The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

She Needs a Little Love

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
That's my dilemma. I can't decide if I want to cross the line from track day toy that can be converted back to stock or track-only race car. I like the idea of a street car that can run hard vs optimizing the car fully for track speed. At the end of the day I get frustrated when the car doesn't run like I feel it can. I know it's heavy so I'm really dying to get all that street car material out. I am going to sit down with the guys at Phoenix soon and need a plan......and likely a bigger check.

I have a bit of insight into this. The path I chose with the new engine makes mine not really street-capable anymore. There are definitely times when I miss having a street capable car. It was fun to tool around town and make noise like a 16 year old, get a chance to feel the V8 roar for less than the cost a track weekend, and even test drive it to make sure I did the mods right. However, I can tell you that my car is more fun on track now than any other car I've ever driven. It's rowdy, makes *most* of the right noises (still missing the sound of straight cut gears), is a serious weapon, and just laughs at stupid amounts of punishment.

There's a serious satisfaction one gets from being able to go out for 40+ mins and run a car as hard as you possibly can knowing you won't be overheating it/breaking things and that your fastest lap time will likely come in the last couple of laps. That satisfaction makes all the cost, headache, missed-street driving worth it (for me at least).

The only thing left for me to cross the line is a dedicated roll cage and removing the interior. It's not a big leap but, as honeybadger said, it will remove any chance of going back to the street. I know the smart move, like blacksheep and others have told me, is to buy a dedicated race car. But it's too late. I've got way too much invested in the Boss and I really enjoy it. Plus I doubt I will have the time and funds to go wheel to wheel racing. So I don't need a dedicated racer. The Boss is staying with me.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I found the LM cams to be a great upgrade. Uses the stock valve springs etc. Though would put new ones in.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The only thing left for me to cross the line is a dedicated roll cage and removing the interior. It's not a big leap but, as honeybadger said, it will remove any chance of going back to the street. I know the smart move, like blacksheep and others have told me, is to buy a dedicated race car. But it's too late. I've got way too much invested in the Boss and I really enjoy it. Plus I doubt I will have the time and funds to go wheel to wheel racing. So I don't need a dedicated racer. The Boss is staying with me.

Same thoughts here. I have no plans to have a dedicated racer. I want a street car(s) which can be taken to a track event and enjoyed. I am Too competitive to get into W2W and stay within a reasonable budget. If I win the lottery, ignore all above. LOL :D

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Boundary has the crank sprocket and gears for a kewl $300. Might as well change out the sprocket too. Do I sound like Grant?

I have a set laying around I plan on changing out someday too. Here's where I got mine from.

https://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/opgsprockcombo.html

TMO Supporting Vendors