The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shiny areas in hood stripe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys. My 2013 boss came with some weird dark areas in the hood stripe. They are only visible when looked at at the right angle. They are shiny compared to the rest of the stripe. I think the previous owner might have tried to polish some areas or rubbed to hard on them. Is there any way to get the areas back to matte? I've tried alcohol and dish soap to see if it was wax. It helps a bit but the spots are still there.

I had something similar in small patches. They all went away once claybarred, sealed with a buffer and fine pad. Not sure if yours is something similar, but try claybaring with a quick detailer.

The poor man version has reflective stripes as well, just not grey :p

If the stain is etched in the vinyl pretty well, then I don't know of any chemicals out there that are strong enough, but won't damage the vinyl.

Thanks for the replies guys. Clay bar didnt work completely but did tone it down a bit. Ill learn to live with it. Love marks I guess you can call them now.

TMO Supporting Vendors