The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OEM Front Calipers & Rotors replaced under warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, after 8 total track day sessions (Roebling, Sebring, Daytona) in my 2018 R, the front Brembo caliper boots were deformed as well as the front discs being cracked. This was all replaced under the 12 month brake warranty period. That's all well and good except for the fact that I fully expect the same thing to happen again, but will then be beyond the 12 month warranty period. Note am using Castrol SRF fluid and Raybestos ST45 pads on track.

I knew the drilled rotors would start to crack at some point but didn't expect the calipers to have problems with the rubber boots. They were probably most heat-stressed at two days at Sebring as Daytona is not as consistently hard on brakes.

Oh well, will continue to drive it on track like it was designed and engineered but fully expect to have to foot the bill the next time around. The brakes are one of the secrets of this car's success on track, but also clearly not up to repeated high heat sessions. Good quality but more of a 'contractor' grade product. Will probably look hard at the AP Racing set-up, although is quite pricey.
upload_2019-5-2_10-19-59.pngupload_2019-5-2_10-19-59.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nice find from Expired Bovine, and that tip could benefit you , though imagine part of your issue is that you are running tracks that are all high speed and are hard on rotors? Wonder if you might be able to get the Dealer to install the new slotted rotors from the 19 , as pretty obvious the drilled do not hold up and there is a reason they changed them?

Last edited:
DFW, TX
Pretty normal, it's still a street car. Rotors crack and dust boots melt when at the track. Titanium pad shims might help as well as true brake ducts. The AP calipers will not have dust shields.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I run the AP kit on my car. The increase in performance is astounding. I have over 20 hard trackdays and the discs are still going even with slicks.

On my par cars I use to swap boots, run ti shields etc. however if you track frequently this is what you want. The only reason I wouldn’t buy these is if you drive your car in snow frequently.

https://www.gt350brakes.com/product/essex-designed-15-gt350-ap-racing-big-brake-kit

Yep, I'm leaning towards the AP kit for the fronts. May wait until the warranty replaced fronts give out again. Did you just do the fronts and keep rears oem? Which pads did you go with? I'm currently using ST-45 up front and stock in rear. Also using the CF wheels and SC2's.
Am at Road Atlanta 6/22 & 23 so may be needing to upgrade sooner than later.

Yep, I'm leaning towards the AP kit for the fronts. May wait until the warranty replaced fronts give out again. Did you just do the fronts and keep rears oem? Which pads did you go with? I'm currently using ST-45 up front and stock in rear. Also using the CF wheels and SC2's.
Am at Road Atlanta 6/22 & 23 so may be needing to upgrade sooner than later.
I use oem out back. I haven’t had a reason to replace them. The discs and boots are fine. Also there isn’t much of a weight savings to be had on the rears.

I run the Ferodo DSUNOs which are options on that website. They work extremely well and then I run the same on the rear pads. I also have a set of DS2500 street pads for the front and rear when I do take it out.

There isn’t one thing bad that I can say about them, they inspire a lot of confidence.

TMO Supporting Vendors