The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
@VelBlu32 welcome to TMO! Always good to have more Canuckians on here. I had planned on making the track day at 'bogie on the 19th but SWMBO has informed me my presence is required at a dinner party she is holding on that day. Thus ends that plan. Will try again next year.

Did a lapping day there 2 years ago in their school cars, and about a thousand laps on a sim in rFactor, it's a fun track and I'm looking forward to getting my 'stang up there and see if it likes 'bogie as much as it likes Mosport.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I was thinking the same thing about the roundup Bill. Kind of difficult though since it's hit and miss running into other track rats with 'stangs (are you still lurking out there Brad? Get an account dude!!! LOL!!!) and then the question of the long haul arises. But it would be a lot of fun for sure.

I'd be up for a road trip. Hell it's only 20hr's from my place. 1pair of ear plugs, 6 pack of Depends, 12 pack of Jolt Cola.....good to go!! Maybe VelBlu32 would join us?

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Hi folks,

I learned about TMO through "Kona Bob" Tremain from Hawaii as he was leaving my home track, Calabogie Motorsports Park (CMP), earlier in September to continue on his North American track tour... great guy to meet, interesting stories and am very thankful he led me here, this is an awesome site!! My name is Ralph Thorhauge and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada where CMP is about an hour drive away. I recently retired from a long Public Service career that included a role as a full time professional instructor for the last dozen years and part-time instructor for many years prior to that. As a life time motorsports enthusiast, I've been member, Treasurer (2006) and Instructor with the Motorsport Club of Ottawa (MCO) and am a current member of the Ottawa SportsCar Club (OSCC). When CMP decided to become the first Motorsports Safety Foundation (MSF) certified organization in Canada to deliver the L2 Instructor program, I attended it's first class in Sept, 2018. As a L2 MSF Instructor, I am part of the Calabogie Coaches team for HPDE. I'm also a Race Official for the local CMP based Challenge Series club racing in roles ranging from Pit-lane to Operating Steward in race control.

I've owned several Mustangs through the years, highlighted by a new 1989 Fox-body LX Sport 5.0L then later by a highly modified track car acquired in 2003. That car, a 1988 Fox-body LX Sport with all the Ford Motorsport goodies of the day installed on a built / blueprinted stock block, including a TKO 5 spd / Motorsport driveline, a great combination of MM and Grigg's chassis / suspension parts, including a torque arm, delrin bushings all around, corner balanced with adjustable spring perches, Koni yellows, roll cage / subframe / rocker bracing, 5 point harnesses, Cobra five lug conversion and brakes, custom splitter with brake ducting, etc... it was a fabulous track car to drive (Tremblant, Shannonville, Mosport, CMP) and is still competitive (with some upgrades) while being run in a club racing format at CMP by it's new owner. My rides today include a black 2018 Ford Fusion Sport (AWD and a twin turbo 2.7L V6) with a complete Steeda suspension installed, Tracy Lewis Catch-can, SS Flex-lines, hi-temp Motul fluid, (track wheels/tires in photo) etc plus a new velocity blue 2019 Mustang GT PP L2,(6 spd, Magna-ride, Active exhaust, cloth Recaro's,... otherwise stock, for now. The wheels / tires on the car in the photo are PP1 19X9 (Nickel lustre) with a square 265 Michelin AS 3+ tire for the street to save the PP2 wheels / MPSC2'3 for the track. I'm looking to install some Camber plates, trans / diff coolers, catch-can, and any other necessary part to make the car a bullet proof, street-able track toy! I think TMO is going to be a fun place to interact and learn from some great folks!

View attachment 10213View attachment 10214

Welcome aboard VelBlu32! I'm down the road in Kemptville. Hope to see you at the track next season. Bought a 13 Boss 302 back in March but have traveling to much this year and only got to Shannonville once. Ran CMP with my Focus RS and it's a fantastic track IMHO! Got to run the Boss up there!

Howdy folks! My name is Chris and I founded the first late model Mustang web site on the Internet called The Corral (http://www.corral.net) back in April of 1995. I started my Mustang career with a 1987 Mustang GT with T-tops that I used to drag race on Friday nights until a friend of mine finally convinced me to try open track events. So in November 1995 I did my first open track event and was pissed at myself for having wasted so many years on the drag strip.

After getting bitten by the open track bug I did many events with Car Guys running at: Summit Point, Roebling Road, Watkins Glen, Rockingham Motorspeedway, Lowes Motorspeedway, and Carolina Motorsports Park. By 1997 I had my SCCA competition license and started competing in an RX-7 in ITA and instructing HPDE with Car Guys. Press drives through corral.net expanded my track repertoire with Waterford Hills and VIR. Since my real calling has always been the Mustang, so I sold the RX-7 and bought a 1979 Mustang that had been mostly prepped for autocross and converted it to American Sedan. We updated the car with 1993 body work and I raced it for a couple of years until a major crash destroyed the car in 1999.

That same year my beloved '87 GT got totaled when an F150 rear ended me. It was replaced with a then-new 1999 Mustang GT which became the new Corral project car. When I was finished with that car it made over 500 RWHP and had just about everything done to it you could do to a car and still have it be streetable. 2003 IRS, forged internals, blower, intake, cams, T-56 conversion, exhaust, N2O (plumbed but never used), Methanol injection, air-water aftercooler, Wilwood 6-piston brakes, etc.

In 1999 I started construction of a 2000 Mustang which was built solely for Amercian Sedan. It was built from a BIW and took two years to finish. I raced that car from 2001 until 2010 winning a Regional SCCA championship with the car in 2004. In 2010 a rocker arm failure sent needle bearings into the oil and since we didn't know if the motor had picked any up and eaten them I sent it off to be rebuilt. I was not high on the motor builder's priority list so it was a year before I got it back. The car has sat with the new motor since then, but I hope to get her back into fighting shape this winter. I may try my hand at NASA's AI series; however, I'm going to get my ass handed to me because an AS car is no challenge for an AI car.

In 2010 I sold corral.net which has been a blessing and a curse. I also sold the 1999 GT and replaced it with a Sterling Gray Metalic 2011 GT500. I had already tried the build it yourself route and thought I'd see how the buy it already built route worked out. Of course I couldn't leave the car alone, so I "added lightness" to the car and put in a carbon fiber driveshaft, and switched to Boss302 R wheels which knocked off 50-pounds of rotating and un-sprung mass. Knowing the new GT500 was coming and having missed the horsepower boat in 2013 with the GT500 I opted to sell the car in 2018 before it lost any more value when the new 2020 hit.

I sat around without a toy for the street or track for the past year and hated it so much I decided that I would never again sell a street Mustang without having a replacement already in the driveway. So I bought a 2013 Boss 302 in School Bus Yellow. It has been modded pretty thoroughly and has a full MM front K-member and rear control arms, watts link, long-tube headers and full 3" Bassani exhaust, coil overs, a 4-point roll bar, and a $15,000 stereo that will make your ears bleed. This car is a HUGE change for me, because I'm normally a "Speak softly and carry a big stick" kind of guy. The GT500 was very under-stated and nobody ever messed with me wanting to street race me (which is fine with me). The Boss is loud, has a huge wing on the back and is anything but subtle.

I've added a bunch of tracks to my resume: Road Atlanta, New Hampshire International Speedway, PIR, Laguna Seca, Sendai Highland Raceway (Japan), Nelson Ledges, Sebring, Moroso, and a few others that escape me at the moment. I'm continuing to instruct for Summit Point's Friday At The Track program, and now that I have a track toy again, I hope to be out more in 2020. I am an eternal student and firm believer that there is always more to learn about driving. To that end you will never hear me say that I'm a great driver, because I will never be at a level in my own mind that would allow me to call myself such.

Looking forward to visiting here!

IMG_3181.JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sold my SBY some years back and it was a favorite since I loved the tribute to Parnelli. You will enjoy the beast and you definitely will be known when you arrive at the track even though the Boss is so subdued, ha. Great Forum, both fun and informative and as a fellow instructor I wholeheartedly agree one can never stop learning.

Welcome and I can't wait to hear about your track exploits when you let that Pony out of the corral!

Last edited:
@Corral Man Welcome. Why was selling Corral both a blessing and a curse?

Hey all, I currently drive a 2016 Mustang GT S550 convertible, track pack, kona blue. I also own a 1995 Mustang GT SN95 , stock and ugly. I am also a co-driver in the Champcar series driving a 2002 Bmw M3. We suffered a catastrophic engine failure in April this year and hope to be ready for Sebring this December. Thanks!
Instagram @damit_bobby20191123_123600.jpgIMG_20190121_180753_990.jpg20190131_092805.jpg

@Corral Man Welcome. Why was selling Corral both a blessing and a curse?
Well because the freedom from not having to run it enabled me to start a driving school which eventually lead to my first Patent Pending device (http://www.blacktopbootcamp.com/atss). But I was sold a bill of goods that they would make the site better and take it to the next level, which in my opinion they never did. I lost touch with a lot of great people and faded into oblivion in the car world. I'm hoping to claw my way back so I can start doing things like Mustang press drives again. I drove the Boss 302, 2008 Bullitt, Nissan GTR, 2011 Mustang GT, and a few other cool cars. I even drove a prototype 2001 Cobra with a Magnetti Marelli automatic T-56! It was a cool car. I miss those days.

Howdy TMOers,

Long time lurker and admirer of the venerable BOSS Mustangs. And the Three Stooges (hence, screename). I've got a 2012 GT with some suspension mods but I don't frequent the drag strip or the track, I am just an enthusiast and always looking to improve what Ford delivered. Historically, I had an '86 Capri RS (first year for fuel injection!), then a couple other Fords, then a '98 GT, and now the '12 GT.

I have picked up a lot of interesting and useful info on this site so I figured it is time to sign up and try to contribute.

Cheers,

Chris

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Chris

Welcome!!

All sorts of Blue Oval fans are welcome. No need to track your car to joint the group. Regardless what you are interested in, someone here has likely done it. Some with success. ;)

From your list of Mods, you are a brake mod away from a fun track machine.

TMSBOSS

TMBOSS,

Thank you for the welcome. I like the subtle nudge to consider heading to the track. ;)

I recently saw a thread (on another forum but might be posted also at TMO) about putting GT350 front brakes on a '11/12 or '13/14 GT (or Boss). Priced out at about $1,700 which seems like a steal for a big (huge?) brake package. Mulling... But then the rear brakes would certainly have to be improved even if just on the basis of looks alone, lol.

Chris

Chris, welcome to TMO. While the idea of adding GT350 brakes sounds like a great idea they are very heavy and there might be better options. Like installing the PP brakes. Check out this thread.

Hey all my name is Scott and I live in Santa Cruz CA. I’ve got a 2016 Ecoboost and did my first event in 15yrs yesterday, Laguna. Had never driven Laguna before and it was a blast.

I used to drift when I was younger and spent a lot of time at Buttonwillow and WSIR. I’ve always loved turbo cars so i actually wanted an Ecoboost specifically. I know that’s blasphemy to most of you but I really love it.

Anyways I really enjoyed my first “grip” day and it’s a whole new can of worms. The stakes are so much higher. I used to tandem drift a lot and that doesn’t compare to hauling on a road course, but you guys already know that.

My car is pretty mellow. Working on getting it reliable and predictable for the track so I can work on driving. some suspension arms and bearings, camber plates, steeda springs on PP struts, gt350r bars, gtpp brembos with matching master cylinder, and some basic engine bolt ons and tune. Schroth quickfit pro over the cloth recaros held me in really well surprisingly.

I enjoy fabrication as well as nerding out on technical aspects of car setup and driving so this site is obviously a gold mine.

I also enjoy baking and making pizzas so I’ll be sure to jump in the pie thread as well.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys soon at the track!

D2181C93-363E-46B5-B93C-5C4FF80B5967.jpeg

B6756EBA-60F3-4855-B177-EFB7FB871C54.jpeg

ABEEA791-DB2D-4549-AE23-0255DC8934ED.jpeg

C6B946CB-DAD0-47D7-A197-FF3693731DA9.jpeg

A8B1F20F-6961-4BE1-BADE-54F438CE1B44.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Scoots, glad to have you over here and no fear that being boosted is blasphemy, because you will have more and more brethren coming to TMO month after month. Actually quite a few Boosted Brothers on the site now, and with the enthusiastic push by some Engineers to continue the Performance Pack mods with the lightweight Stang, the Turbo Group that reside here will continue to grow.

Nice job on the tow hook and look forward to reading your posts. Pretty tough that your maiden track attack was at Laguna, had to make that initial romp pretty special?

TMO Supporting Vendors