The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I Want Apple CarPlay In All Of My Vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used this for the first time in a new Ford EcoSport rental I had for driving from Omaha to Hasting for the Mustang Roundup. I own four cars that all offer some form of BT or direct integration with my iPhone but they all pale compared to CarPlay. I couldn't believe how easy it was to connect my phone, download my address book, use voice comments and in general just work properly. That included using voice texting. As an Apple guy I hope this is in all cars soon.

Anyone else have CarPlay in their cars?

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

In the V6L
I used this for the first time in a new Ford EcoSport rental I had for driving from Omaha to Hasting for the Mustang Roundup. I own four cars that all offer some form of BT or direct integration with my iPhone but they all pale compared to CarPlay. I couldn't believe how easy it was to connect my phone, download my address book, use voice comments and in general just work properly. That included using voice texting. As an Apple guy I hope this is in all cars soon.

Anyone else have CarPlay in their cars?

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
I have it in the GT350 and the 2018 Explorer Sport. I haven't used it though - I have (until today) had an absolutely excellent Android phone that does all the same things with Android Auto. The AI powered traffic functions in Google maps are the most useful to me. I'm switching to an iPhone XR tomorrow, so we'll see which one works best.

I still got my less than $8.00 a month dumb phone, so I'm not "privy" to all this new stuff.You can't teach an old dog new tricks unless you give him a pepperoni pizza..........I'm having a cinnamon pop tart right now as I type......................

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My 1 up from the bottom '18 Hyundai Tucson DD can do either Crapple Carplay or Android Auto. I use Android which works really well, simply because I refuse to pay the ridiculously exorbitant prices Apple wants for what is low end Chinese made junk, er, stuff, made in the biggest sweatshops, er, factories, in the world. They had to put fences on the roofs to keep the workers from jumping off.

There, that's the extent of my social conscience, aren't I now a wonderful human being?:D:rolleyes:

My 350 is the first and only car of mine to have apple/android car play and I love it. Super easy to use. Will be quite necessary for me soon as next year my state will have hands free cell phone laws while driving.

In the V6L
One of the clever tricks that Android Auto does is to take advantage of the way that Google search is synchronized between all your devices. If you have a Google account and you're logged into it on both your Android phone and your PC, you can look up a destination and check traffic and other stuff on the PC before you depart. When you plug your phone into the car, the location that you just searched on your PC will be at the top of the list of available destinations when you launch Google maps navigation in the car. Very convenient.

In the V6L
Ct has had that restriction on cell phone use for over 2 yrs now, but enforcement and compliance are lacking.It seems people are addicted to talk and text on their phones where ever they are.....................
We've had this for about 5 years now. Fine if caught is around $800 or so. "Caught" means that your phone is available for use - sitting on the passenger's seat or in the cup holder and you're guilty, even if it's turned off and the battery is dead (there was a high profile test case and the driver lost).

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have it on my F-150 and my wife's Edge but not in the Boss. Car Play can be somewhat confusing to use but I like how it works with Google Maps for GPS and like TMS said, messaging. I'm sure I'm not using it to it's full extent because I never bothered to sit down and go through all it can do.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I believe that Bestbuy sells a head unit with the apple car play integrated into it for about $280 + tax so if you've got the time and inclination to mess with your whole fleet the option is there. I do love the apple interface but don't care to upgrade to it because I try not to use cellphones while driving unless I have too.

TMO Supporting Vendors