The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
"Mach E" is not Exactly Mustang. A "Mustang Inspired" name, yep.

Might want to discount doublecheck Rick's post above, they're indeed calling it "Mustang Mach-E". I was very excited for the Mach E, but I have zero love or excitement for a Mustang Mach E. I knew the mustang (in the format as a pony car) was a dying breed, but this is the first big step in that direction by Ford. Will it be exciting? Sure, but it should be its own thing. Mach E fit given that it took many cues from the mustang.

Here’s the ad copy.

2B0B2AA6-FE87-48D4-92A1-AC06996D810A.jpeg

In the V6L
I think this Mach-E-avellian plot makes a Mach-ery of the Mustang name. It's not that it's an SUV - it needs the scale of one to lug all those batteries around - it's that it's really an Explorer. They could have called it an "Explorer ET" and the advertising could have talked about its ability to phone home!

In the V6L
I see that they're taking a page from the Tesla book and setting up a reservation bank where you can put $500 down and get in line. It takes Mach-zy to adopt Tesla's marketing strategy - it's great if they sell out but it'll look bad if they find themselves with a 3-day signup list.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
The thought of owning an EV of any brand up here in the Great White North ! makes me very nervous. You wouldn't believe how much sand , salt and chemicals are spread on our roads in the winter. Cars up here don't last. Thats why a lot of folks drive "beaters" in the winter. I would have to drive it in the summer only...so whats the point. Ive got the Boss for that!!!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Is this the beginning of a new Mustang II debacle? You would have thought Ford might think twice about cheapening the Mustang brand by sticking the name on this rather weird looking device. Not a Mustang in any way and doesn't remotely resemble a Mustang other than some largely superfluous frills like the taillights. I don't see the Mustang brand helping to sell electric cars, the owner profiles are so divergent. But whatever.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Just don’t understand this at all the Lightning name or Fusion seem much more logical for this. This will be a divider for the name sake for sure, it will be for me. Some icons, and namesakes should be kept sacred... Mustang is one of those

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Relax Francis. (Stripes, the movie reference)

Ford Is Not replacing the Mustang line with the Mustang Mach-E line so no, not the same as the Mustang II era. If you lived through that wonderful time, it was mostly in response to government mandates. Calling the Mustang II just that may have been a saving grace to the line. It drew a definite line between the muscle car mustang and the asthmatic weak baby sister we were stuck with. Sound Familiar??

Sacred. Not sure IF I would go that far. Would I rather see this electric SUV refereed to as the Bronco Mach-E, sure. Sacred, not to me.

Does Ford now have two new "Mustangs" in the headlines and soon to be in the showrooms?? Yep. Both will have their purpose and following. The plug in version will have little affect on the fossil fuel version. The reverse will also be true.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Relax Francis. (Stripes, the movie reference)

Have we met? How did you know my middle name? There's maybe 3 people in the world that know that. Well, maybe a few more now. LOL!!!:p:D:)

Yes, I lived through the Mustang II era and remember the disappointment and outrage from Mustang people. It wasn't pretty! And neither is the "Mustang inspired" E thingie. I'd really like to know how the pony car "inspired" the E car, it's really a stretch. But I suppose that's the state of marketing to the younger generations these days.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
But I suppose that's the state of marketing to the younger generations these days.

Agree. That's why I stay in he production end of the pool. I build the stuff, build the facilities and make things happen. Convincing folks to buy something?? Not my cup of tea.

I can see the basic lines of the latest Mustang in the Mach-E. Too bad its not a hybrid. More folks may consider buying one.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight...

That front end in red is horrific. They should have at least put in a faux grille. I think I'll wait till they come out with the Mustang Flash. (Flash get's my vote for the real Mustang EV)

US
Would you buy a 10 year old used tesla?
I think resale values will be in the toilet. Thats my reservation on buying an ev. I would buy a 10 year old gas powered mustang . hell, id buy a 50 year old mustang.

That said, my next point is this: if you want to see progress in the world of ev's--- you make a mustang car an ev. Mustangs are bought by guys who are not afraid to pop the hood and ask themselves "how can i make this biznitch faster???" And they crack a beer, put on some gloves and open the tool box and get dirty. The race for 1st ev in the 10's is accomplished in the 1st month, 9s in 6 months, 8s in a year and 7s in 2 years. Then FORD will steal that street engineering and sell gt500ev's with a dealer Mark up of 20k. Mustang guys like to modify their cars. I don't see many tesla owners doing that. Once we start seeing these mustang mod shops figuring these cars out, id consider buying one. A used one for cheap and mod the shiznit out of it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel