The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thinking about picking up a S197 4.6L 3V

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 3v/3650 combo is very reliable when cared for. I used to have a 2006 that I tracked a lot and it didn't really give me any issues. Engine mods are a terrible value haha. If you get one, just do basic engine stuff as an air intake and tune cover the majority of power gains to be had. Could also do longtubes if you felt like it, that was a nice increase but the install sucks. I ran mine on the original radiator and it was fine. They don't rev that high so heat was never an issue.

Suspension wise they are identical for all purposes, the longer control arm can be swapped over if desired. Mine had about 78k on it when I sold it, had been driven hard (but cared for) since 41k. They are great cars, and are dirt cheap now. Are you going to be street driving it a lot? If you can get some weight out of the car, they can be pretty quick even with 300-330 hp.

Thanks, Cory

I appreciate the info

I'm going to have to put my plans on getting another S197 on hold for at least a little while longer now as I just pulled the trigger on something else today

I'm a bit reluctant to say what it is for fear of getting banned :eek:

In any case, I'm still going to be keeping tabs on S197 stuff because like you said there are some really good deals out there now

I'm going to need to find more space!

George

Just chiming in here, I agree with the 05-09 body lines! I love the simplicity and pronounced fender flares. I can’t say I like it over a gt350 but it’s up there for sure!

Side note, there is a nice one on here for sale with about $100k on it and PLENTY of solid suspension mods. I caught myself looking at it again last night .

Pretty sure I've seen the one you're referring to (I think you meant 100K miles not $)

Definitely a lot of tempting deals out there

Sorry to see we didn't land another 3V track rat, but still wish you success and happiness. If you change your mind, I promise I'll give you the answers to your questions next time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Boone

I'm still hoping to add one down the road, but I simply don't have the room at the moment

TMO Supporting Vendors