The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie Question: is my kit causing damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, sorry in advance for the long post. Skip to the last couple paragraphs if you want the goods.

To set the stage here: I daily drive my 2012 Race Red/White Boss and don't have a garage (soon to change in about 2 months). I live in Oklahoma which basically translates to having every possible weather combination possible throughout the year. Right now, it's hot but we are having a rainy summer compared to normal.

My question is: will my current kit harm paint, rims, etc? Current car condition is pretty good with only a ding or two and light paint swirling.

Current Setup:
Armorall Wash and Wax Soap (know it's not the best but seems to work)
Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Wax (not the liquid)
2 buckets (no grit guards one for paint and one for wheels)
Mitt for washing paint
Sponge for washing rims/wheels
Tire brush (never use it though)
Armorall Tire Gel
Super absorb synthetic chamois for drying
Hose with regular water and a decent nozzle for different spray settings

I only full detail with Wax once a year and it seems to work (my last 07 GT was black and looked pretty new). Especially interested in the polish before you wax technique as I have some light paint swirling going on and want to minimize or even eliminate it. Just looking for advice on things to change or consider adding if you guys don't mind.

Thanks for reading! This is the best 302 forum on the web hands down!

Sincerely,
Mason

Other than the mit and the chamois (need more info to know), it's not harming the car (if the mit and chamois is harming, its only making more swirls). Not helping it either. You need a sealant in there to actually protect the paint. To make the sealant work its best, you need to prepare the surface with clay and cleaner wax.

If you are going so far as to do the right things to protect it, you might as well tackle those swirls with a polish and a polisher.

Tulsa, OK
OKCBossman said:
Hey guys, sorry in advance for the long post. Skip to the last couple paragraphs if you want the goods.

To set the stage here: I daily drive my 2012 Race Red/White Boss and don't have a garage (soon to change in about 2 months). I live in Oklahoma which basically translates to having every possible weather combination possible throughout the year. Right now, it's hot but we are having a rainy summer compared to normal.

My question is: will my current kit harm paint, rims, etc? Current car condition is pretty good with only a ding or two and light paint swirling.

Current Setup:
Armorall Wash and Wax Soap (know it's not the best but seems to work)
Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Wax (not the liquid)
2 buckets (no grit guards one for paint and one for wheels)
Mitt for washing paint
Sponge for washing rims/wheels
Tire brush (never use it though)
Armorall Tire Gel
Super absorb synthetic chamois for drying
Hose with regular water and a decent nozzle for different spray settings

I only full detail with Wax once a year and it seems to work (my last 07 GT was black and looked pretty new). Especially interested in the polish before you wax technique as I have some light paint swirling going on and want to minimize or even eliminate it. Just looking for advice on things to change or consider adding if you guys don't mind.

Thanks for reading! This is the best 302 forum on the web hands down!

Sincerely,
Mason

Welcome! I don't know much about detailing but saw that you were from OK. What part? I'm in the Tulsa area. Love the red/orange cars with white stripes...

I'd be more worried about a hail storm in your area than the towel and soaps I was using :p
But sounds like you take better care of your car than I do to mine. So keep it up and post some pictures!!

Tulsa, OK
F.D. Sako said:
I'd be more worried about a hail storm in your area than the towel and soaps I was using :p
But sounds like you take better care of your car than I do to mine. So keep it up and post some pictures!!

That is the truth!!

Mason, welcome to BMO. Post up some photos of your BOSS when you get a chance. You'll find tips on posting photos and videos in the link below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

cosm3os said:
Other than the mit and the chamois (need more info to know), it's not harming the car (if the mit and chamois is harming, its only making more swirls). Not helping it either. You need a sealant in there to actually protect the paint. To make the sealant work its best, you need to prepare the surface with clay and cleaner wax.

If you are going so far as to do the right things to protect it, you might as well tackle those swirls with a polish and a polisher.

Good advice! Will look into sealers. Thanks for the info!

roadhouse said:
Welcome! I don't know much about detailing but saw that you were from OK. What part? I'm in the Tulsa area. Love the red/orange cars with white stripes...

I'm actually from Tulsa! I live in OKC now but make it home about once a month. Excited for the next Shelby convention!

Welcome, first I've learned that you apply and remove the wax or sealant using no circle motions. Check the search section for Zaino, our guru here is Justin, check out the detailers section too.

For good how to info check out one of these sites, they all have videos.
adamspolishs.com
autogeek.net
search junkman on youtube

Everybody has their own preference on what product they like to use, but it is all about knowing the steps from strip washing and claying to polisihing, sealing, and topcoat be it a glaze or wax.

Ranger117 said:
Good to see another okie on the forums I'm from Idabel ok in the southeast. My daughter lives in Moore.

Nice! Never been to Idabel but heard of it! Lots of small towns in Okie land.

Moore is just down the road from me. Maybe I should meet her ;)

Tulsa, OK
OKCBossman said:
I'm actually from Tulsa! I live in OKC now but make it home about once a month. Excited for the next Shelby convention!

The Shelby meet is always a good time! I go to OKC occasionally and do the Sheriff's Track with the Oklahoma Mustang Club.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
FYI wax only last about 1-2 months tops. Sealants last 6-9 months. Nano sealants like 22ple or opticoat 2.0 last 2+ years. If you have to buy store bought car wash the meguiars gold class or the newer that comes yellow work well.

You are missing a key step. Clay bar the car every 6 months or at the very least once a year.

For sealant I like zaino or 22ple. Adams new sealant is very easy to apply but doesn't shine as good as zaino. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin said:
FYI wax only last about 1-2 months tops. Sealants last 6-9 months. Nano sealants like 22ple or opticoat 2.0 last 2+ years. If you have to buy store bought car wash the meguiars gold class or the newer that comes yellow work well.

You are missing a key step. Clay bar the car every 6 months or at the very least once a year.

For sealant I like zaino or 22ple. Adams new sealant is very easy to apply but doesn't shine as good as zaino. IMO

Good info. So I have clayed once in the past (my old GT) and understand that process fairly well. Never have sealed a car though. Does the below (high level) process make sense or am I missing stuff.

1. Handwash and dry the car
2. Clay bar
3. Seal
4. Wax

Also, are there any No No's? For instance, I know Wax and our black plastic trim do not go together. What about the stripe care? Mine are the 2012 ones. Should I claybar/seal/wax them as well or stay away from that? Same goes for the 10 spokes. Should I clay/seal/wax them? Any other things to watch out for would be much appreciated!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I put sealant on my stripes I have a 12 as well. 22ple makes a trim sealant as well. Vr1. I use there wheel sealant on the wheels.

Justin said:
I put sealant on my stripes I have a 12 as well. 22ple makes a trim sealant as well. Vr1. I use there wheel sealant on the wheels.

So I need to do the same sealer on my wheels, followed by wax? Basically treat the wheels like the paint?

Also, any sealers out there you guys like that don't cost 100 bucks for 20 ml? Just want something that lasts awhile and looks good/goes on easy.

Search for Rejex , it works great IMO. I wash, claybar, then apply Rejex to the paint, stripes and windows/glass. I also pull my wheels off once a year and wash and apply 2 coats of Rejex. You can apply wax over for a deeper shine, but the wax doesn't stick too well to Rejex. I also maintain with Chemical Guys V07 detail spray. Honestly though, my car is garage kept and never see's rain.... So it's probably overkill for me. But for a car that is kept outside you should really apply a sealant.

Most importantly it's like $14 for 14oz which last longer than wax and you use less. You can find it on Amazon pretty cheap.. I think the stuff was developed for airplanes.

Good luck.

Chris

As mentioned before, Junkman's videos on youtube are pretty good. The best thing to do for avoiding swirls is to always make sure your mitt is clean and have a good rinse before even touching it with the mitt. I use the two-bucket method and frequently rinse and inspect my mitt. I also replace them at least once/year or if it touches the ground. If anything touches the ground it automatically goes to wheel-only duty or becomes a shop rag.

-dedicated buckets with covers and grit guards
-every microfiber towel/mitt/pad in labeled sandwich bags (labeled for polish, wash, sealant, wax, etc).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel