The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ooops! did it again.... RIP Coyote....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will probably do the same. About the MAF, you can see how a Long tube header really helps out. My last log in November was with MAF just over 49 lbs/min. Am very curious to see how the ported gen1 head does.

Shaun at AED can be very picky about tunes. He would not tune my car for about 2 years because of some funny logs that we discussed here on TMO

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I'll have to check but I believe it was about 40 lb/min if I did the conversion correctly. I mistakenly logged it in that pesty metric system... ;-)

My last log in November was with MAF just over 49 lbs/min.

I looked it up and I logged MAF Flow in LiveWire in g/s and it showed 32241 g/s @ 9.43Hz @ 7563rpm.

But it doesn't make sense since all the conversion tables I've used result in a conversion of 4265 lb/min.

42.65 lb/min would make more sense but I can't see any decimal point issue that would cause it to be off by a factor of 100.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will probably be getting two new Wiseco pistons ($$ is the main reason)... Am a bit worried about the specs.. they are rated as +2cc dome and they say that gives you a 11:1 compression, but I calculate more like 10.7:1.... Would I be ok using a Cometic 0.03" head gasket instead of a stock 0.04? Just to edge me up to 11:1.... or is it not worth the bother...

Dam,, edited again.. forgot the gen1 head volume is 57 cc

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, following in the foot steps of our fasted TMO cars..... Sold my Boss/accufab/Airaid setup to a friend and just got the Cobrajet manifold, JLT 110mm CAI and VMP 67mm TB.... That should help a bit!!

Main reason for the change was that Shaun (AED) mentioned that the ported head would probably get held back by the boss manifold. Hopefully I can get to the same HP as Drew.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Also trying to sell my Boss manifold with 84.5 TB etc to a friend. Would make getting the Cobra jet setup a little easier on the wallet. Then I would lower my cutoff to 7750 rpm o_O.

I understand Terry's point about torque and running at lower rpm like his Big Red project car. But... I feel that running against the clock is a little different then Wheel to wheel. Watching @ajaquilante and @ArizonaBOSS videos you can see that they frequently go above 7750 on acceleration.. (Yes, I will work on the down shifts Grant!! Installing the autoblip before next race to give a hand..)

The main thing I agree with Terry on...is the mechanical over-rev from the downshifts initiated too early. Watch AJ’s rev marker on the downshifts in the Sonoma video. On the high side I only see about 7,500 tagged after the shift. That means his downshifts are initiated under 6k. Many of yours are definitely initiated well over 6k.

Not sure the Autoblip would help you considering the problem there. Might make it worse...

I am not talking about the revs under acceleration.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The main thing I agree with Terry on...is the mechanical over-rev from the downshifts initiated too early. Watch AJ’s rev marker on the downshifts in the Sonoma video. On the high side I only see about 7,500 tagged after the shift. That means his downshifts are initiated under 6k. Many of yours are definitely initiated well over 6k.

Not sure the Autoblip would help you considering the problem there. Might make it worse...

I am not talking about the revs under acceleration.

Yes was re-watching the videos.. with the autoblip should be better as I can downshift while braking later on the entrance to the curve at a lower rpm... Now I tend to shift then brake which is not so great:confused:. (my heal/toe sucks) Will set my sites on 7750rpm max under power and 7500 max on down shifts. Basically have been blipping and then braking...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Checked the combustion chamber size of the gen 1 with boss exhaust vlaves and Gen 2 intake valves... Very happy that its just a tad over 55 cc instead of the 57cc stock. The little gen1 valves are much more dished then the Boss or Gen2 valves, so I guess that's where the extra 2cc came from. That means I should be at 11.3:1 with the stock head gasket.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Now fully admitting that I boob a lot on my downshifts... But, AJ hits 8000 rpm on downshifts as well.. 0.59 on the sonoma video... But I am not him LOL! Though he is my role model:), Aim high or go home!!!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Now fully admitting that I boob a lot on my downshifts... But, AJ hits 8000 rpm on downshifts as well.. 0.59 on the sonoma video... But I am not him LOL! Though he is my role model:), Aim high or go home!!!
You’re right, he does do it there. Going 4-3-2 isn’t easy. And it might be somewhat unavoidable without a change in final drive ratio or shifting further/deeper into the turn.

And if the Autoblip is going to help you brake *then* shift...I suppose it’s the right thing to do. At least for now.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This old dog seems very slow at learning new tricks... In the excitment of racing all the heal/toe practice goes out the window for me.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Then don’t wait on the AutoBlip. Brake first then Clutch and shift with the blip.

I tend to brake right deep into the corner... but I get what you mean. I really would like to get some where near the engine life that my Boss engine had.

The Gen1 engine I bought seems to be in tip top condition. Looks like it had about 20,000km before it has its end as a car and has been sitting in a shop for a while. Looks like I can use the rollers and lash adjusters as they seem fine... But part of me does not want to risk anything so as no to be here again.... Boy! These engine builds can get expensive!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel