The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MM 6pt roll bar modification planned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am jumping into a new race class that requires a more extensive roll bar then my present MM 6pt roll bar. Will be on the track with GT3's!! LoL! about 5 seconds behind the pole.....

Its currently like the photo below.....

e%2fAssets%2fstore_images%2froll_bars%2fMm5RB-20.5.jpg

Has anyone modified theirs so that a bar extends in front of the driver with supports?? Have several ideas but wanted to see if its been done already by some one else. The car is still street legal as I have no trailer yet, so would like to keep that option open.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I am jumping into a new race class that requires a more extensive roll bar then my present MM 6pt roll bar. Will be on the track with GT3's!! LoL! about 5 seconds behind the pole.....

Its currently like the photo below.....

e%2fAssets%2fstore_images%2froll_bars%2fMm5RB-20.5.jpg

Has anyone modified theirs so that a bar extends in front of the driver with supports?? Have several ideas but wanted to see if its been done already by some one else. The car is still street legal as I have no trailer yet, so would like to keep that option open.

I have that same bar and also need more cage. That bar is very narrow at the top so it would be difficult to attach the A pillar bars to the main hoop and leave adequate headroom. I'm opting to sell my bar and start fresh with something that more closely fits the contour of the roofline. These are basically drag race bars and are meant to fit with the stock interior so the hoop is extra narrow. Can it be done? Probably but you'd be better off selling it and putting that money towards a proper fitting cage that doesn't go to the rear wheel wells as that isn't nearly strong enough to pass a tech inspection. Take a look at the rules for your racing division, they usually are very explicit about what's a go and no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am in the third world (third rhymes with tur....:)). They just asked for a bar over the head thats supported.... that fact that the MM roll bar is certified means its better then most of the ones in our group. Obviously would have to be quite decent for my own safety's sake! I still cannot bring myself to strip it down to metal like you guys... Its nice to go on a street legal long drive once in a while.

Looking at your car...... You are going to be very very fast and need a full roll cage! I am several hundred hp behind you........

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Am in the third world (third rhymes with tur....:)). They just asked for a bar over the head thats supported.... that fact that the MM roll bar is certified means its better then most of the ones in our group. Obviously would have to be quite decent for my own safety's sake! I still cannot bring myself to strip it down to metal like you guys... Its nice to go on a street legal long drive once in a while.

Looking at your car...... You are going to be very very fast and need a full roll cage! I am several hundred hp behind you........
You don't have to have the front roof hoop?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Sorry I ment they are asking for something coming out over your head and supported infront of the driving position. Beyond what the MM roll bar gives you.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Not sure I'd consider putting in a halo and still having the full interior trim. Sounds like time to choose one or the other?

If I remember correctly, the track attack cars had an S bend in it to wrap in front of the dash on the driver side. Passenger side just bent down in front of it. Passenger side view:

MG3_3214.jpg

MG3_3219.jpg

MG3_3202.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks Grant!! that would do perfect!! I know I am trying to have my cake and eat it....But the fact that its a Ford track Attack car will help me with the local Safety tech guy.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Look at where the roof hoop meets the side of the roof here behind the seat....nice and tight. The MM one is 10" away from the roof.
MG3_3214.jpg

This is the MM bar, that roof hoop would be right over your head.

5668_10154005442373535_686184626773851376_n.jpg

GT350 TA school car 4 pt roll bar...looks like a Watson bar. Interestingly, the Mustang GT school cars have a 6 pt bar installed (image taken from video of "hot laps" in a GT350 w/ instructor driving).
inGT350.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmmm, going to have to get creative. As Fabman says, the MM bar makes things a little more difficult..... The corner is quite far from the bulkhead.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I heard back from Jack Hidley at MMsports. He was kind enough to suggest the following...

"The first thing that you need to do is to check the racing rules for your sanctioning body to see what rules exist for rollcages.

Welding in the extra tubes will be difficult as there isn't enough access to where the tubes meet each other all of the way around.
Normally either the roof or A-pillars get in the way of the welding.

I would try this. Weld 8" long tubes with a 2" ID on the main hoop pointing forwards near the top. Tack weld these in place. Then
unbolt the rollbar and drop it down to the floor, so that these tubes can be fully welded. Then put the rollbar up on the rear seat
(move backwards). Bend the side/a-pillar tubes out of one piece for each side of the car. These can be held in place, while the main
hoop is slid forward over these tubes. Then make the halo tube. Tack weld it into place. Pull the main hoop back onto the rear seat
area. Drop the front tube assembly down, so that the halo bar can be fully welded. Then hold it back up, while the main hoop is slid
back forward. Now the front tubes can be welded to the front of the car and to the 8" extension tubes."

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Wanted too update what my roll bar ended up like. Just went to pick it up today and getting usd to it.... The extension to the MM roll bar is all bolt in so I can remove it to pass road inspections etc.... And take the family for a spin once in a while... Looks like a need a bigger race mirror as the cross bar limits its view.
upload_2018-3-17_20-42-56.jpeg

upload_2018-3-17_20-43-31.jpeg

upload_2018-3-17_20-44-11.jpeg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats the spirit.... I have always been very immature... so that's a good thing when your well past the half century mark!! .... Right??? At least we are are not those old men who get nice cars only to troll for girls in!! Wives wont let us...

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel