The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Starter heatsoak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
Is there a heatsoak solution for S550 starter motors? My problem is after a race we go into impound and car is turn off. Then we are released in 10mins and the heatsoak prevents starter from turning over. It cools in time and car starts fine. Whole car is new racecar build from 2019 gt with a couple 100 miles.

I have used the DEI starter blanket and that helps, if you have LT headers they usually are way too close to the starter and transfer a lot of heat.

The best thing you can do is not shut the car off right away, let the engine idle and that will cool the exhaust by keeping air moving inside the exhaust. Let it idle for 5 min or so than shut it down, that with the heat wrap is all that I have needed to do but you may not be able or want to do that if you are worried about min weight or fuel levels when you get off track. Once you have the starter blanket on the starter you could add a 3" brake cooling duct from the front bumper to the starter and throw some cold air at the starter but the issue is usually the hot exhaust radiating heat after the car shuts down.

Dave

sfo
For now I have made a thin aluminum shield to manage the heat. If that does not work i will try a remote solenoid like the old days.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Jose, CA
Is there a heatsoak solution for S550 starter motors? My problem is after a race we go into impound and car is turn off. Then we are released in 10mins and the heatsoak prevents starter from turning over. It cools in time and car starts fine. Whole car is new racecar build from 2019 gt with a couple 100 miles.
Did you ever find a solution for you? I have the exact same issue.

On street, starts up quick every time.

Heat-soaked after a session, it won't start for 10-15 minutes until it cools down. When it won't start, it does not even try to crank, just no response.

TMO Supporting Vendors