The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tips for shipping wheels and tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently sold my wheels and tires to a forum member and shipped them to him. I had never shipped complete wheels before so I did an internet search for tips and found the info below.

http://howtoshipwheels.com/

http://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/1410895-how-ship-rims-tires.html

Bay Area
One way to save money on shipping to someone is check with your company. I had another member ship me rims & tires and we tried everything. Which was very expensive. So I went and asked purchasing if I could use our account and they got me a 40% discount. And the receiving dept even loaded them up for me.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
Update on the ShipNex service. I received an invoice for "special handling charges" so the savings was more like 10%. Still worth investigating and I have no idea what special handling charges are. I think this old adage applies here:

If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. :-\
that sucks

I ship more stuff than the average bear. Ship to a business addy if possible, that saves 10-15% off the top. Get a free Fedex personal accoount, that'll save you another 15% on anything you ship using Fedex (of course).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I used the tips provided and shipped my OEM wheels and tires via shipnex recently. Cost about $230 to ship from AZ to NY, 4 separate packages. No weird surcharges encountered.

NFSBOSS said:
I recently sold my wheels and tires to a forum member and shipped them to him. I had never shipped complete wheels before so I did an internet search for tips and found the info below.

http://howtoshipwheels.com/

http://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/1410895-how-ship-rims-tires.html
You can also open up a FedEx account and ship them using FedEx Ground....much cheaper and they come and pick them up....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

captdistraction said:
Avoid shipnex like the plague. Just got hit for another $152 total in overage charges. I've briefly considered calling my credit card company to deny the charges, but its just not worth the headache.

They can go rot in hell, next to our politicians.
Sorry guys. I edited out the shipnex info in this thread so nobody else gets scammed using them.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I shipped my wheels/tires in two gaint boxes through fed ex. cost 84 bucks. they charged it to my fed ex account but I dont see the charge at all on my account....perhaps I got it for free? lol

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK , took a couple Boss wheels with tires mounted into a UPS store to see what they wanted to ship them,
(costs are per wheel tire combo each or one.)

UPS, Seattle to Miami $87 to Kansas City $75 and to L.A. $53 . Seems a little high.

Ship Nex , Seattle to New York $57 according to their site but with the sneaky add on charges I was not going to use them. (read above posts)

Fed X , $ Seattle to New York $62.47, no hidden fees. You pack them. I opened a account on line you print out your own packing labels and they come to you and pick them up.

For me Fed X is the clear winner.

I just shipped the exact same items, and found that opening an account with Fedex was the way to go. I attempted to take it to a fedex outlet and they wanted over $100.00. After opening my own account, for free, I was able to ship the same items for around $60.00..

Having worked for Big Brown my entire career I have seen my fair share of wheels and tires being shipped. The best way we saw was to place a round piece of cardboard over the center section and tape the heck out of the entire wheels and tire. There will be an additional handling charge because they are not in a cardboard box, but I think most shippers will do this. I have shipped roll bars and other big items greyhound and it was very affordable...and quick too.

TMO Supporting Vendors