The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice to see these are holding up well. Another baby on the way, sold the mustang for a family car, a HC Charger. I have a close to new set of Ford Pads for these. I only ran them on the street for about a month while I waited for my gloc pads to come in. 125 shipped. Email for pics etc.
[email protected].

I found motorcraft calipers on rock auto
Pn bfrc-430
And bfrc-431
Will I also need to source mounting brackets and hardware or does anyone know if the motorcraft calipers come with?

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
For anyone who had gone up fron the stock brembo, can anyone document increased pad/rotor life (i.e, used to get 3 events, now get 5 events per set, etc?) We mainly do this for heat dissipation I'm sure, but can anyone claim more braking power (i.e., used to consistently brake at 3 for "that" corner but now consistently drive a little past 3) I'm really intrigued as I was about to go 4 piston on my car but this looks exciting.

I see Steve posted part numbers on page 1- looks like there are two different brembo calipers on these cars, one carrying 4 pistons, the other 6 and we obviously want 6?

If you go with the older 4 piston caliper, is there a reason you cant run the 15 inch rotor on that setup? I thought that's what the 2013 GT500 did. (Nvmnd, looks like that was indeed a 6 piston caliper)

I have 2017 performance pack wheels (19x9) and apex ec7 18x10 so I should be able to clear these easily....

Last edited:

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
... checked my race compound prices-big yikes on the 15 inch 6 pot! I've been paying $240 for pads on my car, would pay $270 for a 4 put brembo, but $400 for these pads from porterfield (st43 or st47!)

At that rate, I could run 2 sets if dtc70, a pad I liked but didn't like the longevity....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes pads get more expensive.... But for example, with a new set of Pagid RST-3 pads I get at least 7 hours of track time. Oddly enough, found it was the most economic way to go. Liked the cheaper Gloc R18 as well but they last quite a bit less. RS29 pads are even more expensive but will last for 8 to 9 hours of hard use.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Honestly I did not see much difference in wear.... but that's because you just start braking harder! I have raced two different GT3 Porsches (regular flavor, not cups) and the upgrade to 15" brembos ment I could actually beat them on braking. Some thing you can"t do with the 14" setup.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
@Mad Hatter , I probably saw it in the 14 pages I read, but what is your opinion of the brake feel, and how did you drive around it or work around it?

It looks like the Vorhslag issue was around putting the 6 piston on a 4 piston s550,not a s197, right?

My car of course came as a v6 on baby brakes. I understand that the v8 brembo had different vacuum booster. I can actually source s550 motorcraft calipers cheaper than the 4 piston brembo. Fun!

Also, I presume you're on racing suspension and tires. I fear being on 200tw I might already be braking as hard as I can anyway but I've been wrong before .

Another thing I think of is... I'm making 300 hp and an running 3650 ish with driver, maybe 3750 if I'm on a full tank of fuel at the beginning of the day. I top out around 130 mph on several key straightaways and may have to scrub down to 45 or so. Vorshlag said 90% of us would be fine with the 14" brembo, and that's a system that went on a slightly heavier and substantially more powered car.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
ahh too true, I forgot you were with the V6. I really noticed the extra braking of the 15" S550 calipers and gt 500 discos brakes on my Boss at over 120 mph. The brake travel got a little bit longer but nothing I could not get used to.

With good pads the 14" brembos were quite impressive.

About the expensive Pagid pads.. with 14" brembos on a lighter car and lower speeds the dam things will last for ever.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I do have a couple notable brake zones at VIR where I have to go from 130-45 ish, roller coaster and horse shoe. could be worth considering still since thats my home track and she is tough on brakes. Another consideration is that a solid set of front brakes might make CMP a more viable track to me, place cant get over 110 for me, but it has 2 brake zones that scrub 70 mph, 4 more that scrub 40 or so, and its 1.99 miles long.

I can source powerstop pretty easily for a brembo, and motorcraft s550 stuff is about $150 ish more without factoring in pads.

It sounds like you're saying it's not worth the extra 15 lbs or so per corner for a massive 15" rotor though?

Last edited:

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
EDIT: bought the stuff, bolted it up.

EVEN WITH AN 8MM SPACER, THESE PICTURED WHEELS WILL NOT FIT THIS KIT!!

Reading through here and getting confused about which performance pack wheel is what and which fit.

So I'm dropping a picture. This is a wheel I believe for a 2017 performance pack, a 19x9 factory wheel. Does anyone know if it fits? Does it need the 3mm spacer?20191223_175729.jpg

Last edited:

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Building off the earlier comments, are there any OEM rear big brake options beyond the ‘13-‘14 GT500 that anyone knows of for the ‘11-‘14 GT/Boss? FTB was working on a rear GT350 kit but could not find a cost effective solution for pad knock back from the solid-mount caliper on a floating axle.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Man, I'm asking a lot of questions here lately.

Hawk's site isn't right, I'm convinced, nor is TireRack.com If one puts in a "2016 Mustang GT Premium" or a "2016 Mustang GT", they get the same brake pad number from Hawk, and that can't be right. So I looked up the Caliper on Tasca Parts, and it shows the same caliper also fitting a 2018 Mustang GT Shelby 350, but not the Shelby GT350R. So I checked on TireRack for Hawk products that fit a Shelby GT350 (not an R). I got this number for a Hawk pad.

HB903U.604

The number when I ran on Hawk's site and TireRack for a 2016 Mustang GT, any brake, was this:"

HB805U.615

I'm thinking I would need the HB903 pad?

When one goes on Hawk's site to compare, there appears to be a minor difference in the shape of the backing plate, and the pads are a touch thinner on a Shelby 6 piston though? (edit: looks like it's not the same?)

HB903.jpg

HB805.jpg

(Edit: Really confused by companies not clearly stating "for 6 piston Brembo) as it looks like the "802" would be for a four piston design?

HB802.jpg

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Man, I'm asking a lot of questions here lately.

Hawk's site isn't right, I'm convinced, nor is TireRack.com If one puts in a "2016 Mustang GT Premium" or a "2016 Mustang GT", they get the same brake pad number from Hawk, and that can't be right. So I looked up the Caliper on Tasca Parts, and it shows the same caliper also fitting a 2018 Mustang GT Shelby 350, but not the Shelby GT350R. So I checked on TireRack for Hawk products that fit a Shelby GT350 (not an R). I got this number for a Hawk pad.

HB903U.604

The number when I ran on Hawk's site and TireRack for a 2016 Mustang GT, any brake, was this:"

HB805U.615

I'm thinking I would need the HB903 pad?

When one goes on Hawk's site to compare, there appears to be a minor difference in the shape of the backing plate, and the pads are a touch thinner on a Shelby 6 piston though?

HB903.jpg

HB805.jpg
[/QUOTE/]
You need the HB 805 shape. Notice the larger arc at the bottom, that is because GT350 rotor are .25" larger radius, The width and pin centers are the same. Please don't destroy rotors using Hawk pads. Go Pagid if you can, Carbotech next option.

TMO Supporting Vendors