The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Ford Performance 5.0L/5.2L GT500 Aluminum Oil Pan and Pump Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Both the pan and pump will be an upgrade over the GT350 pan and pump that are in the car currently. The Current setup has 5200 miles on it, 4800 of which are on track, including 5 total event days on high bank tracks (2 on Charlotte, 3 at Daytona). There have been no indications of oil pressure drop even at Daytona where the engine is 7000+ rpm continuously for over 15 seconds twice a lap. New pan has increased capacity, real trap door baffling and cast aluminum construction that should help shed some oil heat and act structurally to girdle the bottom end. The pump features .080" wider gears and supposedly a stronger material (haven't learned exactly what they are made of yet) to both increase volume flow and durability. If it is good enough to hold 760 Supercharged Horsepower I would imagine it will support 550 N/A HP.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve

This looks like a nice piece. Interested in knowing how the install goes as well as you opinion of the pump. Will she hold up to Track Use??

Tracy
Tracy, we have mapped out the install which is pretty invasive but nothing @2012-Boss and I haven't done before. Will take the time to install a set of PAC valve springs while we have the engine out. "Go like Hell +8200!"

In the V6L
Both the pan and pump will be an upgrade over the GT350 pan and pump that are in the car currently. The Current setup has 5200 miles on it, 4800 of which are on track, including 5 total event days on high bank tracks (2 on Charlotte, 3 at Daytona). There have been no indications of oil pressure drop even at Daytona where the engine is 7000+ rpm continuously for over 15 seconds twice a lap. New pan has increased capacity, real trap door baffling and cast aluminum construction that should help shed some oil heat and act structurally to girdle the bottom end. The pump features .080" wider gears and supposedly a stronger material (haven't learned exactly what they are made of yet) to both increase volume flow and durability. If it is good enough to hold 760 Supercharged Horsepower I would imagine it will support 550 N/A HP.
Thanks for replying on the drain plug - a better pan and a real drain plug - hard to do better than that.

The other question is the pump - is there any way to know if the new pickup fits the existing Voodoo pump? Seems to me that leaving the factory pump in place is a lot less invasive, is it not?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Tracy, we have mapped out the install which is pretty invasive but nothing @2012-Boss and I haven't done before. Will take the time to install a set of PAC valve springs while we have the engine out. "Go like Hell +8200!"

Steve

Interested in finding out the time needed for both upgrades as well as the cost to upgrade the springs. I checked with my dealer and the pan pump set is cheap considering what you get. In you opinion, what else needs to be “Freshened Up” on a 2012 Boss motor? Timing set?

Thanks for replying on the drain plug - a better pan and a real drain plug - hard to do better than that.

The other question is the pump - is there any way to know if the new pickup fits the existing Voodoo pump? Seems to me that leaving the factory pump in place is a lot less invasive, is it not?
Even if the pickup fit the Voodoo pump, there's no way of securing it to the pump. The pickup uses two bolts like the Coyote directly to the pump (as well as the support to the main). You would have to fit up a front tab like the Voodoo road race pickup.

Based on the photo of the kit, I don't see a main stud for the spacer included (for the rear support). For a Voodoo, you'll need to get this stud as well.

Last edited:

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

No totally different configurations. I don’t think it will fit any other Coyote pump either the tube size is larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve

Interested in finding out the time needed for both upgrades as well as the cost to upgrade the springs. I checked with my dealer and the pan pump set is cheap considering what you get. In you opinion, what else needs to be “Freshened Up” on a 2012 Boss motor? Timing set?

If you haven’t done springs yet they should be done. I would do at least the chains and change the front sprocket to a forged steel one. The timing tensioners and guides next. I don’t think the phasers fail but if you are going in get the complete 2011-14 timing kit from Ford Performance and don’t worry. That’s about $600 in parts. To do the pan our plan is to drop the engine and trans out the bottom together on the K member by disconnecting and lifting the body off on a two post lift. Then take the engine and trans off the k member with an engine crane to do the pan work. Getting it out and ready to work on will take a day with a helper. Day two we tackle the valve springs then pump, pan and timing stuff and hopefully button it back up. Day three will be mating it back to the body, reinstalling the radiator, a/c parts, reconnecting hoses and wiring as well as reinstalling the intake manifold and CAI. It is a lot of work so if you can do it yourself with some help from friends you will save at least $1200 in labor. Plus you have the knowledge that you checked every bolt and timing mark and hose connection on the job.
Steve

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Steve

Thanks

My "Assistant" has worked on fords since the 70's. First as a line mechanic, shop foreman and service manager. So labor will cost a few lunches and dinners.

Parts?? Guessing around $2200.00 with PAC springs, timing parts and pan kit. Am I close?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve

Thanks

My "Assistant" has worked on fords since the 70's. First as a line mechanic, shop foreman and service manager. So labor will cost a few lunches and dinners.

Parts?? Guessing around $2200.00 with PAC springs, timing parts and pan kit. Am I close?

About $2000 should get it done. Pan is $700, timing set is $550, crank sprocket is $100 (TSS) and PAC springs from Modular Head Service are $550. $100 for miscellaneous gaskets, coolant etc.

TMO Supporting Vendors