The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just ordered some 19x11 EC-7 for the rear, what about the front?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just got my 18x11s ( black ) ordered from the knowledgeable and likable guys at Apex. Thanks to Ryan and glad to send a couple of my friends their way also -- one got a set of 18x11s and another went with the 18x10s for his rain setup ( good idea as a narrower tire works a lot better in the wet stuff). Should have the rims next week and then can get them mounted with some Used Pirelli slicks.

Forgot to mention that I went with 19x10 in front. I ordered 285/35 and 305/35 PSS for the summer. I wanted the new 4s but they don't have 305/35 series yet. I plan on going to a 305 4s square with 19x11 and appropriate mise en place later. I think the 1R3Z-1130-AA center cap I ordered will be here today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
So just test fit the Bullitt/Mach 1 center cap, it fits but it’s not perfect. It’s somewhat loose. I’m going to go ahead and order a full set of caps and ‘shim’ them with something such a Teva or possibly Tesa tape. On my satin black wheels it looks damn near stock.

Photos?

When I say it’s not perfect; the circumference is fine, it’s the depth of the attachment tangs that renders it a bit loose. Rick I will get a better pic. It’s dark here in Columbus.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
This thread grew quick, sorry for the late response gents :) The EC-7 Mustang wheels were in fact designed specifically to accept an OEM Ford cap, however there are a number of caps available form Ford. We can corroborate that a number of these cap do not work well with the EC-7 wheel, and we are giving this topic attention as we speak.

I'll update the community soon and appreciate everyones feedback.

- Ryan

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Just got my 18x11s ( black ) ordered from the knowledgeable and likable guys at Apex. Thanks to Ryan and glad to send a couple of my friends their way also -- one got a set of 18x11s and another went with the 18x10s for his rain setup ( good idea as a narrower tire works a lot better in the wet stuff). Should have the rims next week and then can get them mounted with some Used Pirelli slicks.

Great working with you Bill, and congrats again on the new track weapon. We look forward to the first day you put the car and our wheels through their paces.

- Ryan

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
See, this is why so many of us are ordering Apex rims. This manufacture makes a quality product, is willing to listen to our needs , however small , and try to give us quality service in even what many would consider a very small area of interest. Kudos to Ryan and Apex !!

AB3_CE58_E_BCC3_4_A47_B60_D_8488_D53_F9_E73.jpg
E61_F28_DA_6203_493_E_9703_56_EC9424_C9_BC.jpg

Got home late, these pics are outside at dusk.
My question to Ryan and Apex is why design wheels for the S197 or the S550 and then spec a cap from some of Ford’s most obscure cars from 1998-2004?
I ordered another set of caps from an even rarer application today. The 2004 Anniversary GT which came from Ford with the 99-01 Cobra wheels. Same horse over tri-bar design but slightly different retainer design.
I do have to say I love the wheels with the Bullitt cap, my GB GT has the BAP badging and the GT/CS grilles so these sort of tie the whole thing together. I was hoping to mount them Saturday but I got screwed by the TPMS supplier. Avoid these guys like the plague
Source One AutoParts in Michigan.

Last edited:
$80 but I have a connection to a dealer so I paid cost minus on some NOS inventory. The best price on the Bullitt caps I saw was CJ Pony Parts at $34.99 plus the 8% discount. When the Anniversary caps get here I will have pics of those up as well.

Hi kinda new here, and got EC-7 18x10's. Did the center cap search thing as well.
Seeing all these caps listed with sizes in mm, or no sizing info at all got confusing. Lots listed at 65mm, I don't believe that is true. There are 2 1/2 (63.5mm) inch cap (tri-bar pony and others) Then I saw 2 5/8 (66.675mm) from s197. S550 cap was like 2 1/8(?), all I remember was "definetely too small"
I saw the explorer (as well as other cars) cap at 2 9/16.....screw it split the difference. They were $10 ea and available in 4 colors, blue, silver, black, and gray. They fit TIGHT. They almost don't fit, before giving up, one last very hard push, they fit. Recessed a good bit, but they are there. Opinions on the recessed caps are welcome, but I like it... is my opinion. Matte gray on shiny gray the recess is kind of fitting.
I think I'll order another set as I am a bit afraid they'll break on removal. I don't know yet as I haven't tried. I really wanted Ford logos and not a running pony.
Other fitment notes. I went for 285/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3. Economical choice for now. Still stock suspension, saving for MCS coilovers, I wanted tires for the colder months too. 1-2 year plan to get more done, then stickier tires. However that's TMI....11.4" section width, I needed a 5mm spacer for the front.
Hope this helps with someone else's center cap search.

Attachments

• 20180713_103721.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 108

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Hi kinda new here, and got EC-7 18x10's. Did the center cap search thing as well.
Seeing all these caps listed with sizes in mm, or no sizing info at all got confusing. Lots listed at 65mm, I don't believe that is true. There are 2 1/2 (63.5mm) inch cap (tri-bar pony and others) Then I saw 2 5/8 (66.675mm) from s197. S550 cap was like 2 1/8(?), all I remember was "definitely too small"
I saw the explorer (as well as other cars) cap at 2 9/16.....screw it split the difference. They were $10 ea and available in 4 colors, blue, silver, black, and gray. They fit TIGHT. They almost don't fit, before giving up, one last very hard push, they fit. Recessed a good bit, but they are there. Opinions on the recessed caps are welcome, but I like it... is my opinion. Matte gray on shiny gray the recess is kind of fitting.
I think I'll order another set as I am a bit afraid they'll break on removal. I don't know yet as I haven't tried. I really wanted Ford logos and not a running pony.
Other fitment notes. I went for 285/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3. Economical choice for now. Still stock suspension, saving for MCS coilovers, I wanted tires for the colder months too. 1-2 year plan to get more done, then stickier tires. However that's TMI....11.4" section width, I needed a 5mm spacer for the front.
Hope this helps with someone else's center cap search.

We appreciate your feedback and again apologize about the mixup with the center cap sizing. Useful info indeed!

Seeing all these caps listed with sizes in mm, or no sizing info at all got confusing. Lots listed at 65mm, I don't believe that is true. There are 2 1/2 (63.5mm) inch cap (tri-bar pony and others) Then I saw 2 5/8 (66.675mm) from s197. S550 cap was like 2 1/8(?), all I remember was "definetely too small"

Forgot about this thread. The caps that fit are the 01 Bullitt, 03-04 Mach 1, 2000 Cobra R and the SVT Focus caps. The only issue is the front. They need a spacer to clear the spindle nut cap. The first cap I trial fit was used, it was a bit loose. The new caps I installed fit perfectly.

I'm hoping that Apex will offer the 19 x 11" EC-7 in a ET26 or similar offset for a proper fit without spacers.

Last edited:

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I'm hoping that Apex will offer the 19 x 11" EC-7 in a ET26 or similar offset for a proper fit without spacers.

Our new 19" SM-10 wheel release offers just that. A lot of cool features are built into this wheel like spoke scalloping, knurled beading along the inner and outer barrels and they will even fit the current era OEM center caps :D LINK

- Ryan

TMO Supporting Vendors