The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire and Rim Selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So as the title suggests, I'm currently trying to figure out what to put on for rims and tires (stock 2012 Boss 302). I currently am interested in the Apex EC-7s, but I am new to all of this and the offset and spacers are confusing. I've been wanting to put on a square 18x11 setup with the EC-7s, but what ET do I need and will I need spacers on the front or back? My next question is will I need some aftermarket panhard bar if I run 11s? I think I read a few different places that it will be needed if I run anything larger than 10.5s but some other posts made no mention of it. Lastly, I have no idea what I should run for tires, I found Apex will mount Michelin PS4S, but they don't offer any 305 for 18. I'd like to have a street friendly tire but also something that could eventually work on a track. I'm not looking for absolute peak performance, but having 18x11 rims will allow me to work my way up to it if I want to.

I'm new to this stuff so, any information would be greatly appreciated! Also, if there are any threads that might be useful that I should look at let me know. There is a lot of information to sift through when picking the right wheel/tire setup.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
If you're OK with a mildly stretched appearance, 285 and even 275 in 35 or 40 profile are actually OK'd for use with 18x11" wheels. I happen to be running 285/35's on 18x11's (see sig pic).

I'm still running the OE PHB (with a little DIY bushing stiffening) and I did remove the tie-down bracket portions of the bumpstop brackets (left the portion that the bumpstops actually contact in place).

Norm

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
No need for suspension mods to fit the 18x11 wheels. Spacer, yes.

As BS1 Please check out the apex site. I believe they are running a sale again.

I have rwo sets of Apex wheels in 18x11” and 19x11”.

Yes on spacers for a square set up. Extended studs for the spacers.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the information! I looked at the guide from Apex and I probably will run the 285/35 PS4S, but in the guide it said that for 295/35 there needs to be at least -2.5 degrees of front camber and 20mm spacers. How would that translate for a 285/35 setup? Should I just run street camber plates at -2.5 degrees even with the 285/35? From what I read, there would be modifications needed to the strut tower if I want more than -3 degrees and that would be needed for a 305/35 set up.

ARP 3" 1/2x20 S197 are sold from Apex, but I only need these for the front due to the spacers right? The 20mm spacers from Apex seem to only be for Camaro and BMW, so is there a brand/type I should be aware of for the spacers?

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
You should be able to get away with a bit less than -2.5° camber when running 285/35's on 11" wide rims because it's a slightly stiffer configuration than 295/35's on the same width wheels. Think less cornering distortion and less tendency to roll the outboard shoulder under.

I'm running at about -2.0° in my sig pic. Tire wear seems to stay pretty close to even as long as I don't ride the inside curb through a longer arc (doing that puts the outboard tire running at considerably more positive camber relative to the pavement, beating up its outboard shoulder quite a bit more rapidly).

Intermediate-level driving, MPSS, after 10 track days ↓↓↓
MPSS after 10 track days.JPG

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors