The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Larger Rear Brake Rotors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
TMSBOSS said:
Papa Smurf

Rear pads!!!

I have used Pagid pads and they are killing my rear rotors. Fronts stop great and wear very well. The rears???

How many track days do you get with the Raybestos pads? rotor wear??

I put the rear ST43 pads in last August, and I have not taken them out since. About 2000 street miles and 9 track days so far I think. 6 or so of those track days the rear calipers were sticking too. I've used less than 1/2 of the pad and not much rotor wear. I'm highly impressed with them

For the fronts, I only have 1 track day on the ST47's but saw no noticeable wear on pads or rotors.

Over the next 2 weeks I have 3 more track days planned so I'll have a better feel for the front pads after that

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Cobrarob said:
Will do,looked around for them not to many guys sell them thou.
Did your guy ever get em?

He is getting tooling to cut the right pad shape for the rears. Porterfield sells them at the moment but not for an amazing price or anything. Agree they are tough to source.

Fronts are easy though

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
JScheier said:
For those of you running this rear setup (I've had it since July 2014)... are you noticing any additional brake moan / squeal when coming to a stop? It seems this is a common problem on some of the GT500 boards... and I'm experiencing it as well. All of the 'common' remedies have not resolved the issue. The only thing missing in the setup (OEM parts) is the anti-groan bracket (U-bolt and bracket), but in theory, that is only for moaning symptoms when in reverse.

Nothing beyond what I am used to with track pads. I have not put in OEM pads to see if they are quiet. I'll see over the next weeks though if it is trending worse. All 4 brakes squeal at the moment since I generall keep track pads in all the time though

JScheier said:
For those of you running this rear setup (I've had it since July 2014)... are you noticing any additional brake moan / squeal when coming to a stop? It seems this is a common problem on some of the GT500 boards... and I'm experiencing it as well. All of the 'common' remedies have not resolved the issue. The only thing missing in the setup (OEM parts) is the anti-groan bracket (U-bolt and bracket), but in theory, that is only for moaning symptoms when in reverse.
I'm getting this really bad with my Stoptech 13.8" rotors and new brackets. So bad that I thought something was wrong with my car. I've isolated this to my rear brakes and not sure what to do about it. Mine is not consistent and at least I'm not alone. ;) Are you using the Ford rear caliper brackets?

Is the theory that rotors that large and thin vibrate or something along those lines?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
NFSBOSS said:
I'm getting this really bad with my Stoptech 13.8" rotors and new brackets. So bad that I thought something was wrong with my car. I've isolated this to my rear brakes and not sure what to do about it. Mine is not consistent and at least I'm not alone. ;) Are you using the Ford rear caliper brackets?

I'm running OEM GT500 parts ( brackets and rotors). The noise is mainly on street pads and doesn't appear to have anything to do with the amount of heat in the pads or calipers (based on testing). I can drag the brakes and get them nice and hot, still have the squeal. Hit them bone cold, still have the squeal. Yet, other times, not a peep out of them. Very difficult to isolate the problem.

Is the theory that rotors that large and thin vibrate or something along those lines?

Ford hasn't really said anything about it based on what I've read on the other forums, and the GT500 users seem to be hit-or-miss with the issue. I've loaded the back of the pads with anti-squeal and even that didn't seem to help.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NFSBOSS said:
I'm surprised by this. Are you turning off the traction control? My rears are wearing well and the Pagid RS56 rear pads last longer than the RS29 fronts.

Rick

I was surprised also.

1000 street miles and 3 track days. I failed to shut off the TC for two runs at the track day recently. Smoked the rears. Wore out the pads and work the rotors through the slots.

Ordered a second set of pads and rotor rings.

If this set has same results, I will switch brands.

Very possibly an operator head space issue. God forbid. LOL. ;D

Mine make noise also, but only with the HP+'s until they wear in good and flat with the rotor. Then it's not so bad. Stock style 2013 GT500 rear brake setup.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
First track day today with the new GT500 rotors on the rear. Worked great! Strong braking, no bias issues, and had zero fade at Limerock. I'm going to bleed them this weekend to make sure no bubbles, but the pedal feel was excellent through 25 minute sessions in 85F ambient temps.

So far, I am very very happy!!! I'll check out the brackets as well, but they seemed to hold up just fine

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
NFSBOSS said:
Did you hear any moaning from the rotors especially in reverse?

Not a peep. And zero sticking rear rotor either. Which is a first for me. They always stick after a track day in the past. I'll drive it on the street a couple days next week and let you know if I still have no noise. Also back at the track next Thursday for more testing.

Just discovered this thread. Perfect timing as I just rebuilt my rear calipers and noticed I needed new rotors. Brackets are on sale over at ebay right now @ 114.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162101928898?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Went with the less expensive centric high carbon rotors. Stop tech slotted will be going on when I wear out the fronts.

This forum has an inverse affect; the more I read the less money I have!!

Cruiserfx said:
Just discovered this thread. Perfect timing as I just rebuilt my rear calipers and noticed I needed new rotors. Brackets are on sale over at ebay right now @ 114.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162101928898?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Went with the less expensive centric high carbon rotors. Stop tech slotted will be going on when I wear out the fronts.

This forum has an inverse affect; the more I read the less money I have!!

Yes & no. I found this thread which saved me the work and $ of having to pull axles ti install GT500 brackets just to use bigger rotors so I'm still ahead.

Seem like many fall into what I call "Technical Bling" Where mainly street cars or light duty track day car owners send lots of $$ to equip cars with items from reading about what a full on race duty car has or needs. ??? May give you peace of mind, but that's about it. Spend you mod money wisely not just because it looks race car cool! ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel