of record should reflect where one would like to be located following their time in the military. We are a long ways from retirement, but there's a few places we'd like to see before then to consider them for settling down in, for a variety of reasons. Arizona, North Carolina, Texas, in no particular order of preference. I went to school in Northern Arizona and loved it, but things are a bit...hazy...from back then so it may lose its luster if I go back someday.

Okay, I think that's the end of my post...sorry if it's meandering, it reflects my thoughts on the matter.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The one thing you mentioned is that your wife is technically a Montana resident and that is one other great State to use for tax purposes, etc. If she has relatives there then switch over to there for your permanent address and then worry well into the future about where you may land. Especially being Overseas that would be a good alternative if available.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Listen to TMSBoss , he knows this situation well, but if your wife has relatives still in Montana , that is a solid future base of operations for low taxes , etc.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
If you want a "physical address" there are some mail storefronts like Mailboxes, Inc. or even UPS stores that rent you a mailbox but instead of a PO Box number you get their address with a Suite #. The suite # is essentially your mailbox.

I am not sure if they are then willing or able to forward anything there to an APO Box.

I agree with TMS...your "virtual" address doesn't matter that much since you're not here...and you're doing ok with the tax situation as it is.Just be sure to have DMV email your registration renewals when they come due. Once you're finally settling in somewhere, then you can make all the permanent changes.Good luck on all your future adventures!!!!.....just out of curiosity, Why'd your parents move cross country to N.C.?......Out of your 3 choices for a future home....I like Arizona the best.....no reason, just an opinion....;)

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Lots of cool places in North Carolina and Asheville is growing with it's eclectic vibe and proximity to the Smoky Mountains. Either way, I would just check with your Base Advisor , as the only concern you might have would be any mail that goes to the Oregon address, though would assume most is already being sent to your APO address?

Quite a few cool tracks within driving distance if you go to North Carolina -- VIR, Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Carolina Motorsports Park, Atlanta Motorsports Park, etc.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll just follow TMS' lead and keep it as Oregon.

My parents moved to NC because my brother lives in SC and Oregon is just...well, Portland isn't what it used to be when my dad grew up there. The wife and I told them we have no desire to come back to Oregon anymore and so they packed up shop to be closer to family. Long term...we'd all like to be in the same general region but I really like Arizona so who knows what'll happen. That's a long ways off and considering my parents originally wanted to retire in Alaska, the future is entirely unpredictable! NC is high on our list as well because of what you said Bill, lots of tracks nearby!

There's been no real issues having stuff sent to my APO address. I'm actually shocked sometimes because stuff gets here really fast as long as it doesn't go via UPS or Fedex. In some cases faster than when I lived in the States!

TMO Supporting Vendors