The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking To Mount Oil Temp Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
I'm trying to plan out an install for a temp sensor. I've seen a lot of you guys installing into the pan, but not sure if I want to do that just yet. I have a Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate for my cooler. Could I tap into the plate and install a sensor? Would there be a difference in how it reads in those places?

I'd love to see pictures of y'alls setups, and also where you guys have mounted gauges in the cabin.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I'm subscribing for info too. I have a sandwich plate with ports for the sensors. The problem is that the side close to the alternator is the path with the oil coming out of the engine and where you'd like the sensor to be. But there is no room there. It may be possible to install a 90-degree fitting with an extension towards the back but that doesn't seem to good.

Using a ported swivel adapter between the sandwich plate and oil line gets uncomfortably close to the sway bar.

I've heard that there is an adapter manifold that can come off the oil pressure sensor port. Interested to hear if anyone here has experience with that.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You could switch sandwich plates to one that has a port for a temp sensor or you could add a T into the oil line which would accept a temp sensor.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
Would a T cause the readings to be a bit different due to the sensor not being in the actual flow of the oil? Kinda like a pocket made where the T is?

Also do you know of any plates with a port for a sensor? That seems like the easiest route right now.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Thermostatic? Not off the top of my head. The Boss S (and my car) have a Canton one. You can get sensor ports for AN lines at Summit or Pegasus Auto Racing

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
Being a car I still occasionally drive on the street would a non thermostatic plate become an issue in colder weather? Only have a 934 setrab. I could make block off plates, but it would be a royal pita to put them in haha. I appreciate the help.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The thermostats for this that I'm aware of aren't integrated to the plate itself, they are inline units from Improved Racing and the like. I don't want to give bad advice here since I don't have any experience with that.

I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead. I'd like to install a MECHANICAL oil temperature gauge. This might not be the popular option, but I like mechanical gauges, they don't usually lie to me... I purchased an autometer gauge that has a 5/8"-18 UNF fitting. I didn't think this would be a problem, it seems I was mistaken. I found a plate for Mazda's (Miata, RX7/8) but that's all I can find. Here's a link:

Autometer makes an adapter that fits 3/8" NPT, but I can't find one of these either. Can anyone recommend a way to connect this oil temperature sensor?

Thank you

I'm gonna bring this one back from the dead. I'd like to install a MECHANICAL oil temperature gauge. This might not be the popular option, but I like mechanical gauges, they don't usually lie to me... I purchased an autometer gauge that has a 5/8"-18 UNF fitting. I didn't think this would be a problem, it seems I was mistaken. I found a plate for Mazda's (Miata, RX7/8) but that's all I can find. Here's a link:

Autometer makes an adapter that fits 3/8" NPT, but I can't find one of these either. Can anyone recommend a way to connect this oil temperature sensor?

Thank you
https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2263-Temperature-Adapter/dp/B00062YVMA or

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Pretty much all the sandwich plates I've seen have 1/8" NPT ports. For your scenario, it would probably be easiest to mount the sensor in the oil pan. Or use a Tee fitting in the oil line. There are numerous adapters for 5/8"-18 to 3/8" NPT and 1/2" NPT.

If your oil lines from/to the sandwich plate are AN-10, Earl's makes a 5/8-18 to -10 ORB adapter that you could use to attach to a -10 Tee in one of the lines.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel