The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Questions for the DIY alignment gurus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
IF GROUND IS NOT LEVEL: Before checking camber remove AccuLevel™ and place on ground parallel to axle centerline. If it does not read 0.0° push “ZERO”. Replace AccuLevel™ in gauge and proceed as above. This must be done on each side of the car and will compensate for non-level ground. Push “ZERO” again to go back to normal (absolute) operation.

This is what I'm using for an instruction. Taken right from the instructions. If this isn't correct, why did they put this in the instructions?

Based on your reply, you are saying the instructions as stated above aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Non-level is not exactly the same thing as "flat with a slope". Localized out-of-flatness would basically tell lies to the AccuLevel, and different setup areas would tell different lies.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the AccuLevel, including things like how fussy or easily repeatable its setup procedure might be. Things like that remove. zero, and replace sequence in particular. How much camber "shift" have you noticed, and how do those changes compare to the scale's 1/4° resolution?

As far as I know, camber is the angle between the plane of the wheel and a line drawn perpendicular to the ground assuming that the ground is both flat and level. After all, the ultimate object of a performance camber alignment is to put the tire at whatever inclination relative to the contact patch plane proves to be optimal for maximum grip, or is desired in order to obtain a particular handling balance.

Inclination of the wheel plane relative to the chassis while driving is really just a consequence of suspension stiffness in ride and roll. Ford and other mfrs do tie alignment to the stock ride heights, but that's only a reference for putting factory-preferred camber (and camber gain, at least theoretically) where they designed their stock ride height car to have them.

Norm

This will always be my favorite way of measuring toe at the track..use 2 plates and this home made gauge, no remembering the measurements and you can visually see the difference.

hardware store parts
FC6T0Hgl.png

drill a hole for the screw and weld the nut to the big tube
vzwvwOCl.png

Slide the rod into the tube
HZ5ntpal.png

the completed toe gauge
NT1nOBxl.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel