The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Temporary paint protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I haven't had a problem with the roof line. I've gotten a few nice rubber marks up there, but those have cleaned off. The area of my hood that has suffered from chips is just above the headlights. My clear bra runs down the lower side of the car just below the crease in the lower door line and ends behind the rear tire. It's done a good job, but I should have run it up on the shoulders in front of the rear tire.

My windshield looks like it has been through a sand storm though. I'm thinking about trying some glass polishing compound to see if it improves it.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I put on two coats and it was a pain to get off with high pressure cold water. I finally could get it to peel back enough to get my fingers underneath the layer, enabling me to pull off in sheets. Bit of work to get off the vehicle but protected my carbon fiber hood quite well. Water soluble so I would imagine it might work okay on tape ,but the concern would be it needed a strong force of water to get it going and there could be the risk the pressure could peel it back. My thought would are the stickiness of the product could adhere initially , so some risk it could peel tape with it? Interesting product I would possibly use again , but definitely not coat as much of my car as I did the first time around.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Two coats is what's recommended and that's what I used. It didn't come off as easily as I thought but it wasn't that bad either. I did not apply it over the hood stripes but I did use it over a Boss Registry vinyl decal without any issues. I peeled it up and it didn't affect any of the small lettering. I only used watering hose water from the spigot and a plastic edge scrapper to carefully catch the edge of the film. Took me less than ten minutes to get it all off. Bill did put it on more of his hood and roof than I and I'm sure it took longer.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Tyme. The Carbon Fiber was a bit of a chore to get started and at one point I wondered if it would come off. Painted surfaces were not bad, but good to hear from the Slayer about his stripes , since that was your initial concern.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
One bottle should cover the front bumper, the hood with two coats. The kit I bought had two 8 oz. bottles and a mini roller kit, which really helped when I applied the stuff. If you wash up the roller quickly after usage, it can be used again.

Bay Area
We have any paint experts here? I have fresh paint on my Bumper and fenders. I can’t put my ceramic coat or PPF on for awhile and have a track day lined up on Feb 27th. Would anyone that works with paint think that putting this on my car for a weekend be OK?

Byronj, I am not a paint expert but I have been using this for three years and my paint looks great. As others have mentioned, it can be a PITA to remove but I have had it covering my stripes on the hood and the doors and it never caused any discoloration or lifting. I use a hose or pressure washer to get the stuff off and my paint and stripes are fine. That may not answer your question but I would not hesitate to use it over fresh paint vs. tape.

One side note.......it may be water soluble but the piles of wet, goopy material that I washed off in the fall are still visible all over my asphalt driveway. It's almost like someone left grey paint patches to dry. I tried to scrape them up with my fingernail and they were fused to the asphalt. I don't know if anyone has seen this but I would recommend you pick up the piles of after you wash them off and not let them dry.

TMO Supporting Vendors