The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Thanks for responding, appreciate it. It's hard to tell from that link I posted but the lip hangs vertically across its width. Almost like a small ducktail spoiler but on the bottom of the car. So I'm unsure but it SEEMS like the air would flow under that lip, with a turbulent lower pressure area behind it, as opposed to being pushed out to the sides? I'm out of my depth here which is why I posted.

I don't have any problem with cooling and was wondering if it might reduce lift slightly (by smoothing and speeding up the underbody airflow) if I removed it?

I understand where it fits, and you're not wrong, it will make a low pressure area behind the it, but, depending on how low it hangs, there will be some pretty good interaction with the road, so we're not just dealing with free-stream air. How much gets shot laterally and how much continues to travel longitudinally is really one of those things you'd have to test to know. *IF* is gets rid of some cool ambient air and then replaces that with some hot radiator air (lower density), then it might not be too bad of a deal. Someone put it on there for some reason, so I doubt it's complete ballast, but, at the same time, I'd hesitate to try to guess at its overall contribution by just shooting from the hip.

Someone put it on there for some reason, so I doubt it's complete ballast, but, at the same time, I'd hesitate to try to guess at its overall contribution by just shooting from the hip.
I hear you. Like you my first instinct is the engineers put it there for some reason so leave well enough alone. But then Ford has done it both ways - the lip is there on the standard Boss but then they removed it on the Boss LS so I'm trying to understand why.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
but then they removed it on the Boss LS
I thought maybe the LS splitter interfered, but the installation guide for the 2013 LS splitter has you reinstall the deflector after you get the splitter bolted in.

I thought maybe the LS splitter interfered, but the installation guide for the 2013 LS splitter has you reinstall the deflector after you get the splitter bolted in.
I thought the underside of the LS looks like this? Is this maybe some type of pre-production version?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel