The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Simple guide to changing springs on JRi Cortex Coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My new springs should arrive soon and I am sure its not going to be the last time I swap rates.

Here is a response I got back from Filip on how to swap out the old and install the new springs on JRi-Cortex setup. I'm still foggy on the fronts even after reading this :eek:. Hope this helps if you have any more detail on the fronts to share please do!

From Filip

"You can remove the springs from the struts by holding the large 15/16" nut while using a 6-point (don't use a 12 point socket), 1/2" socket to turn the shaft to loosen the large nut. You will be turning the shaft clockwise to loosen it (since that is the same as tuning the large nut counter clockwise for loosening). Make sure to use the 6-point socket so you don't mess up the 1/2" hex since it will be pretty tight.

Removing the springs on the rear shocks is very simple and does not require any tools. Just move the spring coil away up the body of the shock until there is no tension on the spring and then push on the lower spring seat (the fixed position one on the shaft side) with in the direction of the spring and it will pop off. Under the seat there will be a wire clip that you can remove by hand. Once the clip is removed you can slide the spring seat and also the spring off the shock. Reassemble in the reverse order."

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I guess that's after removing the adjuster via the set screw. Otherwise it seems just like disassembling any other strut. Just different hardware sizes?

Okay, I have now done this from start to finish..

Front:

1 .Jack up car
2. Remove the wheel
3. Remove the brake duct tubes if you have them
4. unbolt the brake lines and pull out the speed sensor cable
5. loosen the main huge lower strut bolts
6. remove the 5 upper bolts off your Camber plates then remove the lower bolts all the way and pull out the strut.
7. To swap front springs:
8. back off the adjuster all the way so the seat falls and expose the flats on the main shock shaft.
9. use a 15/16 wrench on the big nut in the stack and loosen it up while holding the shock shaft.
10. Make sure to use the 8" free height coils and a helper spring kit.
11. Unscrew the main nut and pull off the top spring perch hardware, then the spring slides right off, swap, reverse steps.

I had to use a spring compressor to get that 10" long coil installed.

to swap rear springs:

1. Jack up car by center pig
2. put two stands on side jack points near front of wheel well opening
3. drop rear end so it hangs right at the shock rebound height
4. unscrew the top and bottom shock mounts using a 19mm socket (deep well not needed) and 19mm wrench
5. back off the spring adjuster all the way and the lower seat will fall down - while this is out of the way remove the little round clip from the inner spring seat, it comes off by hand.
6. the inner seat will slide off, then the outer seat and spring slide right off.. you can and should use a 10" spring in the rear - but make sure to use a helper spring either way.
7. reverse steps with the new spring.

when adjusting the front or rear spring collars to set ride height you have to jack up that corner to get the weight off of it. else it wont move.. and you don't need much force on the Allen key locking grub screw.

Thanks Jeff, I might be using this info in the near future.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel