The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Please Welcome MGW Shifters As A TMO Vendor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Please Welcome MGW Shifters As A BMO Vendor

MGW said:
But its looking like roughly this...

Whole shifter complete 475-495

George

I just ordered! Looks like the Rear gold bracket was not included in this and I was told another $45 to make complete. Not sure if that was as intended?

A question for all those in the know . . . George mentioned in his post:

"its actually pretty easy i can actually install one from scratch in about an hour with a lift. you do have to remove the trans cross brace so you can lower the trans and reach up in there to get 2 the 2 bolts up top. one disconnects the linkage arm and the other removes that bent support side arm. thats it. then remove the rear bushing bracket and the factory shifter is out.

Can you just lower the transmission by just removing the cross brace? Or can you lower it enough to get to the top bolts? Having been under my car for an hour or so installing the 2014 version of the MGW shifter housing not sure this can be done on ramps in your garage. Seems like to drop the trans you would need to unbolt from the engine and slide it back and off the clutch. Maybe I'm missing something though.

The new design looks very robust and I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and order it. The install might be beyond what I can do in the garage though and might have to have the local shop do it.

What say the experts here??

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

I suspect you would need to remove the trans mount and leave the engine mounts in place. Then lower the engine and trans together allowing access to the top of the trans.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

When you remove the trans cross brace it will allow the transmission to flex down in the rear about 2 inches or so…this should give you enough room on top. It flexes down because the motor/trans mounts are rubber and not rigid. Hope that makes sense

Adam

Thanks Adam that does make sense. I'll wait to hear how the first sets go with some you that track your cars.

Flyboygsxr said:
When you remove the trans cross brace it will allow the transmission to flex down in the rear about 2 inches or so…this should give you enough room on top. It flexes down because the motor/trans mounts are rubber and not rigid. Hope that makes sense

Adam

George,

Does the new shifter rod work with the Gen 1 and Gen 2 MGW. I am only wondering because the MGW/BF combo (or just the MGW for that matter) seems to work great for most but the stock shifter rod still seems a week point.

@MGW George posted this on his FB page and I thought it was worthy of posting here.

OK....So this Friday i had scheduled an editorial install feature with Keith Keplinger and Liz Hensley at my shop on a 2015 Mustang 50th anniversary GT, on our new compact Race Spec.

While we were removing the OEM unit i was talking with Keith, about the reasons behind the new design and the unique features of all our race spec shifters. One thing that came up , which was debated last week, was the need for a machined linkage rod over the reusing of the stock one. One of the deciding factors was the issue with weld slag on the OEM rod and the rough finish which was eroding away the internal bushings. Well, while i was talking we pulled apart the factory unit and i handed it to him and holy crap it was one of the WORST i had seen. It was COVERED in small weld splatter.

I tagged the 2 of them and hopefully they will chime in to comment as i do not want anyone to think this was some staged or exaggerated claim.

This just re issues my philosophy of controlling EVERY piece of the unit by not reusing the OEM components . After several 1000 cycles of this rod in either the factory bushings or aftermarket ones , they would be absolute toast!!!

12314191_1495239134105818_5943085266925620046_o.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors