The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 rear shock to strut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking for clarity. The oem rear suspension uses a rear shock but the Cortex coilover converts this to a coilover strut, my question is..... is the upper shock to body mounting location strong enough to support the load carrying of the spring? This mounting spot previously only carried the forces of the shock and didn't have to hold the car's weight. Just curious, I'm no engineer, wanted to make sure this isn't an overlooked area

My understanding is yes. This was the same on the S197 chassis. There is a mounting plate that helps distribute the load.

Hello,

I asked a similar question during my research and Filip afforded me with complete confidence to make the change. And I run my 2016 GT on the street more than the track, have 4 months on the set up thus far without any issues. The change transforms the cars handling and it is more composed.

This is interesting. I was looking at getting coil overs and the Tech guy at Steeda told me their race team will not run a coil over in the rear due to the amount of flex in that top rear mount. He was quite convincing to me, so I went with a Steeda new front adjustable coil over and rear adjustable shock with an adjustable ride height spring on the rear.
I'm not experienced enough to know what is really better than another. (I'm getting there) But I do know this setup was much better than stock.
So now it appears once again I'll be doing some research and upgrading this winter.
Mike
car name= Money pit.

I ran a full Grigg's package on my previous Mustang and that included rear coil overs. I did have a custom tig welded roll bar in that car. And the installer plated the stock shock towers and the rear brace bars for the roll bar ran directly to those plates. It was a pretty significant amount of work and incredibly strong. I do not have inside information or know for certain, but I would surmise that the race cars being fully caged and braced have, "no worries" in that area.

I will be removing my rear seat and having a roll bar installed in my GT late this year. But to date I have not seen anything that gives me concern about the structural integrity. Granted, I am talking about sitting on my rolling chair and 'eyeballing' the wheel well area. So, there is nothing scientific about my observations.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

TMO Supporting Vendors