The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ooops! did it again.... RIP Coyote....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That's what I thought. My 14 isn't equipped with them either.

I was wrong on the '14s. Or at least for some of them.

I find that hard to believe.

It's just math...

The difference between third and fourth in the MT82 is 1.28

Downshifting increases RPMs by exactly that much. The table above should be clear proof.

ny
math is 1 thing. actually driving and shifting. which i did. those were the rpm increases i saw.
granted differant motor and trans. i also run tall gear. i do use the od gears. 142mph 5th gear back straight at the glen.and thats like 5400 rpm . cant get it to 6th.
yes down shifting that part get hairy in traffic.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang Mad, been a tough two years, and hopefully once redone again, the quest for speed will continue as before --- Poster Boy for Mustang Racing in Chile!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks Wild Bill!

Hmm... I see that the Manley rod and piston setup has the spirolock pinion clips.. And they give 11:1 on the 57cc gen1 chambers...

To bad the rods are 20grams heavier then the K1 rods... Hard to buy a single Rod. Sent emails to all the K1 vendors I could find, looking for a single K1 Rod. (have 7 good ones.. and one thats a little bent :(). looks like they are on back order.

Does any one know of a succesful 2012 to 2014 swap to a 2018+ Manifold??? I know that Shaun is not a fan for the gen1 setup

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I know that Shaun is not a fan for the gen1 setup

What is Shaun's specific issue with that? I'm just guessing that the Boss heads or Gen2 heads would be better than the Gen1 heads. And you're already running Boss heads.

I upgraded my 2014 GT with the L&M intake cams, production Boss 302 exhaust cams, Boss 302 springs and a ported 2018 manifold.

My HP has been extended and almost steady to 7300 rpm and only falling about 25hp to 7600. But I'm still working with my tuner to dial it in based on some datalogs. I can probably use some more spark advance overall. But my particular concern was a slight dip in hp and a somewhat bigger dip in torque under 4500.

Grant 302

Sadly, oil squirters don't fit with many after market rods and pistons.

I think Diamond might make one that fits squirters.

But maybe there are other reasons that the 2011s seem to have decent longevity. Terry's, Steve/Chris', badger...

Aside from the internet over blown #8 issue that mostly affected drag racers (IMO)...these seem to have held up well for road racers.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
One of my beloved boss heads has a easy to see curve in it:(:(..... So bought a good gen1 and we are going to port it and increase to gen2 intake valves and Boss exhaust valves.

Shaun was very negative about the 2018 manifold on a gen1, he told me that I would be better off with the Boss manifold, but I do not have a specific reason why... In the end what HP/torque did you get with it?? I will have the LM cams as well. He is a big fan on the Cobrajet though.... but I think I spent/will spend all my free cash with this incident.

For the money the 2018 manifold sounds like a great option. Very keen to see how you do with it.

Grant, yes I saw that the Diamond piston had the squirter slot... tempting! I have a set we could not use with the Wiseco pistons

Grant 302

I didn't see how the head could survive what was visible with the cylinder damage pic...or the loose piston.

By Gen1 replacement...you got a bare Boss casting?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
By Gen 1, I mean a 2014 (I think) engine pulled out of a wrecked Mustang (they have Cars & Coffee down here as wello_O). It was a long block... manifold had already been sold. The Engine is all std inside and looks like it had a peaceful life.

But the heads are not as nice as the boss heads... But we have the model and will look for improvements on the flow bench.

Thanks Wild Bill!

Hmm... I see that the Manley rod and piston setup has the spirolock pinion clips.. And they give 11:1 on the 57cc gen1 chambers...

To bad the rods are 20grams heavier then the K1 rods... Hard to buy a single Rod. Sent emails to all the K1 vendors I could find, looking for a single K1 Rod. (have 7 good ones.. and one thats a little bent :(). looks like they are on back order.

Does any one know of a succesful 2012 to 2014 swap to a 2018+ Manifold??? I know that Shaun is not a fan for the gen1 setup
There are a couple of individual rods offered on ebay. (part #011an17593S)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks! I looked several time, but only found sets.

Ahh, see several now.

The S at the end of the part number really helped!!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I found these... FMS-M-6500-M50R Lash adjusters from the GT350 are coyote compatible it seems.

"Oriented towards racing applications, these lash adjusters offer an upgrade over the stock lash adjusters by adding a small internal oil reservoir. This reservoir provides extra oil capacity within the adjuster in the event that the oiling system collects air during severe vehicle dynamics."

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Also trying to sell my Boss manifold with 84.5 TB etc to a friend. Would make getting the Cobra jet setup a little easier on the wallet. Then I would lower my cutoff to 7750 rpm o_O.

I understand Terry's point about torque and running at lower rpm like his Big Red project car. But... I feel that running against the clock is a little different then Wheel to wheel. Watching @ajaquilante and @ArizonaBOSS videos you can see that they frequently go above 7750 on acceleration.. (Yes, I will work on the down shifts Grant!! Installing the autoblip before next race to give a hand..)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cool, did you change your followers as well?? Coz, what was the Dyno numbers you got with your set up now??

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Matthew,

Here is my chart. A few caveats are in order:

1. The dyno sessions were done on an older Dynojet (model # unknown) and they may be low. I only say this because my best 1/4-mile time (with the tune represented by the orange line) was 12.339 @ 111mph at a DA of about 400. With a weight of 3935 (including me and about a 1/4 tank of gas) the horsepower charts say I'm doing a bit more than 350 rwhp.

2. All the four of the sessions were done on different days.

3. This is a 6R80 and not an MT82 so % loss to rear wheels is probably higher.

4. My intial tune reflecting my L&M intake cams, Boss 302 exhaust cams, ported 2018 manifold, and Kooks shorty headers is reflected by the bold red line. With some subsequent datalogs from the dragstrip, we found out that my torque converter was never locking up (constant 1020 on the Torque Converter Desired Slip). My tuner noticed it and said he had never seen that before. However, he has seen other tune parameters suddenly "not take" in tune revisions. He said that was typically after some software revisions by Derive/SCT where they update or fix something but break something else. He fixed it and said he had to rebuild the tune using the latest software revision. I datalogged with his latest tune and confirmed that the TC locks up. However I have not taken it back to the dyno.

5. On my latest tune where I did some datalogs at WOT on a highway in Mexico, the lambse at WOT was .82 and the Short Term Fuel Trims were between .95 and 1.05. Knock Sensors were between -1.5 and -3.5.

6. Red Line= Initial Tune after cams, manifold, headers 93 Octane
Blue Line = Factory Tune 93 Octane
Green Line = Bama 93 Octane Race Tune
Orange Line = Current tuner's tune before engine mods - 93 Octane

As you can see the powerband was nicely extended to the right but there are some significant gaps in HP and especially Torque in the mid range. We are working to close that gap. If I can't get this resolved I will go to Shaun at AED for at least the street tune. The problem is that Shaun told me he won't do a road course tune for an automatic.
Dynochart.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors