The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New tires but made in 2013?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Rob and everyone else - I am looking at tires for my Focus RS and notice that TireRack sells several high performance tires that were all made in 2013, for instance some Yokohama AD08Rs and Continental ContiForceContacts. I am wondering how much, if any, performance drop-off that 4 year old tires might present?

My car is not track driven but it is driven hard. I have been very happy with the SportCup2s but they are really expensive so I am exploring options. In particular, I am looking at 255 and 265/30/19 tires (I have some 19x9s incoming).

I appreciate any input that the TMO tribe can provide! Thank you.

John

Last edited:
"They" say tire life is around 6 to 7 years before they start to deteriorate and dry rot creeps in. I don't know how true that is but it may be something to consider. There's a date on that tire for a reason...to either scare you or warn you.....tough call.........I had the original tires on my Boss for 6 yrs with no problem...obviously not tracking it.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Aging of tires has a lot to do with the way they are stored. Keep them out of the sun and you extend their life.
If the tires are not mounted and stored ina warehouse they are likely to have the best conditions and therefore not aged as if mounted and on the sun daily.

If the price point is right enough for you to take a small risk, go for it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I had a new/old set of slicks I tried to get mounted some years ago. No tire shop in town would mount them because they were 6 years old. What I was told is that after 6 years the rubber and cords get brittle and can fracture within the tire when stretched over the rim to get mounted. Made sense to me so I tossed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the replies, guys! Still kicking around a few options because my wheels won't be here for a few more weeks.

Rob - do you any thoughts on this?

Sorry to be so late, I was dealing with Irma and the runoffs, I apologize.
It's all in the storage, if they are kept in a cool dry place, they are probably OK. One thing to look for is that when stored they are "folded" into each other to take up less room, that leads up to the sidewalls cracking and I wouldn't use them, it's also not too good for the belts, I would avoid them if that's the case. Tire Rack seems to have some knowledgeable people, I'd ask them directly, they may make you a deal on them.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I just read an article that says 2 years max.
Think it was either on the Hoosier or BFG website.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
http://www.hoosiertire.com/images/content/files/TCTR7_A7.pdf

Service Life for Race Tires: Old tires can fail in use, causing loss of vehicle control and personal injury. Environmental conditions like temperature extremes, exposure to sunlight, electric arc, solvents, automotive fluids, and atmospheric pollutants accelerate the aging process. Hoosier Racing Tire strongly recommends that new (sticker) tires should be put in service within 2 years of date of purchase. Used (scuffed) tires have a shorter service life than new (sticker) tires. Poor storage and infrequent use accelerate the aging process.

Rob thank you very much for your opinion! I will definitely check with TR and see their thoughts. Good luck with all that you have on your plate!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel