The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Retaining OEM seat buckle w/ racing seats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Did any of you with aftermarket seats (specifically fixed back seats) also happen to retain the stock 3pt belts?

I’m trying to use the Schroth quickfit pro which reuse the stock receptors. But the bracket the buckle is on is too long and needs to be either shortened or mounted way down low in order to route the seat belt through the seat’s side pass through.

Wondering if anyone else has run the OEM 3pt belts & buckles with a fixed back seat? If so, what did you do?

BD36BE74-F0C6-423D-BD27-D5534345503D.jpeg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I haven't a solution, but I think I am likely going to be facing this issue next spring. I am going to go with fixed back racing seats and 5 or 6 point belts which are way cheaper than the Schroth quickfit I currently have and are widely available. That requires a harness bar or 4 point rollbar, the latter may not be a bad idea anyway given the lap times this car does these days. Food for thought?

B942597F-6FA7-439D-B4B8-4540436D37E2.jpeg
Making things interesting, the passenger and drivers side buckle brackets are unequal lengths.

My first inclination is just to drill a hole right in the middle of this bracket to shorten it up and effectively make it the right length.

anyone else travelled this road before and have another suggestion?

Gab

Bullitthead
I have a Corbeau FX-1 seat, and I’ve retained the factory seatbelt. I use a CG Lock to get the belt cinched down, and I’ve had no problems.

I seem to recall Vorshlag kept the OEM drivers side belt with a fixed-back seat in one is their project cars; I believe they routed the lap belt through the the pass-through in the seat. I didn’t do this with the FX-1, however - the pass-through is too low on this seat.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I've got both driver passenger Corbeau fixed back seats in my car. i've retained the seatbelts on both seats for daily use and use a 6 point harness on both seats for track use, bolted down onto the lower seat brackets and into the rear seatbelt mounting holes in the back. It doesn't require drilling or modifying your OEM seatbelt (which isn't legal, or safe...) and let's you use your 3 point seatblet as usual when driving on the road.

Yotah1 good recommendation. The passenger and drivers sides being different lengths threw me for a loop, but got it on the seat bracket and it works well on both.

Though I’m still getting an airbag blinking lamp on the dash. (I tried really, really hard not to get one!!)

I had the fuse (2.17) out and depowered the srs before hand as per the manual says to.

I installed the 2ohm resisters I got from LMR and moved the passenger seat bladder over (and confirmed that it works).

and I moved the seat position sensor over on the drivers seat.

I routed the passenger seat belt thru the seat’s side pass through (which required disconnecting and reconnecting the pretensioner wire). So maybe I didn’t plug it all the way back in or something?

In any event, the light is blinking, so I imagine I have a trip to the good old dealer in my future.

Must have missed something!

I've got both driver passenger Corbeau fixed back seats in my car. i've retained the seatbelts on both seats for daily use and use a 6 point harness on both seats for track use, bolted down onto the lower seat brackets and into the rear seatbelt mounting holes in the back. It doesn't require drilling or modifying your OEM seatbelt (which isn't legal, or safe...) and let's you use your 3 point seatblet as usual when driving on the road.

Bringing this one up from the dead. I'm curious if you have any pics of your 6pt belt mounting? Would love to see how you did it while retaining the 3pt. Thanks!

MD
Planted seat mounts have a tab for the OE female buckle end. The tab is just to the left of the thread locker in the pic below. The seat belt would need to be temporarily removed from the B pillar to thread it through the hip hole of the fixed back seat.

I didn't reinstall the female end of the buckle and do not use the OE seat belt. The belts are anchored to the floor with eyebolts and threaded into plates under the car; had to drill holes.

1616084193470.png

Planted seat mounts have a tab for the OE female buckle end. The tab is just to the left of the thread locker in the pic below. The seat belt would need to be temporarily removed from the B pillar to thread it through the hip hole of the fixed back seat.

I didn't reinstall the female end of the buckle and do not use the OE seat belt. The belts are anchored to the floor with eyebolts and threaded into plates under the car; had to drill holes.

View attachment 63581
Do you have any pictures of your eye bolt and backing plate positions? I’m installing a six point with the same seat and bracket you have. Thanks.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Bringing this one up from the dead. I'm curious if you have any pics of your 6pt belt mounting? Would love to see how you did it while retaining the 3pt. Thanks!
61153063_10218941131452849_7109169549265600512_n.jpg

That should show you what I did. I started with Corbeau's seat mounts which already have the bracket for the belt buckel. I added a brace through the middle of the mount to add both eyelets for the 5-6 points of the harness. I also added a small bracket for the seat position sensor that tells the car how far forward / back you're seated and adjusts the airbag deployment speed / power.

TMO Supporting Vendors