The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sim Racing Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
Thanks -It was my project this past winter. I put in New floors, drywall and lighting. I still have not put the baseboard trim up. Was planning to do it this summer while hot outside but have not gotten to it quite yet. Wife keeps bitching about it but it's functional at least. It's nice and cold down there!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

US
Guess what arrived a day early!!! Which is perfect since I only work til noon on Thursdays.
Unfortunately, now that i have pulled the boss seat of of storage- I realize this aint gonna be easy to use due to the factory seat bracket design. I'm definitely gonna have to fire up the welder and go buy some square tube from home depot and make an adapter. Isn't gonna be real pretty but I can make it functional.
I'll use a damn folding chair for now if I have to !eb338b13f0cc5bdc517c82577a70ef28.jpg41dfc373ee80d12ae4fb269b992e7c57.jpgaff83ab1022464472a9ec17359fc181a.jpge32c3fe6c9c7ba3dc4a0bb7fe2a14857.jpgeaae9b25e6edb3ae1931e8de58524de8.jpg

US
Well I finally got the damn sensors temporarily mounted off the ceiling. Fired up iRacing and 1st lap- so nauseous. Omg. Not good at all. Watkibg Glen, over a blind hill- not good at all. Had to shut it down after 2 laps. I now have a headach and oddly, chest pain. I think the vagus nerve was super stimulated and that can really mess with your heart . it's super realistic in VR, but not actually feeling the G's and other physical motion definitely not working for me. Im gonna have to look at some settings and I guess just ease the hell into this. I have 3 monitors so im gonna have to find a way to use them for now. I have played many games in VR but this is my first driving one. Never been sick like this til now. If I scroll around Google earth for more than about 30 minutes it starts to get me but I swear this was 2 laps and after half a lap I should have stopped.

Side question- on the club sport steerubg wheel, there is a buckle type lock that you run a bolt through to lock the wheel on. No way in he'll the factory bolt is long enough to get thru the nickel and into the steering shaft- unless im doing it wrong. Anyone have experience with this locking system ?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There are a few guides on youtube as to how to best set up your iRacing stuff for VR. For me, the only time I get any nauseous feeling is when I am "reversing" in VR. That seems to mess with me.

Regarding the steering wheel...didn't have any issues with mine and the wheel hasn't ripped off yet. I can send a photo later tonight of how far mine is tightened down.

US
I changed some settings so the horizon doesn't move vs the fixed, in car camera. I have not tried it yet as I was still not up to playing yet. Saturday, I'll give it another try.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Great thread and information. I am interested in iRacing with a VR headset. Being completely new to sim racing and having no equipment I am looking for advice.

I saw a few ‘complete’ rigs but do not know who is known for quality v. price gouging. This website appears helpful.

https://www.roadtovr.com/vr-sim-racing-best-hardware-oculus-rift-htc-vive-four-kits-budget/#pro

Is the equipment listed under ‘Pro’ of good quality? Any recommendations from experience?

One area that is not addressed is the processor/CPU itself. Knowing little to nothing about computers. Would I be safe buying a new gaming rig from Alienware or would something more bespoke be required?

Thanks!

The "pro" equipment is very nice (though I'd buy a round wheel and not the formula style wheel they list) Even the enthusiast stuff on that link is really pretty good equipment. Pedals are a LOT more important the wheel, in my opinion.

I'm cheap and I run an old G27 wheel, but I bought Fanatec V3 inverted pedals on sale. The pedals were a huge gain in confidence and consistency.

Almost any of the "VR Ready" computers will be good to go. I would highly suggest trying VR for a while before you commit to owning it. Some folks are very sensitive to it and get motion sick.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
@DocWalt ; great advice. Are you aware of any retailers or options for trial before purchase? I have had some motion issues with simulated movement in the past so that is a valid concern. The local Denver Microsoft store has a VR setup but it is standing-only and for games like Minecraft and putt-putt based on the mirrored image. That would not be very useful in this instance.

I did a quick search and this place looks like half decent shot at trying out a VR simulator: Kaboom Virtual Reality Arcade

I find most sim racing stuff to be OK for me, but flight sims are a HARD pass. I get sick really quickly.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Never done VR, so I don't know, but wouldn't having that thing on your face be kind of annoying? You don't wear anything like that when driving so I would expect it to be odd? I feel like sitting in front of a bank of monitors is more like what I see out of the windshield when I'm driving. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I did a quick search and this place looks like half decent shot at trying out a VR simulator: Kaboom Virtual Reality Arcade

I find most sim racing stuff to be OK for me, but flight sims are a HARD pass. I get sick really quickly.

Many thanks! This appears perfect to see how I handle the simulation.

As a note to JDee I have used the monitor banks on MANY occasions and it is far better than a single monitor but still does not provide an immersive experience. From the limited time I have had in a VR headset (when they’re balanced correctly) it feels like you’re wearing a helmet which to me would be very appropriate for racing simulations.

However, if I get motion sick in my trial process mentioned above I will certainly return to the bank of monitors as it better than nothing

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I could see if it was made as a helmet that would work well, that never occurred to me. I wonder why they don't do that, it would make good sense. Maybe the racing market is too small a slice of the overall gaming picture.

On another note, I've bought several gaming rigs over the years from NewEgg, they carry many different brands and price wise they are very good. As long as you know the hardware you need it can be very cost effective way to go, you basically can get a machine on the level of a custom built clone from your local computer guru dude for a lot less money than it'd cost to have it built locally.

I've driven in VR for ~8 hours in one day before (team endurance race in iRacing) and besides being ridiculously sweaty, it worked well. Mine is adjusted fairly loose so it's not putting much pressure on my face or head.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO

I was able to try out Project Cars 2 in a VR rig at Kaboom and it was great. The rig was bare-bones, but no issues with motion sickness although it does take a bit to get used to the lack of g's and movement when everything else is moving. It was also nice that PC2 has a Boss 302R as an option so it was as close to real as I likely can get. I hope to be purchasing a rig in the coming months.

Thank you all for your insights and to DocWalt for the recommendation.

One last question, are there any specific VR gaming desktops that you all would recommend? I do not need any bloatware as I will only use the system for VR racing and I would assume an Alienware purchase or the like would have lots of inclusions.

Thanks again!

TMO Supporting Vendors