The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking to Improve Engine Cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's two pictures. As you can see, I'm not a fit and finish dude! I had a body man lined up to do this but he got busy and I wanted it in for a track day so I just did it myself, from the top it looks great, I think I posted a picture of it somewhere here. Not that hard of a job to do really, the template they give you is full size and the instructions are easy to follow.

The only issue I had was their template shows that you leave the strip of hood between the two sides. I used several different cutting tools, jig saw mostly as it cuts really fast, but the vibration from it fractured the end of the center strip at the back so I ended up cutting that out entirely as well. Doesn't make any difference, the vent itself is very sturdy.

And just to finish this off, I ran Mosport today and I did a new PB lap of 1:35.005, last month I had done a 1:36.6 so this was a big drop. I had numerous laps in the 1:35 range predicted but with catching slower cars and letting faster cars past this was the only lap I completed without a slowdown. There were no other changes to the car between these two track days and the weather was the same, sunny and warm.

The engine temps on the back straight peaked at 218, last month I was seeing around 250 as I recall. So this hood vent has really worked well, very happy with it. I can feel the rear end working now, before it just followed the front around. Doesn't do anything stupid like snap oversteer, it is looser than it was but really predictable and easy to catch if it does break loose.

I am pretty damn happy with the way this thing has worked and would highly recommend it.
View attachment 9374
View attachment 9375

Glad to see the Race Louvers are working well... After all heat exchangers need two things, surface area and cooling airflow to exchange heat.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel